B1 Buffer Preamp

Re: Transporter

warren64c said:
Could you use a pair of B1's to bypass the op-amp stage in a Slim Devices Transporter?

I would guess the sound woudl have to improve without opamps

Probably depends on the circuit. Is it a unity gain buffer? I'd have to guess the opamps are SMD chips and the whole unit is most likely one board. Would you really want to tear it apart just to compare the sound?

transporter

There is a raging debate about the quality of the 5534 opamps used in the transporter. People are offering very expensive upgrades which include replacing or bypassing the opamp stage. Others say the design is fine, just the way it is.

It wouldn't be too hard to pull the signal off before the outputs to run them through the B1 boards and then to the balanced outs.

It would stand to reason that the B1 would necessarily sound better than the opamps (there is plenty of gain coming off the dacs).

Re: transporter

warren64c said:
There is a raging debate about the quality of the 5534 opamps used in the transporter. People are offering very expensive upgrades which include replacing or bypassing the opamp stage. Others say the design is fine, just the way it is.

It wouldn't be too hard to pull the signal off before the outputs to run them through the B1 boards and then to the balanced outs.

It would stand to reason that the B1 would necessarily sound better than the opamps (there is plenty of gain coming off the dacs).

I don't think the NE5534 is anything special. It's not one of those "high-end" opamps. I don't know why they would put 99 cent op-amps in a $2,000 unit, but i can guess. Then it gets a good review in Stereophile.

Re: Re: transporter

labjr said:

I don't think the NE5534 is anything special. It's not one of those "high-end" opamps. I don't know why they would put 99 cent op-amps in a $2,000 unit, but i can guess. Then it gets a good review in Stereophile.

Those NE5534/2 are darn good opamps. Perhaps not up to the standards of the new muscular crew from TI, National and ADi but you get an awful lot of performance for a great price.