bargain? scopes in Victoria be quick :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cheers Tony and Steve.

Called him today and picked the unit up this arvo :) .
In great working order with the leads and manual. The first sig gen he tried to test it with was playing up so he tried another one which worked.
:) So he threw the apparently non working sig gen in with the scope.
Got them home and they both work fine. Just needed a bit of a rattle in the back of the car.

Ahhh happy days. Thanks heaps again Tony for going to the trouble to let us all know.

Cheers... Dean

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No problem at all Dean, looks like it was your lucky day today! I'm just glad that they went to guys like us rather than one of the second hand oscilloscope resellers that you see on ebay all the time. I'd always thought it was probably places like this that they got them from (probably for a song) and then they auction them off to the highest bidder. I'd been thinking for ages a uni re-kitting would be the sort of place to get one but didn't know how to find them... I couldn't believe it when I saw the buy it now price and the fact that they were fully functional (and would be demonstrated as such), and to top it off included a set of probes!! Just dumb luck on the day, and figured if I couldn't benefit at least someone else hopefully could which they did, and as it turns out my good deed was returned! :)

Cheers,

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
It's Here!

:D Superb job on the packing Steve!! would have required some really rough treatment to cause any problems! Quickly unwrapped and powered on to see that the crt is working and producing a trace. Will have to wait a day or two before I can get it home and have a proper play. Looks to be in excellent condition too!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
How have you guys gone with your scopes? Mine works pretty well on channel 1 but channel 2 has a bit of an issue... seems like it is in the attenuator section, as if I jumper the output from channel one attenuator to the input of channel two (post attenuator) it works fine. The weird bit is that if I jumper from the input of channel one to channel two input but don't have anything plugged into channel one, then channel two works fine. I've had a look at the circuit diagram and about the only component I can see that might be causing this is the one meg resistor on just before the output (it is made more weird by the fact it doesn't matter what position the channel one attenuator is in as long as it is connected)... Also could be the switch I guess, I've got contact cleaner, and the switch contacts are exposed, but the position of the second channel one is an absolute PITA to get to, so I haven't managed to clean it yet.

Also discovered that my sound card is very good at generating sine waves up to about 80Khz, but sucks at square waves. The 1Khz squarewave has HEAPS of ringing but at least it is recognizable as a square wave, anything above that you are pushed to see that it is really a squarewave ;) I think I will have to make myself a square wave generator...

I also adjusted the sensitivity of the trigger as it was really really difficult to get it to lock on to a waveform, but I think that is partially to do with the problem with channel two, which seems to be "bleeding" into channel one a little bit, and probably confusing the trigger circuitry. I will say the whole thing looks very well made, and if I can't work out what is wrong myself, I think it would be worth getting professionally fixed (provided the cost wasn't hideous). But in the mean time I CAN use channel one quite happily :) If I ever need the second channel two (and I haven't worked out what is wrong with it myself) then I can look at getting it serviced.

Anyway I have packed it away for the time being, because I really need to finish the second speaker, and clean the house! Life of a bachelor finishes tomorrow with the arrival of one two year old and the mother in law!! Still have a few weeks till the other half is back, but I think the MIL will be slightly less forgiving if I don't get the place in order ;)

Pics of the guts of the scope attached ;)

Tony.

Attachments

• DSC_5706.jpg
    DSC_5706.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_5707.jpg
    DSC_5707.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_5708.jpg
    DSC_5708.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_5709.jpg
    DSC_5709.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 65
scope progress

Hi Tony,

I haven't had a chance to fiddle with mine much, although I have put a sine and square wave through both channels separately and both appear to work ok. I haven't run both channels at the same time yet.
I am still learning, it's my first scope although I have wanted one since I began to fiddle with electronics back in the late 70's

Cheers.. Steve

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
haha that sounds just like me!!! though my awareness of scopes probably wasn't until 81. First for me too (and also still learning), apart from a soundcard based one (using the EA soundcard preamp kit) that ran out of steam at about 10Khz ;)

cheers,

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.