Balanced PCM1702 question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I am missing something but, whats the problem, if he uses the pcm 1702 it will lach the data on the analog out on the third clock cycle after LE going low so all that stuff about timing issues is not relevant as long as you keep withing the cycles.

Re: Balanced DAC

Elso Kwak said:
Hi Thijs,
Yes I admit it is a bit confusing. But schoolteacher as I am I wanted you first to read the thread on the Audio Asylum. ;)

As Guido Tent pointed out for two's complements signal it works by inverting the DATA signal before entering the DAC to get a opposite phase in the analog domain. To be precise it works for all the bits except the least significant bit. This is documented in Horowitz (the Art of Electronics, book)page 476 in my second edition.
In the Pass DAC the inverting process is done with NOR or OR gates. I don't remember exactly. The elegancy of the scheme by Pass is no time difference beteeen the inverted and non-inverted digital signal. I am not sure it is important. I always used the inverted signal obtained by a 74HC04. No new developments on my front as I have given up the balanced DAC idea. Slightly smeared highs to my ears.

PCM1704 is a special case as you can, with the voltage at pin 10, arrange for inverted or non-inverted output.

TDA1541 is not difficult only use one chip for the normal signal (L& R) and one chip for the inverted signal (L & R). Of course this only works well if all dacs are equal. They are not in real world, that is a problem with these balanced DACs. I have been using two TDA1541AS1 in a balanced configuration.

PCM1702 on a CS8414 NON-OS mode 5?
I would use mode 6 (18 bits outputmode ) and add two zero's to get 20 bits format for this 20 bit DAC.
This can be done with two D-type flip-flops. I can dig up the schematic. If you don't insert "zero's" you will get sound output but the volume will be much too low.
Why am I doing this???
:confused: :bawling:

Hi Elso Kwak.
I had DAC with PCM1702 and DF1700 , the receiver is SAA7273.
I wish i can do NOS for my DAC. Please help If it is possible.
Can i remove df1700.
Many thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.