baffle step compensation methods

I will show you that sometimes you can use extra BSC and sometimes you do not need it. First is an example with a baffle step around 500Hz, and you want a crossover LR filter 2nd order at 800Hz.

View attachment 1015119

You can see the baffle step in blue. Pink is the response I wanted, and I used this filter and it worked on the baffle step. Red shows what the filter would do without the baffle step so you can see what the filter looks like by itself.

Now, look what happens when we try to use the same 2nd order type of filter, but this time the baffle step is at 500Hz and the crossover is at 2,800Hz.

View attachment 1015120

I cannot get the orange driver response to line up with the wanted pink response. The filter is too simple by itself.

Now, add the BSC circuit...

View attachment 1015121

Now we can get exactly the pink response. Again, the red response shows what the filter does on its own, and you can see it has a bump in it which you cannot do with the second order filter by itself. There are also other ways you can do it.
I agree the above concept but for dropping SPL because of baffle step just to add two drivers for LF should do the trick. Nice and simple analysis you have given AllenB

Sure, many "solutions" to choose between. Usually there are some trade-offs involved on whatever problem one wants to tackle, like baffle step, and it is important to choose the suitable solution that gets the system forward, forward without worse problems. For baffle step compensation the compensation in xo seems the most obvious solution, without bad drawbacks. If SPL is concern, just use more and bigger woofers to get system sensitivity up to required level.