Banned from SteveHoffman forums

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Acid et al,

Acid, welcome fellow troublemaker. I've been banned from everywhere, expect here. Just one example would be an ATI support forum. I was having stability issues with a new game and suspected the recommended drivers were at fault. Fanboys attacked. Some self professed guru who worked in his brothers PC shop and who fixed all his conflicts by freely swapping hardware off the shelf, got under my skin, insisting my PC that met or exceeded min requirements all had to be replaced.

The mods gave me fair warning I was headed for a ban, my reply was that if that's the extent of their help, _please_ ban me. They banned us both. I had a total of less then ten posts and he had over a thousand. I was only there to get a problem solved though. The updated patch was released that same week and solved all my issues :)

I've walked the line a few times here, but never crossed it with both feet... you just get passionate about certain things.

I think there's a few other things that make this place work.

The common goal in our quest for the ultimate audio experience.

Our disgust for snake oil, those who thrive on it, and those who are unwilling to see beyond it.

Tolerance for all who are making an effort to better their knowledge, project, whatever, basically the lesser skilled such as myself.

Marketing is frowned upon, which I think keeps snake oil at bay, along with the diligence of the people when it does rear its head.

I don't blame the guy for banning you, I'm surprised that you seem surprised by it, maybe you don't have the experience getting banned I do I don't know. Maybe you'd hoped he could defend his stance a little better?

You went to his turf and muddied the waters. Your intentions were good from our point of view, but from his, you may as well have been stealing food off his table. I applaude your efforts.

On a different note, all the above posts about feedback and control theory brightened my morning. Good stuff! Too good for a thread of this nature, I fear it will get burried, as most out of the box thinking typicall does.

Cheers,
Chris

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY said:
Should I draw a picture of an example? Or just propose a gedankenexperiment?

Oh, I can do both, it's just I am not sure that it would conform to reality (whatever that is). An obvious case would be a beam of light and an object moving through it at close to the speed of light. If the shadow of that object is shown on a surface very far away, you can calculate that with finite speed and distances, the shadow would move faster than light speed. But would it?

Jan Didden

Here's an easier one. Consider two objects, each a light year from Earth and a light year from one another, froming an equilateral triangle. Now turn on a laser pointed at object 1. Swing it in an arc 60 degrees to hit object 2. Though delayed by a year, the "spot" of light would be seen to move from object 1 to object 2 at many times the speed of light. It transmits no information from 1 to 2, so there's no relativity violation.

With a source that subtends 60 degrees, you can see a similar example but with a shadow by moving your hand across the source at very much less than light speed.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
SY in your eample it would take an observer on earth a year to realise the spot has moved from #1 to #2, no? That is just lightspeed, not more (1 lightyear in 1 year, by definition).

In my example, the moving shadow, the question arises, which observer sees it move faster than light: the observer at the lighthouse, the one at the place where the shadow strikes, another one or none? We are talking relativistic speeds & distances so somewherew a time-dilution would occur, no?

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
classd4sure said:
Seems as if A had a link to B and you swing the beam along that link it would also transmit information and be faster than light.. an illusion. It's not really travelling from A to B though, is it?

That was my problem. It would take one year for the observer to see the dot move from A to B: He would see it at A, and then after the spot goes to B it takes a year until the image of the spot on B gets to him. So, it takes a year to see a change in position of one lightyear -> lightspeed, not more. Right?

Jan Didden

Hmmm, I think what's being neglected is the point of origin. The point of origin is never A. There's one point of origin, and two travellers each having their own destinations.

So say you the observer on earth aims the light at point A for 5 seconds, then take two seconds to swing it to B and aim it there for 5 seconds more.

What you'll see in a year (wouldn't it really be two years though, it has to go there and back) is a dot on A for five seconds, and after it vanishes, two seconds later it appears on B. It's not because it went from A to B faster than light, it's because they both left from the same point of origin, two seconds apart, and hit different destinations but at equal distance.

Yeah?

Best,
Chris

Chris, that's right. But, form the POV of the observer, the spot of light (something totally analogous to a shadow) moved from 1 to 2, a distance of a light year, in seconds.

If there weren't the two year delay, relativity WOULD be violated because information would be transmitted at greater-than-c.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.