B&W 802 matrix 3 crossovers rebuild - bass issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What do you think of it? Makes sense?

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 188
  • FR.jpg
    FR.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 175
There is nothing awfully wrong with Mundorf's MKPs. Certainly not the greatest caps of all times but i struggle to think of a better sounding cap for the price. And for such a high value price can easily become an issue.

That being said, every time i replace an electrolytic with a film there is a decrease in subjective bass level. No matter if it is in a crossover or PS. I am even surprised noone else mentioned this. With break in the bass will become fuller but never really match the fullness of the electrolytics.

Interesting how this will pan out and whether the added resistor will help

Yes, I think adding 0.25 to 0.5 Ohms of resistance is what you need. A very good test of course is to add a full ohm. :) It is very hard without being able to measure the impedance curve. Is the DATS V2 too expensive for you?

There's also a way to use Room EQ Wizard to chart your impedance, but I have no idea how to do it. At least htat's a very cheap method. :)

Best,

Erik

I have to concur. The Mundorf MKP's are fabulous bargains! They are my go-to cap when some one isn't sure if a cap upgrade will sound better and they almost always do.

I personally like them more than the Supremes, but the MKP's are a tad too quiet and dark after break-in. As caps in the secondary locations (i.e. going to ground) they are perfect. They are also among film caps low ESR. For instance, Clarity caps, which to me are better sounding, have much higher ESR's.

Best,

Erik

Good work Lojzek!

Also important to look at the impedance curve however. :) One (often unapreciated) way to reduce frequency response is to reduce impedance so the amplifier is not able to maintain a flat frequency response. Simulation helps to know if this is possible or not.

Simulation is also important when trying to explain to some one how a resistor in the bass section can alter the treble impedance. :)

Best,

Erik

Yes, I think adding 0.25 to 0.5 Ohms of resistance is what you need. A very good test of course is to add a full ohm. :)

So I've got all tha required and ready to go. The situation is following:
- elco 150uf/70v -> ESR=0,26ohm, C=160uf
- MCap 150uf/400v -> ESR=0,05ohm, C=150uf

I changed R5 from 0,56oh to 1ohm and mids are gone, very dark sound.
Elco and R5=0.56 restored the original sound that I remember very well.

So the plan is to get Mcap back and replace 0.56ohm with 0.75 as soon as I get them and I hope this will close the topic. It's so impressive that such small changes can lead to very noticeable changes in sound.

For instance, Clarity caps, which to me are better sounding, have much higher ESR's.

Erik, does it makes sense from your standpoint to replace MCaps in high and mids to ClarityCap CSA? Don't want to spend hundreds of euros to be honest as I'll replace the speakers sooner or later anyway. But if the there is a way to add more clarity to mids I'll definitely do it..

Thank you!

Mundorf MKP's are fantastic for the price. Clarity ESA a little better, but right now should be on sale as they are being phased out. :)

Over here, Parts Connexion and Madisound should have them on deep discount. If it's a few bucks difference, worth it. Otherwise, Mundorf MKP was often the high end cap for B&W anyway.

While I have heard of good results replacing parallel caps (those that go to ground) I am always afraid of spending the cash, so I end up going with cheaper Axon's (Solen) if the original caps are not film.

Best,

Erik

By the way, I wish you had measurements. I have a feeling something is really wonky in your part replacement. Your changes and the effects aren't making a lot of sense.

If you at least had a DATS V2 or similar (I think you can make one with Room EQ Wizard) then you could at least simulate the impedance of the drivers, and the crossover. That way we can measure the total speaker and compare it to the simulation to make sure everything got wired correctly.

Not to mention, you could measure each of the components when you take them out and before putting them in. :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
By the way, I wish you had measurements.
Thanks Erik!. Please see my prev post, I bought ESR measurement device and a set of caps/resistors so I'm playing with it now. R5 and caps ESR are the key here as you assumed, thank you for the hint. They have a huge impact on the sound and looks like 0.2 ohm on top of the current resistance to compensate lower MCAP ESR will resolve the bass issue.
Don't plan to buy any sound measurement devices yet, may be later, currently I still trust he ears )

Analog_sa

Sorry I missed your post. Yes, I have measured the Clarity ESA, MR and Mundorf MKP caps using DATS V2. While I do not remember the specifics, the Claritie's where significantly higher. Well, significantly is still < 1 Ohm. :) But I seem to remember Clarity consistently around 2x for the couple of caps which I had of the same value.

The new copper matrix they are using to connect the leads to the plates may change this dramatically however, so I wouldn't treat this information as gospel, or at least, not long lasting gospel. :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
So I replaced mcaps with supremes in highs finally. It's too early to make a conclusion but looks like there is a positive difference.

Regarding 150uf in low section, after some experiments with different R2 volumes I've found that .76 ohm instead of .56 as in the original schematics bringing bass back.. But something is still not not there it should be so I removed a film cap and installed a bipolar one.

For me the topic is closed for some time, may be i'll replace C4 10uf in mids for supreme if I have absolutely nothing to do )

Attachments

• IMG_6248.JPG
    IMG_6248.JPG
    910.7 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.