back to back isolation transformers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Isolation...

If any of the secondary winding is grounded, if u happen to touch the non grounded connection of the secondary, then because u are already at ground potential(unless u are safely isolsted from floor etc...) u will get shock as u would from the mains. So do not consider secondaries to be safe anymore.

Gajanan Phadte

First attempt with the above schematics: no success.
With primaries in parallel I read each trafo sees half the tension and the secondaries is series show a quarter of it :(

I will have to put two pairs of trafo's: de first two with 220VAC primaries in series to series secondaries 110VAC; then second pair with series 110 to series 220-center tapered to ground. That should make technical balanced power :)

Well, now I'm too sleepy to solve this anyway. :sleep:

Appart that, I found a trafo maker that will do a hopefully good one, 2KVA, for around US$200.
I want demonstrate the benefits first with my free trafo's. ;)

Thanks for watching
M

Mauricio,

Something is definitely amiss..... Lets assume the following -
Both transformers are the same model with exactly the same specifications.
The primaries are marked 220v & 0v
The secondaries are marked 110v & 0v
The 2 transformer's primaries are connected in parallel with the 0v terminal connected to the other transformers 0v terminal and similarly, the 220v terminal of the 1st transformers primary is connected to the 220v terminal of the 2nd transformer's 220v terminal

The first transformers secondary 0v terminal is connected to the second transformers secondary terminal marked 110v

You will feed your 220v mains 'hot' line to the joined 220v primary connections.
You'll feed your mains 'neutral' to the joined 0v primary connections.

With the paralleled primaries of the 2 transformers fed, as described above -
Measure the voltage between the 110v terminal of 1st transformer's secondary and the 0v secondary terminal of the 2nd transformer.
If you actually measure that 220v, unplug the mains and ground the connection that connects (this is already connectedand you will leave that connection between the 2 transformer's secondaries) the 0v terminal of the 1st transformers secondary and the 110v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary.

Re-energize the transformer's primaries. Measure accross that same 110v secondary terminal of the 1st transformer and the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary. It should measure that same (approximately) 220vac. If it does this, now measure between that 220v terminal of the 1st transformer's secondary and ground. It should measure 110vac. Measure between the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary and ground. It should also measure 110vac. You now have 220vac balanced (technical) power.

Now check the phasing -
Measure between the 'hot' line of the mains and the 110v terminal of the 1st transformer's secondary. If it measures 110vac you're almost there, and that terminal will be connected to the 'hot' of your outlet. Similarly, measure between ground and the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary. If it also measures 110vac that secondary's terminal will be connected to the outlet's 'neutral'. If you don't get these measurements, you will probably read 330vac for the first measurement, which means we have reversed phasing and the 110v terminal of the 1st transformer's secondary will connect to the outlet's neutral and the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary should connect to the outlet's 'hot'.

Sorry for the 'long winded' instructions, but if you follow them, it should produce that 220vac balanced (technical) power.

Please don't electrocute yourself, and I'm assuming you're familiar with standard safety practices. [Please don't do this while standing in a bathtub full of water].

Best of luch and regards,
Paul

Dear Paul:
I am grateful over you for your interest and kind help :)

Both transformers are the same model with exactly the same specifications.
They are identical.

The 2 transformer's primaries are connected in parallel with the 0v terminal connected to the other transformers 0v terminal and similarly, the 220v terminal of the 1st transformers primary is connected to the 220v terminal of the 2nd transformer's 220v terminal
Yes.

The first transformers secondary 0v terminal is connected to the second transformers secondary terminal marked 110v
Yes. Well, actually they have no marks but I followed the symetry patern and then make cross connection when it did'nt work.

You will feed your 220v mains 'hot' line to the joined 220v primary connections.
In fact I used a 500VA variac to feed them gradually. I only dare to go to 30VAC an made the readings, with a light bulb on secondaries.
Could the high power or low impedance explain the low V read?

With the paralleled primaries of the 2 transformers fed, as described above Measure the voltage between the 110v terminal of 1st transformer's secondary and the 0v secondary terminal of the 2nd transformer.-

It reads 1/4 of feeding V, for what I remember. :eek:
The strange thing is that the primarie's connections points measure half the V between them (?) when powered.
Could one of the TX's be dammaged? I only checked for secondaries integrity. I'll check again this afternoon.
Maybe with mains VAC and a fuse :D

Sorry for the 'long winded' instructions, but if you follow them, it should produce that 220vac balanced (technical) power.
I thank you again for the excellent guide .

Mauricio

Dear Paul and Gajanan:

If you are able to read this...I'm still alive :clown:

Yesterday I received my first real isolation TX. I found a gentleman wich is an experienced radio-technician that wired it for me (US$80) using one of my autoformers (what a shame :ashamed: ) EI core. The 2K core made a +/-1K transformer. It looks good, has electrostatic shield and produces slight humm at idle, non hearable when I close the special iron box I built (wich will be wood covered). He didn't wire on "split bobin" but "secondaries around primaries" (concentrical winding) configuration.
The bad news is that instead of being 2*110VAC as I asked, the result led to 2*120VAC! Last night I had 226VAC mains and 2*125VAC balanced secondaries. :yikes:
Paul, I followed your guidelines and the balance is OK. I got lost, though, on phasing:

Measure between the 'hot' line of the mains and the 110v terminal of the 1st transformer's secondary. If it measures 110vac you're almost there, and that terminal will be connected to the 'hot' of your outlet. Similarly, measure between ground and the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary. If it also measures 110vac that secondary's terminal will be connected to the outlet's 'neutral'. If you don't get these measurements, you will probably read 330vac for the first measurement, which means we have reversed phasing and the 110v terminal of the 1st transformer's secondary will connect to the outlet's neutral and the 0v terminal of the 2nd transformer's secondary should connect to the outlet's 'hot'.

I did read 350VAC between primary "hot" and secondary "110".
I made the connections you suggest and put that "110" to "neutral" but I fail to see how would this change things, as measuring again showed the same values as before but in reverse sense.
Could you elaborate or send a drawing , please? :angel:

My UCD amps rejected the higher VAC :(
I only connected my active crossover (analog, Behringer).
I'm sold to this technology :cool:
Even if I made some connection mistake the sound obviously improved in many ways. More noticeable are lower noise floor, better music flow, better inner detail all around but specially bass depth, impact and definition (wich I thought was already good!) . It just sounds more like music.

I didn't had the opportunity to listen too much but I'm very happy with this. I don't understand why this technical balanced power is so little known.

I can't imagine how good it will sound when I power all my systems this way :cool:

Many thanks
I wait for your replies.
Mauricio

Hi Mauricio,

It sounds like you've sucessfully configured your new transformer for balanced (technical power). Sorry about the secondaries being wound to too high a voltage..... It might be possible to at least test the transformer powering components, by availing yourself of 'transformer regulation' charateristics. If you could power other components with the transformer, prior to powering your UCD, it might be that those other components might cause the output voltage to sag enough as to not trigger your overvoltage protection on the UCD.

That 350vac voltage reading you've gotten is perfectly sensible. It simply means that input 'hot' @ approximately 240vac is out of phase with your new output 'hot' of 120vac, so that the difference between them is that 340vac rather than the expected 120vac. If you simply flip either the input or output 'hot' and 'neutral', but not both, you should reestablish proper phasing. All this is simply an effort to have the same phase of AC, albeit a different voltage, on both the input and output 'hot'.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Gajanan:
Excuse me. I referred to a single 220VAC to 2*110VAC (in my case 2*120VAC).

Hi Paul:
It sounds like you've sucessfully configured your new transformer for balanced (technical power).
Thanks. It appears I'm not that idiot after all :crazy:

When I connected one of the secondaries in inverted form (swaping 0-110) to the output, maintaining good connection for the "second secondary", I got a "0V" reading from "extremes" leads of the secondaries, instead of 220VAC (read 250VAC).
I guess my first connection was OK (250VAC).
It is that "antiphase" connection that is difficult for me to understand from the wiring. I guess it commes from grounding the "center tap". :scratch2:

It might be possible to at least test the transformer powering components, by availing yourself of 'transformer regulation' charateristics. If you could power other components with the transformer, prior to powering your UCD, it might be that those other components might cause the output voltage to sag enough as to not trigger your overvoltage protection on the UCD.
Yes, I though about that but lowering 20 or 30V would take a lot of components to be connected, reducing current available. May be some light bulbs?
Anyway, I talked to the gentleman who wired it and apparently it is feasible to take some wire turns off and get the right VAC output. He did a neat job, appart the wrong voltage.

That 350vac voltage reading you've gotten is perfectly sensible. It simply means that input 'hot' @ approximately 240vac is out of phase with your new output 'hot' of 120vac, so that the difference between them is that 340vac rather than the expected 120vac. If you simply flip either the input or output 'hot' and 'neutral', but not both, you should reestablish proper phasing. All this is simply an effort to have the same phase of AC, albeit a different voltage, on both the input and output 'hot'.

Yes, I did that. I still see no advantage in phasing primaries hot with secondaries hot, powerwise. Or am I forgeting something?

I'll report back when, hopefully, I get my TX wright. :xfingers:

Rewiring two "220 to 110VAC" 2KVA iso-Tx (from autoformers), as our first plan was, would be 30% cheaper than ordering one 2KVA iso-TX from an established TX brand, here.

Thank you, both, for your patience and support.
Long live technical balanced power! :D
(and long live the humble author of these lines!)

M.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.