Balanced preamp needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a preamp that has one pair of balanced inputs and one pair of balanced outputs, as well as the usual RCA I/Os. Most importantly, it has to be CHEAP! Does anyone here know of a kit that has these features? Due to the extra long cable runs I am forced to deal with, I am currently using a DJ mixer. It has all the right features but I know I can do better. I have already shopped around for a pre that will work for my application, both new and used and I have learned that anything new is going to cost big money and anything used will be of questionable condition. Surely there must be something out there that will fit the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
R.

I'm looking for a preamp that has one pair of balanced inputs and one pair of balanced outputs, as well as the usual RCA I/Os. Most importantly, it has to be CHEAP! Does anyone here know of a kit that has these features? Due to the extra long cable runs I am forced to deal with, I am currently using a DJ mixer. It has all the right features but I know I can do better. I have already shopped around for a pre that will work for my application, both new and used and I have learned that anything new is going to cost big money and anything used will be of questionable condition. Surely there must be something out there that will fit the bill. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
R.

This one is balanced IN/OUT and does RC unbalanced as well. It is based on a design by Douglas Self.

Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

I need balanced inputs because one of my components has balanced outputs. I need the balanced outputs to drive amplified speakers which are located in another room. I need the RCA inputs because I will feeding this system primarily with a Mac Mini based music server. To do this I will need to find some sort of USB to RCA interface box which I do not have yet.
Rick.

What about the 40 foot plus run to the amplified speakers? I tried RCA cables and the noise was horrible. The guy across the street is a CBer. His radio is a total splatter-box. I used to be able to listen to his end of his conversations over my Toaster! Until I showed him what 1200 watts of RF energy can do to his TV reception.
This is completely legal for me BTW.... :)
He got his radio repaired.

How cheap? Well, I'm thinking low to mid three figures Canadian.
I have looked at the commercially available preamps and the cheapest I have found is the Rotel RC-1570. The local dealer has some for sale at $1000 + tax.

Now, having read all the posts in this thread, I realise I can live without the balanced inputs. BUT, the long cable runs to the speakers still demand XLR cables.

I have a sheet metal brake, a well equipped workshop, I can solder and I can read schematics and instructions.
Surely this can't be THAT difficult.....

You can just about any of these options with all kinds of bells and whistles.

I’d go with Doug Selfs design if you want a completed concept. I think the DS design has phono?

What I would personally do is a Salas DCG3 or DCB1 (depending on gain needs) balanced and paired with a Maya R2R which I can control from a smart phone app.

Member TeaBag and TVicol have kits of each, making life easier.

Doug Self Preamplifier Kit

The Doug Self design that I posted earlier does NOT include a phono preamp for vinyl. It fits in a 1U case. Doug Self Preamp from Linear Audio #5

I do have a few built PCBs lying about that I'd make you a deal price on if you wanted save the time to build. It has been a popular project.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.