Balanced AC power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The fact that many main plug and sockets in the US and europe have no safety earth on them is truly shocking to me. I have to say in many thing the u.k. might not cut it these days but we have the best mains plugs and socket design in the world IHMO.

That whole thing that you could by accident you could use a trailing gang plug WITHOUT an earth is appalling and i would thing is would be hard to argue against the U.K. system of an individual fuse in the plug per device on top of whatever the manufacturer put inside the device. Ok with modern RCDs at the consumer unit these are becoming less relavant but they are an added layer of saftey which cost virtually nothing.

Phil

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Phil,
Standards have changed in North America as they have everywhere else.

Grounded AC sockets have been mandatory for a very long time here. Only in older houses do you find ungrounded sockets. If you renovate, you must do so to current electrical code.

-Chris

Why not ?!
- my source is a DVD player, it has originaly no safety earth connector, just N and L at the mains
- and my amp is on a wood board, without a chassis, so the safety earth isnt connected
I guess I am in safe though, cause the transformers separate the mains.

Cortez said:
Why not ?!
- my source is a DVD player, it has originaly no safety earth connector, just N and L at the mains
- and my amp is on a wood board, without a chassis, so the safety earth isnt connected
I guess I am in safe though, cause the transformers separate the mains.

Same here. Unfortunately only labs designed with grounding requirements have the earthed leg.

Hi,
so Cortez did mean it.

But he is using the VERY SPECIAL case of double insulated equipment throughtout the audio system.

Can we still assume that your amplifier has no exposed metal (i.e. conductive) parts?

Just be very carefull that if any equipment that is not double insulated (with the little double square logo) is properly earthed with a safety ground.

> But he is using the VERY SPECIAL case of double
> insulated equipment throughtout the audio system.
I think its not so special, here every DVD player is like this.

> your amplifier has no exposed metal
No metal chassis, but wood.
And the biggest metal is the heatsink, but its not connected to anywhere.

> Just be very carefull that if any equipment that is not
> double insulated is properly earthed with a safety ground.
My amp has a trafo, so I dont get, why should I fear from a shock.

Hi,
I think its not so special, here every DVD player is like this
and is becoming much more common for many audio sources.

BUT it is not exclusive YET.

You might inadvertently add a product, anywhere in the chain, that is not double insulated.

Most power amplifiers are NOT double insulated.

If a mains operated product has ANY EXPOSED CONDUCTIVE parts, then you must either ensure the double insulated rating is not compromised or apply a safety earth to EVERY exposed part.

Hi,

there are some countries (The Netherlands for example) where a safety earth is needed only in the kitchen, cellar, and garage. The rest of the house has no plugs with safety earth but relies on an FI switch wich measures the current going out and compares is to the current coming back.
As soon as the difference is more than 20mA (or 30mA) it switches the main voltage off.

To use the ac-balanced -power I had to feed my fathers stereo from a plug in the cellar (wich also had the advantage of leaving the transformer humming all by itself in the cellar too.

William

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.