B1 Preamp - Help Me!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That will work fine. You need only a tiny amount of power so this will more than do it.
To match your 170's just stick them in a DMM that has a HFE measurement option. You will know if it does because it will have a little circle with about 6 holes in it.
Stick your 170 in the holes until you start getting measurements that make sense. Leave the 170 in there for about 5 minutes. Thats your measurement. The HFE measurement varies with heat. Thats why you leave it, cuz your fingers will raise the temp. This is what I have heard anyway. I bought mine matched.
Then stick another one in and measure. Write it down and tape the 170 to the piece of paper you just wrote on. This way you know which one has which value.
You have to test dozens of these to get a decent match so really if you can find them matched this is the best solution. I bought mine on ebay from China.... so you can to.
Here you go
http://cgi.ebay.com/8-X-MATCHED-2SK...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247
You only need 2 :)
Lucky thing is that you are going to build this and it will be easy. And then it will work well. And then its going to sound fantastic. And then you will want to build more Nelson Pass DIYs and since a lot of them use 2sk170 you will have 6 more matched :) and thats half the battle anyway.
Just get any caps and try it. Its super cheap to try regular caps. Buy the specified DN55 Dale resistors since they are cheap and Papa recommended. You can swap caps and play for a few days and see how it sounds. Then, settle on some caps and you have it quick, easy, and beautiful.

Uriah

I dont know whats recommended, but I can tell you that mine sounds very good with +/-3% as advertised on the ebay auction I bought them from.
Sorry I cant help more than that. Dont worry so much though. This is an easy build and you can do it. Even Nelson has said that matching is not a necessity. So you can either bite the bullet and buy prematched or buy a dozen and pick the two best ones then ebay the other 10.
Really, its super easy and I am almost as newb as they get.
Uriah

Yeah, 9V.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Professor smith said:
but would that missing 1Uf capacitor account for what im experiencing?

Tolu said:
What would happen when I omit the 10µF cap?

If you are using a single supply, you can only omit these caps if the
attached equipment is cap coupled and without any resistor to ground
on the B1 side of the cap. Otherwise you will have trouble.

But after listening for longer I'm not terribly happy with the sound.

The dynamics seems to be there but the highs are harsh and the bass seemed rolled off it doesnt have that deep sound.

I am taking the vout from the pcm1716 chip through a 10Uf cap into the B1.

In the B1 I am using 2.2Uf instead of 1Uf at the input and 4.7 Uf at the output instead of 10Uf. Can somebody work out what effect this will have?

perhaps the lack of low pass filter after the dac is causing problems?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.