Baffle 36mm thick, do i need to chamfer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How would a cavity resonance manifest itself with the sound or freq response measurement? Would 7" driver in a 6" opening cause an anomaly at 13560/6= 2250hz or so? Or is it higher in frequency because the driver itself is in the middle of the cavity with the magnet/cone reflecting to the wall 2" away? I would imagine its higher up in frequency than the driver operates in a 2 or 3 way. Full range would likely have more issues.

How would a cavity resonance manifest itself with the sound or freq response measurement? Would 7" driver in a 6" opening cause an anomaly at 13560/6= 2250hz or so? Or is it higher in frequency because the driver itself is in the middle of the cavity with the magnet/cone reflecting to the wall 2" away? I would imagine its higher up in frequency than the driver operates in a 2 or 3 way. Full range would likely have more issues.

I was just repeating the mantra of the designer.

I can visualize a conical opening on the back of a woofer projecting energy to the back wall in a different way than a mitered <to the back> baffle.

P

Post more pictures.

Here's the baffles after a bit more work. I've done the front and back panels separately, as I can't get any larger bits than 10mm chamfer and 12mm roundover for my el-cheapo 1/4" router. The back panel doesn't look as good as I want it to. It's currently rounded, while the front panels is chamfered.

Should I redo the back panel (could go for 12mm plywood if I did), to make the chamfer properly align with the chamfer on the front panels? Or should I simply do some manual chamfering work, maybe adding a bit of putty to smooth things out?

I recessed the screw points a bit at the back, as I expect I need to cover the back of the screws with something to smooth out (eg. bitumen, or just putty?). Should I have left the full depth for the screws to bite in?

I haven't rounded over the front panel top corners, as I expect I won't round over the top side edges of the boxes. Is rounding over recommended here as well?

Lastly, I didn't cut fully through the holes for the tweeters, as they don't need the full depth of the baffle to fit. My thinking was that this insulates the tweeters a bit from the vibrations of the main chamber. But the thickness of the MDF left (about 8mm) might be too little. Would I be better off just sawing through the speaker holes completely?

Thank you for any advice!

Attachments

• DSCF0083.jpg
    DSCF0083.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF0084.jpg
    DSCF0084.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF0085.jpg
    DSCF0085.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCF0086.jpg
    DSCF0086.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCF0095.jpg
    DSCF0095.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 152
Here's the baffles after a bit more work. I've done the front and back panels separately, as I can't get any larger bits than 10mm chamfer and 12mm roundover for my el-cheapo 1/4" router. The back panel doesn't look as good as I want it to. It's currently rounded, while the front panels is chamfered.

Should I redo the back panel (could go for 12mm plywood if I did), to make the chamfer properly align with the chamfer on the front panels? Or should I simply do some manual chamfering work, maybe adding a bit of putty to smooth things out?

I recessed the screw points a bit at the back, as I expect I need to cover the back of the screws with something to smooth out (eg. bitumen, or just putty?). Should I have left the full depth for the screws to bite in?

I haven't rounded over the front panel top corners, as I expect I won't round over the top side edges of the boxes. Is rounding over recommended here as well?

Lastly, I didn't cut fully through the holes for the tweeters, as they don't need the full depth of the baffle to fit. My thinking was that this insulates the tweeters a bit from the vibrations of the main chamber. But the thickness of the MDF left (about 8mm) might be too little. Would I be better off just sawing through the speaker holes completely?

Thank you for any advice!

Yikes! The whole point of a router is that the same thing happens ALL around the hole.

Normally, a "tang" makes sure the router bit traces a hole.

Don't "bear" on the tang means drag the router gently after making sure the depth setting has your cut in mind.

P

Yikes! The whole point of a router is that the same thing happens ALL around the hole.

Normally, a "tang" makes sure the router bit traces a hole.

Don't "bear" on the tang means drag the router gently after making sure the depth setting has your cut in mind.

Which of the pictures are you referring to? I left the parts where the screws for the woofer sit un-routed / un-chamfered to allow them to bite properly in the MDF.

Last edited:
90% x zero (in most cases for us) = zero.

dave

I assume you are thinking about single driver systems ( here in the multi-way thread), but I would argue I have never seen/heard one done well without some amount of filtering, be it passive in the speaker or active (preferred) in the amp chain. I have never seen a driver of any kind that does not need any help.

There are several old sayings that have wisdom:
Don't over think the small stuff
Fix the biggest problem first

If the OP wants to go further than just knocking the sharp edge off with a rasp, then the only correct way to proceed is to make a series of baffles with different methods and measure to the differences. Round-over, bevel, cove, flair, and so on. Which is more important, lack of edge of total airflow?

As the OP has clearly said, his router can't spin a bigger bit, I recommend a wood rasp. It does not have to be pretty.

but it does have to be smooth.
Or should I say would it be smooth with a rasp?

On the baffle I'm using at present, I have used a 45degree chamfer still need to smooth the edges.
Next one I have a 28.6 dia 9.5 radius bit.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.