Bad Crossover need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can any body in the UK help out. I brought a speaker kit off Wilmslow audio last year, I changed the tweeters a couple of weeks ago and had Wilmslow re-jigged the cross over. The speakers now sound real bad, and do not really want to get a new cross over through them. Is their any other company/business in the UK that I can get to do me a new cross over, as I can not build from scratch and need a big helping hand.

Thanks

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
You need to tell us what drivers the kit uses.

Is this crossover a modelled job or has it gone through a measurement, evaluation and tweak cycle? I assume since its from Wilmslow's crossover design service it will be a simulated crossover without any evaluation. Or is this an existing kit that Wilmslow sell?

We really need more info before we can offer anything.

I am sure this is not right. This is the kit that I got originally Link , but had a Scanspeak D2905/9700 instead of origainl tweeter and a crossover with Hovland Caps. I then had a chat with them a while later, as I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I was told that to get the best and go for a Scanspeak R2904-700009 Ring Radiator Tweeter. They re-done the Crossover for me to work with this drive combo. Just seems bright and the mid sounds all wrong.

ShinOBIWAN said:

Is this crossover a modelled job or has it gone through a measurement, evaluation and tweak cycle? I assume since its from Wilmslow's crossover design service it will be a simulated crossover without any evaluation. Or is this an existing kit that Wilmslow sell?

As said they have re-jigged the original cross over from kit, both time I presume?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I use the R2904 treble in my own speakers and I've come to the conclusion that its a waste of money. The driver itself has a fairly smooth frequency plot but there's a 2dB hump at 7.5Khz that definitely needs sorting otherwise these sound too forward for my ears. The off axis and power response is also very ragged on these drivers - p1ss poor actually.

I've got a pair of new aircirc treble units from Scanspeak on order from Wilmslow and I plan to replace them with these.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but that's my experience. BTW they can sound quite fantastic when you sort out the issues with them but I've heard about the same quality for less and the fact that there's anomolies with the driver is inexcusable at the price.

ShinOBIWAN said:

:confused:

I've got the R2904-700000, the 700009 is just the black version. Aside from the colour both are identical so my observations from personal experience when working with this driver are relevant.

Thanks for your replys. Yes it only down to colour. As said does any one know of any body I can send speakers to, so they can have a look at them? Willmslow said they will sort it out, but I am not sure as they were not right in the first place. Can any body vouch for Wilmslow do they know their stuff?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ups! sorry Shin....my mistake....I misread the numbers

But also my experience is that although theese tweeters have a nice flat impedance, they do need RC at the top which people often leave out, and if attennuation isnt 100% accurate speaker tend to sound harsh

Hope someone lokal will help caiptain with these fine drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.