B1 preamp build thread

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think you are talking about the diyAudio PSU board -- Yes, technically it will, but it's complete overkill, and there is no preregulation, so there is not a compelling reason to use it. That PCB is really made for poweamps and things that need bi-polar PSU.

However, if you using the PassDIY B1 board, just use a wall-wart. It was designed to use a wall wart and sounds great with it. If you want to change it later, feel free to do something more complicated.

If you are dying to have a regulated supply on it from the beginning, try this - LV-Regulator

I recently completed two pass B1 preamps - 1. for my son and 2 for me. Both are paired with ACAmp and I plan to use F5 turbo v2 with it. Both have 5-1 source stereo selector.

This is for my son which is using LM317 based regulated PS powered by 22-0-22 rcore transformer. Also I have used +15,0,-15 supply for external phono preamp etc. Here I am using resistive ladder 23 step volume control of 47KΩ.
IMG_20131225_170837.jpg
IMG_20131225_170858.jpg
IMG_20131225_170955.jpg

Another one is for my listening room. Ths is double buffer B1-> (Volume Control) -> B1. This is also using LM317 based regulated PS powered by 22-0-22 rcore transformer. Here I took out unregulated +33V, 0, -33V for Pearl 2 Phono stage. Volume Controls is LDR based Attenuator.

IMG_20140105_200926.jpg
IMG_20140105_200950.jpg
IMG_20140105_201021.jpg
IMG_20140105_201100.jpg
IMG_20140105_201236.jpg

In the rack both look same from outside, hence posting only one.
IMG_20131225_172128.jpg
I find it sounds more lively with double buffer, one before volume control and one after volume control.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I like the layout putting the input selector relays beside the Input sockets.

But you have incorporated enormous loop area into every input.

The Signal to the relay is a TWO wire connection. The Flow and the Return. You must run the Flow and Return TOGETHER to each Relay. The Return bypasses the relay and then follows the relay output to the Receiver, or coax than then feeds the receiver.

Each single Wire Flow from your input sockets must have it's partner Return Wire close coupled or even better a twisted pair.
You have 5 stereo inputs. That requires 10 twisted pairs.

Last edited:
I like the layout putting the input selector relays beside the Input sockets.

But you have incorporated enormous loop area into every input.

The Signal to the relay is a TWO wire connection. The Flow and the Return. You must run the Flow and Return TOGETHER to each Relay. The Return bypasses the relay and then follows the relay output to the Receiver, or coax than then feeds the receiver.

Each single Wire Flow from your input sockets must have it's partner Return Wire close coupled or even better a twisted pair.
You have 5 stereo inputs. That requires 10 twisted pairs.
Thanks for suggestion!
I thought this does not have any gain stage. So I can use bare wires for connection without shield and twisting. There is return path of all RCAs connected together and referenced at ground pin of PS capacitor of B1. Relay switches only live wire of stereo, L and R simultaneously. Do you think it's still problem? It's dead quite and sounding lively as always.

the Signal connection is a two wire arrangement.

If you include a large loop area in that two wire connection you make the input susceptible to interference.

Think of the relay as a single pole switch.
The return runs past the single pole switch as close as possible to minimise that loop area.

Now look at the input of the receiver circuit.
It expects a two wire connection.
You must feed it a two wire connection from your selector board.

Hi 6L6,
I am trying to figure out my input and attenuator connections. I see a jumper on the input switch location R1/L1 to center through hole in photos. Do I use for a 2 input selector switch and it is bypassed for multi selector? Also CCW-W-CW I assume is volume so stepped atten. has in/out on each stack so How do you hook up? Thanks for your help!

B1 BUFFER

Hi
this is my B1 Buffer .
Pcb its from gerber fille .
2sk 170 matched to 7.8 ma at 640 mv vgs
10mf-1mf Audiophiller
JLH Shunt Reg at 22V
LM 317 at 22.10 V
Two separate pots 25kΩ

Attachments

• IMGP2385.jpg
    IMGP2385.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMGP2395.jpg
    IMGP2395.jpg
    982.7 KB · Views: 1,369
  • IMGP2387.jpg
    IMGP2387.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • IMGP2401.jpg
    IMGP2401.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 1,186
  • IMGP2400.jpg
    IMGP2400.jpg
    729.3 KB · Views: 1,137

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I am trying to figure out my input and attenuator connections. I see a jumper on the input switch location R1/L1 to center through hole in photos. Do I use for a 2 input selector switch and it is bypassed for multi selector?

If you only want 2 sources, then use a DPDT switch and connect to the PCB. If you want to use a rotary for 3 or more sources, connect to one set of inputs on the board, jumper the PCB switch connections and switch everything with the rotary.

Also CCW-W-CW I assume is volume so stepped atten. has in/out on each stack so How do you hook up? Thanks for your help!

CCW is ground, CW is in, W is out. ( I think...)