Backloaded Horn for Fostex FE 83

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ah but WHICH New Year project? I am thinking of making a set of these next year. From the illustration, and assuming 12mm thick plywood I have guesstemated the dimensions to be:

1. 212x72 mm
2. 72x766
3. 72x816
4. 96x344
5. 72x816
6. 72x918
7. 344x930
8. 344x930
9. 96x930
10. 72x50
11. 72x740

I don't have access to the original text but I am thinking this should work. Assumes overall dimensions of 96x930x356 mm

It looks like a nice design with a small footprint, and I am looking forward to having a beautifully crafted, Japanese designed set in my home next year. Got to love Mr. Nagaoka's creative design work!

Yes, I have it as well, but that's not the point. It's still copyright material to the best of my knowledge, and irrespective of how likely or unlikely it is that the holders are paying attention, the forum could still get in trouble if it is found here without authorization from the holder. The same goes for providing links to copyright material. As I understand it, that's the way it works.

Last edited:
TBH, I doubt in this case Fostex would give two hoots; but in general, it's advisible not to post plans, or links to plans, that are owned by someone else, unless they've stated they are freely distributable.

The F-81 is an interesting little box. As it expands and is tuned to ~1/2 wavelength 50Hz, it's technically a horn, although if anyone wanted to call it a labyrinth I doubt there'd be many arguments. Seems a bit ambitious in tuning to me, but AFAIK, most people who've built them or heard variations thereof are happy, so YMMV as always.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

At any rate, the original F-81 by Nagaoka calls for use of the FE83 or the FE83E. From what I've read from other topics and especially your posts Scottmoose, is that some adjustments to the enclosure would probably be needed anyway for the FE83En to work

When I get the time I will attempt to figure out how to use MJK's worksheets and do some modelling.

They're easy enough to use.

TBH, in terms of modelled response (1/2 space) from the factory specs., the F-81 is vile with the FE83, loathsome with the FE83E, and reprehensible with the FE83En. OTOH, boundary loaded, things look a bit prettier. They're not really about technical brilliance though. Bottom line: if you like small wideband drivers, variations on the back-horn theme, and have a modest sized space, I suspect there's a good chance you'll like what they do. There is even a commercial cabinet inspired by them which I believe has gone down very well with its buyers. YMMV as ever.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yes, I have it as well, but that's not the point. It's still copyright material to the best of my knowledge, and irrespective of how likely or unlikely it is that the holders are paying attention, the forum could still get in trouble if it is found here without authorization from the holder. The same goes for providing links to copyright material. As I understand it, that's the way it works.

The way It has been explained to me is that unlike a patent, it is the image itself, or the actual words that are copyrighted. So technically if you redraw the image, it is OK. So the hand drawn schematics we see around are OK.

This image is probably right from the book, BUT if a link is directly to a legitimate site that has rights to the image then I believe that is fine too. Its links to sites that have illegal direct copies of copyrighted stuff that are not allowed.

The way It has been explained to me is that unlike a patent, it is the image itself, or the actual words that are copyrighted. So technically if you redraw the image, it is OK. So the hand drawn schematics we see around are OK.

I don't think so - even hand re-drawn schematics violate copyright if they are simply copied from a printed schematic that has copyright restrictions. The confusion may arise from a test case where somebody copied parts of a phone book. It was ruled that there was no work or talent invested in simply listing things alphabetically so copyright was not available. But a schematic contains plenty of work, nicely printed or hand-hewn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.