BA-3 As Preamp

Listened to the preamp today through two other amps. AJ and TSSA. Sounds great. bumping head on ceiling, IMO. will be more about tweaking of cirucit from here on. Listening to Patricia Barber, Companion, SACD, and it just excellent. Speaker limited at this point. Gotta try UGS to compare. Got the transistors, so will be working on that, populating shunty, and BA output. Will probably go 4 pairs@.5A on output. Gotta figure SE resistor value. Been looking at BA1 output as possible SE CCS.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Here's mine so far. Building power supply next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 910
vdi-

I am interested to see what you think about the BA-3 vs the jfet boz once you get it up and running.

You helped me out w/my Jfet boz a while back, which I greatly appreciate. Can't help but wonder if all the fuss over the BA-3 is gonna make me want to put one together too.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
OK, will do, but be sure you need this much gain. See what buzz said recently about the gain of the ba-3.

Botte and me discussed about a year ago that our BA-3 unbalanced builds had around 8-9x gain, though theory says about 30x!
There were many tries to calculate the exact gain in the thread, but a bit contradictory.....:rolleyes:

so it seems calculation and part dependent......:D:D

Last edited:
A BA3 Balanced schematic

The simplified schematic is attached. It is a different topology from that done by Mr. Pass. It shows two conjoined BA3 Front Ends. The P-MOSFETs are configured like a differential amplifier. Ditto for the N-MOSFETs. I'll gladly elaborate if needed.

Attachments

• ConjoinedBA3Bal.jpg
    ConjoinedBA3Bal.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 994
buzz, that FPC is awesome stuff, you can buy by roll, should even make nice low cap speaker cable, like copper foil thingy without all the work. the board connectors for it are nice for making your own with flex PCBs, which is what i'm doing for some line level stuff i'm working on.

as for your gain mate, good chance your output on the DAC will be going up some with the NTD1 too.

BTW keratherm landed at Mikes in the US yesterday morning, should be with you shortly.

I am going to redesign he preamp for about 10dB of gain with balanced ouput. Still gonna be too much for my horn setup. If NTD1 has little gain then perhaps all is moot and passive pre is in store. Not big deal, as lessons carry over to other things like power amps.

Antoinel, Nelson speaks of distortion reduction due to error current in his Zen V6 article. From what I understand it is the result of special feedback for which he is known, and is different from standard balanced/bridged operation.

I am going to redesign he preamp for about 10dB of gain with balanced ouput. Still gonna be too much for my horn setup. If NTD1 has little gain then perhaps all is moot and passive pre is in store. Not big deal, as lessons carry over to other things like power amps.

Antoinel, Nelson speaks of distortion reduction due to error current in his Zen V6 article. From what I understand it is the result of special feedback for which he is known, and is different from standard balanced/bridged operation.
Thanks buzzforb. I'll read ZV6 and understand current error.