Bad vibrations: Or taming your vinyl front end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Today's research was into how one might make a damped brush to go on any cartridge. If I understand correctly, in the Shure VST-V the damping was thick silione in the hinges. The stantons/pickerings OTOH seen to mount the CF brush in the damping gel.

Starting to scratch my head over how to replicate this without suitable tooling and came across the Jico stylus shown in the image. That looks like it would do the job nicely and should be able to be retrofitted onto a range of MM carts. Of course Would need to peruade Jico to sell them on their own.

Any other ideas how to try this on the cheap?

Attachments

• stanton 890.jpg
    stanton 890.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 301
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Today's research was into how one might make a damped brush to go on any cartridge. If I understand correctly, in the Shure VST-V the damping was thick silicone in the hinges.

That’s correct. See the very detailed US 4275888 patent (*).
Patent claims (claim #12) achieving damping vibrations occurring both vertically and perpendicularly to disk surface.
With my tests, I haven’t seen damping action for the lateral movement (due to record eccentricity). Perhaps it can be achieved with a brush of the kind detailed in patent US4514836
A very good read touching many aspects of interest is here:
High Fidelity Phonograph Cartridge - Technical Seminar | Shure Technical FAQ

George
(*) and go through referenced preceding patents to steal more ideas

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Once again George you have come up trumps. Shure interestingly didn't see 0.5Hz eccentricity OR lateral resonance as a big issue and were focused entirely on warp in the techical seminar. And they get the same 9-10dB reductions as we have seen presented here.

Townsend claim nearly 18dB reductions with their damper. But those are marketing graphs so pinch of salt needed! Sure Max must have at some time shown some real numbers?

Once again George you have come up trumps. Shure interestingly didn't see 0.5Hz eccentricity OR lateral resonance as a big issue and were focused entirely on warp in the techical seminar. And they get the same 9-10dB reductions as we have seen presented here.

Townsend claim nearly 18dB reductions with their damper. But those are marketing graphs so pinch of salt needed! Sure Max must have at some time shown some real numbers?

Townsend may achieve 18dB reduction with the oil bath compared to 9dB with the Shure brush, but this is not a simple case of 'more is better'. The Townsend method makes it harder for the cartridge to ride over a warp, the Shure brush makes it easier for the cartridge to ride over a warp.

The devil is in the details of how and where the damping is applied. It makes a BIG difference. See my post #15.

Ray K

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just to be clear, I don't consider warps a problem. I don't have any warped records and If I did I would consider flattening them again or investing in a clamp. I DO want to damp resonances in 2 planes.

As we would all have to pay to be able to discuss the AES paper in detail we can't delve into that at the moment, but the Shure papers George linked are actually anti pivot end damping. But Shure didn't make arms.

The other issue, which I am more interested in at the moment is how does the DIY'er with limited capabilities make ANY of these damping methods for testing.

(and note, if the AES paper is correct then the SME3009 S3 with VST-V really was the best there has ever been, which some have been telling us for years :) )

Joined 2002
Paid Member
didn't see 0.5Hz eccentricity OR lateral resonance as a big issue

Bill, the record eccentricity has attracted my attention and it causes me some headaches :)

You may have noticed this from the FFTs of post # 39 and # 40 but I will show a series of FFTs for to illustrate the point.
First, ten FFTs of 40 seconds recordings with a resolution of 0.67Hz (44100Hz sampling, FFT size 65536 points)

George

Attachments

• 10l.png
    10l.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 9l.png
    9l.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 8l.png
    8l.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 7Hl.png
    7Hl.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 6l.png
    6l.png
    31 KB · Views: 34
  • 5l.png
    5l.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 4l.png
    4l.png
    31.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 3Hl.png
    3Hl.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 2l.png
    2l.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 1l.png
    1l.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now, FFTs of the same recordings, only with a resolution of 0.021Hz (44100Hz sampling, FFT size 4194304 points)

There are a few things to notice while comparing the low resolution FFTs with the high resolution FFTs .
Take your time watching them.
The secret :D is that all recordings were done on the same TT, with the same arm, cartridge, platter mat, RIAA pre ect.
The only difference between them is the vinyl record that the needle was reading. There are ten different records here.
My first conclusion from this is that the arm/cart resonance profile details (frequency, amplitude) may be -most often are- influenced by the vinyl record used.
I’ll add some comments tomorrow.

George

Attachments

• 7Hh.png
    7Hh.png
    82.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 8h.png
    8h.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 9h.png
    9h.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 10h.png
    10h.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 6h.png
    6h.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 5h.png
    5h.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 4h.png
    4h.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 3Hh.png
    3Hh.png
    79.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 2h.png
    2h.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 1h.png
    1h.png
    81.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well the record doesn't change the peak resonant frequency. The 0.55Hz spaced spikes is scarier than I would have expected tho. Do you have any records where this is not the case?

What is the average music content level? -36dB can't be more than 20dB down from average?

I reviewed all my LP rips with test tone recordings.

There is no AM.

Inspecting the files in the time domain, the record eccentricity and the arm/cart resonance cause amplitude undulation of the test tone envelope but they do not cause amplitude modulation (there is no ‘modulation factor' to speak of).

I eat my words and I apologize to Lucky, to diyrayk and to anyone else for the noise I generated.

Would you be willing to post some wave files of test tone recordings?

Yes Bill. It reduces the peak of the arm/cart resonance and reduces the effect of record vertical wraps.
Alas, as you have seen it has no effect on the peaks caused by the record eccentricity.

We shouldn’t forget the two other ‘humble’ functions of the brush, namely groove cleaning and continuous discharge (to ground) of record static electricity. (On another post I may show some screenshots of the effect of static discharge through the needle, it’s not very nice)

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Excuse the empty post.
gpapag: What do spectrum for your test tone recordings look like? And, what do they sound like? Would you post some wave files of test tone rips?

Although there is no rational explanation as to why I should bother with TT, I find myself spending more time on vinyl investigations than on all the other aspects of audio combined.:D

Barleywater I post four files (1kHz 7cm/s lateral recorded as 16/44100 wav) which you may analyze. The attached FFTs (0.021Hz resolution) are from these files
If you want something else, tell me.:)

Thorens TD160MK II/SME3009Impr/Denon DL-103 cart (all modified)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxue9eeaod6zkic/Thorens%20TD160MK%20II%20with%20SME3009Impr%20%26%20Denon%20DL-103%20cart%20%28all%20modified%29.wav?dl=0

JVC QL-A2/ Stanton MK V cart
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfs8hqlh595o94c/JVC%20QL-A2%20%26%20Stanton%20MK%20V%20cart.wav?dl=0

Kenwood KD-3100/ Stanton MK V cart
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5gwuqzpbt0jpcd/Kenwood%20KD-3100%20%26%20Stanton%20MK%20V%20cart.wav?dl=0

Technics SL-BD22D/P34 cart
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cuw9xdzn1s5dpus/Technics%20SL-BD22D%20%26%20P34%20cart.wav?dl=0

George

Attachments

• 4 Kenwood KD-3100 Stanton MK V cart.PNG
    4 Kenwood KD-3100 Stanton MK V cart.PNG
    53.9 KB · Views: 166
  • 3 Technics SL-BD22DP34 cart.PNG
    3 Technics SL-BD22DP34 cart.PNG
    51.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 2 JVC QL-A2 Stanton MK V cart.PNG
    2 JVC QL-A2 Stanton MK V cart.PNG
    47 KB · Views: 161
  • 1 Thorens TD160MK IISME3009ImprDenon DL-103 cart.PNG
    1 Thorens TD160MK IISME3009ImprDenon DL-103 cart.PNG
    48.6 KB · Views: 171
Joined 2002
Paid Member
what's with the 18Hz ish sidebands on the technics?

Bill, this Technics is one of the cheapest TT constructions I have seen but IMO well engineered for this bottom price range.
The arm is very light, nothing is adjustable, even the cartridge is a pair with the arm (see 1st & 2nd attachments). Thus due to very low (non existent) damping, arm/cart resonance frequency had to be pushed high at 19Hz.
The elastically suspended small-size DC servo motor drives the feather-weight alum platter through a belt in an exemplar way.

The JVC definitely seems the cleanest, wonder what the secret is there?

JVC was a leader in passive (oil) and active (electric) arm damping in the seventies. and it shows on this medium range TT.
The arm is suspended in the vertical plane by gimbal (pin) bearings.In the horizontal plane by a double bearing. Upper race on top, lwr race at the bottom of the shaft (I don’t know if they are immersed in oil, the construction is sealed, ). The resonance is very well controlled as you saw, despite no Q adjustments as on the higher price models of JVC. Balance weight is elastically decoupled (3rd attachment)
FFT shows also the excellent performance of the core-less DC servo motor at a direct-drive mechanism implementation (4th attachment). Clean top of the 1kHz peak. No cogging as with many medium priced DDs (see Kenwood FFT).

Thorens case (synchronous AC motor belt driving a moderately heavy platter) shows the small rotation instability and the hit and miss rotational velocity accuracy, typical of such driving train.

TT sample / Tone Frequency (HZ) / Tone frequency (musical note) / Tone instability (+/-Hz)
Technics / 1000.23Hz / B4+22cents / 0.2Hz
JVC / 1000.94Hz / B4+23cents / 0.25
Kenwood / 999.92Hz / B4+21cents / 2.5Hz
Thorens modded / 997.74Hz / B4+17cents / 1Hz
Thorens stock / 1008.08Hz / B4+35cents / 1Hz

George

Attachments

• 1 Technics SL-BD22D.JPG
    1 Technics SL-BD22D.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2 Technics P34 cart.JPG
    2 Technics P34 cart.JPG
    721.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 3 JVC arm gimbal support.JPG
    3 JVC arm gimbal support.JPG
    656.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 4 JVC motor.JPG
    4 JVC motor.JPG
    617.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Interesting. Suprised the kenwood is so bad. I have a KD-550 that I want to use to experiment with motor drive changes on. Which side bands are the motor cogging?

I also have a Sony pancake motor to measure. What is interesting about the Sony is that is uses a std disk drive controller.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.