B&C dealer - prices too good to be true?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would be very cautious ordering from CelectroniUSA.com. I sent them an e-mail asking for their address and contact phone number. They replied back with a lame canned statement in broken english. I learned a long time ago, if they don't provide a physical location or phone number it very well could be a scam. I'm not saying CelectroniUSA.com is a scam, but it just doesn't feel right to me. I'll go ahead and spend the extra dollars with someone that I know is a trusted site. Just my $0.02

Noted. And to be honest, I think it's a bit deceptive to use "USA" in their name when they are not actually in the US at all, so that's 2 strikes against them. And that's not even counting their counterfeit "exclusive distributor" logo.

In the meantime, I've discovered the 18tbw100 for $349 (or best offer) on ebay with free shipping to USA.

Last edited:
Puerto Rico is a US territory, that is for sure so they are a part of the USA at least as a colony in the least, they actually are close to voting at this point on becoming a state but probably won't happen as they do have tax advantages to stay the way the do. The other fact is they may well speak Spanish as a first language, that is very common for people from their. I haven't seen any outright lies in any of their statement really, but don't see any advantage to purchasing from them with thee shipping costs and warranty issues that would come up. If you lived there fine, but none of us do. The same goes for anything bought on Ebay, be careful about the location of the seller on Ebay and always purchase through PayPal so you have recourse should something go wrong with a purchase there if you ever have a dispute that is the best way to retrieve your funds if you do have a dispute.

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry if I misrepresented the facts wrt PR, I only know what I found with a quick 2 minute google search.

I don't see any outright lies either, but the "exclusive distributor for North America" logo is questionable at best.

As to the rest, very good advice, thanks for that.

Just A Guy,
I posted a note to another member on another thread as I noticed he is from Puerto Rico and asked him to come to this thread and help you with your questions. His name on the site is Guangui, perhaps he will respond and knows of this dealer or can get some first hand information.

Now that there are better drivers than Labhorn uses it makes sense to use them. And it makes sense to fold it carefully for much better (flatter) frequency response. My preliminary sims (not folded yet) show it shouldn't be hard to beat the Lab in every way in the same volume (maybe slightly larger, but no more than 4 x 4 x 2 feet). Here's an initial sim. It's a bit too big so it will lose a bit of it's magic when folded into the appropriate size and shape, but this is the idea.

The problem isn't the fold. The problem is that the required 100 liter rear chamber (and space for the driver) simply won't fit in the form factor along with the air column. I was thinking much as you were when I first heard about the TBW - "Hey, now THIS is how you make something 10dB louder than a stack of 8 lab horns!" Since 300 pound boxes are probably a bit much for a single person to deal with I was thinking about a separate driver unit made out of real Baltic Birch, and a horn flare made out of mostly 1/2" Araucoply that is "latched on". It sure would make moving/stacking easier. Going wider than I already do is not an option - it requires steering to get a good pattern as it is.

Of course I already *have* a stack of 8 labhorns (see the sticky, post #11). But you're right. It's not loud enough. ;) What would even be the point of continuing in this hobby if there weren't any more mountains to climb?

And here I was thinking that the regular price from US Speaker makes it doable.

And the answer is....

Being Canadian, I knew Puerto Rico is not part of the continential US, so I had to research a bit to find the relationship between PR and USA (commonwealth). Despite the answer quoted above, they do seem to be in North America, but they are clearly not the exclusive distributor for North America (as the logo claims).

So... CelectronicUSA is not in the USA. But they are authorized.

OK, so here it is from someone who lives in Puerto Rico (born and raised): Me!

First of all, I don't want to get into the politics because a 500 page single post (not thread) is no fun to write or read. PR is a territory of the USA, aka The Commonwealth of PR, we are born US Citizens by USA law (Foraker Act), all USA federal laws apply, interstate and international commerce is regulated by the US State Dept., Justice Dept, Commerce Dept., and all the US government branches that regulate such activities, Banking is part of the USA system (domestic), USPS considers PR domestic (so rates are as inexpensive as from Miami, FL to Atlanta, GA), depending on the industry some companies consider PR domestic, on EBay sellers that know better ship free via USPS to PR but not to AK and HI, we vote on presidential primaries but not not on the election, we have a non-voting representative in the US Congress that is part of its official members and a voting participant of different commissions (again, cannot vote on the floor), we pay the same social security and medicare rates as in the 50 States (receive the benefits but at a lesser percentage, when compared to the States), we have to pay some federal taxes (contrary to the popular believe that we don't), our passport is a USA Passport, you don't need a passport to come from the USA to PR (it is like flying from one State to another), all federal agencies have working offices in PR, US federal court is big here, and though our Constitution prohibits death sentencing it does not apply to US Federal Court, US Constitution overrules ours, almost every major store that you can think of has stores in PR (Sears been in the island for almost 100 years), etc. It is complicated, and the fight between pro-statehood and commonwealth followers is 50/50%.

Having given a quick background...Unless you live here or visit often to enjoy the island, you don't have an idea of how big Pro-Audio is here, there is an electronics store and/or music instruments/pro-audio dealer in every major city and some small towns. B&C SPEAKERS is an authorized distributor for B&K, but they buy directly from the factory, so they don't have them listed as a USA distributor nor dealer, as B&K considers them international (very common in the sound industry, in the industrial side PR is mostly considered domestic, which has other advantages). The owner of CelectronicUSA is Manuel Plasencia, which is not a common last name, but knowing a few Plasencia's I can tell you they all come from the same family and the ones I know are excellent and honest business people. I don't know or have not heard of Manuel, so just telling you what I know about the family.

From what I have gathered, B&C SPEAKERS (Manuel Plasencia DBA Corcovada Electronic Distributors) is a legitimate business registered with PR's State Dept., and properly incorporate under US and PR law. He also has other websites like: Untitled Page, VoceteoBoricua.com and B&C SPEAKERS. He is also distributor for other lesser known car and pro audio brands, has a legitimate Brick and Mortar store/office/warehouse, and been told that he is well known locally in the pro and car audio industry.

In short, this business is legit, he is taking advantage of our relationship with the USA (by law PR manufactured items bear the Made In The USA label), it is like buying from any other USA dealer/distributor who has a web store, you are protected by USA laws, freight via any of the USPS services is domestic rate (UPS and FEDEX can get expensive), if shipping to the USA no taxes nor special documentation, if shipping to other countries is the same as receiving a package from the USA, he has stock, and if you have any doubts just pick up the phone and call him (PR is a domestic call).

Basically, buy with confidence from him, check shipping rates at www.usps.com, and think of PR as a non-official State of the USA (this will help simplify the complicated politics behind the relationship).

I am not associated to CELECTRONICSUSA, his cheap pricing has to do with the volume he sells and the advantage of them buying from the international price list. I just heard of the guy and his companies, but from asking other related business' and an extensive internet search I can say it is legit.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, for DIY, Car, and Pro Audio PR is a paradise, there is so much sales volume and competition that prices are very good, product selection in stock is wide, you can find quality caps/resistors/pcb/cables/wires/inductors, many wood panel sources cheaper than Home Depot, upholstery supplies shops that carry thick wool felt and poly-fill for damping, CNC shops, arts & crafts stores, etc. And if those are not enough, there is Home Depot, Walmart Supercenter, Best Buy, CompUSA, Radio Shack, etc.

Did I mention temperature is 89 Deg. F right now? Or, that we have the highest murder rate in the USA? (that's food for thought).

Thanks guangui,
At least I knew you were part and parcel of the USA! One of my best buddies is from there, speaks perfect Spanish to go with his perfect English and is the nicest guy in the world, he was in the US Navy and he apprenticed under me in an aerospace company. Lives right here in good old California. I was under the mistaken assumption that you had some tax advantage but I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part. I thought you just took a vote about perhaps voting for statehood recently? Why not join the party, at least then you could vote for the President then. America's second tropical island state, forgetting Guam and a few other gems. As for the murder rate, probably not much different than South Los Angeles.......

Thanks guangui,
At least I knew you were part and parcel of the USA! One of my best buddies is from there, speaks perfect Spanish to go with his perfect English and is the nicest guy in the world, he was in the US Navy and he apprenticed under me in an aerospace company. Lives right here in good old California.

Aren't we all nice guys! I went to very good catholic private schools here, so my English is much better than for the avg. Puertorican. At one time the local engineering university (RUM) was the go to university for NASA and aerospace related companies. They used to fill their "minority quota" and many regular positions mostly with engineers from RUM; those days are over.

I was under the mistaken assumption that you had some tax advantage but I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part.

We used to have a tax advantage, US Law 936, which was repelled some 13 yrs. ago. Under that law we were the world capital for pharmaceutical manufacturers. The deal was that multi-national and USA companies to open manufacturing facilities in PR, the profits from those manufactured products had to stay in PR for 10 years, after that period they could "export" the money back to their accounts in the mainland USA without having to pay US taxes (tax exempt profits). Not only pharmas benefited, but Ford had a wire harness plant, aerospace companies used to make some components here, Owens-Corning had a glass products manufacturing facility, and so on (a very large list of who's who). Every major bank, investment firm, and accounting firm had a large building here, some like Chase, Citibank, and others left after the law ended. The repeal of 936 was the "brilliant idea" of a pro-statehood governor who thought that by getting US Congress to repeal 936 there will be no option but to embrace statehood. Well, it backfired, economy started a downwards spiral that hasn't stopped, not made any easier by current US and world economics. Many years later that former governor regretted the strategy, and called it a mistake.

I thought you just took a vote about perhaps voting for statehood recently? Why not join the party, at least then you could vote for the President then. America's second tropical island state, forgetting Guam and a few other gems. As for the murder rate, probably not much different than South Los Angeles.......

Yes, recently, it was a very confusing vote, as the way it was on the voting ballot was very confusing and made to favor the "anti-colonial" (statehood and independence) movement. Depends on how you look at it, statehood won, but also commonwealth won. In my view, everyone lost, lots of money spent for nothing.

As for criminality, comes with the economic downturn, but especially with being the largest economy in the Caribbean, and the "drug portal" to the mainland USA.

So, did anyone buy those B&C drivers?

how is the tax situation on your side of the pond?
in our country,they sometimes list ex tax prices,but it has to be stated on their website.
that's another 21% out here:mad:

If purchased from the USA, we don't pay any import taxes, duties, or customs. In the past there was a 6.6% import tax, but that was eliminated in favor of a 7% sales tax, as in the 50 States (% varies from State to State).

When importing from foreign countries, trade treaties that the USA might have with those countries (ie. CARICOM, NAFTA, etc.) apply. For those in Canada, you can buy from PR and NAFTA applies. There are always US Customs duties, and customs brokerage fees to be paid (not for shipments from the USA).

I apologize for the off-topic, now back to our regularly scheduled thread...

The problem isn't the fold. The problem is that the required 100 liter rear chamber (and space for the driver) simply won't fit in the form factor along with the air column. I was thinking much as you were when I first heard about the TBW - "Hey, now THIS is how you make something 10dB louder than a stack of 8 lab horns!" Since 300 pound boxes are probably a bit much for a single person to deal with I was thinking about a separate driver unit made out of real Baltic Birch, and a horn flare made out of mostly 1/2" Araucoply that is "latched on". It sure would make moving/stacking easier. Going wider than I already do is not an option - it requires steering to get a good pattern as it is.

Of course I already *have* a stack of 8 labhorns (see the sticky, post #11). But you're right. It's not loud enough. ;) What would even be the point of continuing in this hobby if there weren't any more mountains to climb?

And here I was thinking that the regular price from US Speaker makes it doable.

The problem is absolutely 100 percent the fold. If you sim the original design (before it was folded) it's almost ruler flat (assuming a stack of 8). If you sim the folded horn it's a terrible mess with a massive hole in response right above tuning.

If it won't fit in the desired form factor and volume, that's a problem with the fold. (BTW, it's 50 liters, not 100, that were originally spec'ed for the rear chambers.) The undersized rear chambers don't account for the entire problem though, it's almost as though he didn't account for the offset driver during the fold, which will also contribute to a big hole right above tuning.

I've got the original notes from the man himself during the design phase. I've got simulations. I've posted about this several times in this forum and others. I can send you info if you like. He did not do a good job folding the horn. It never would have made it to market if it was a commercial product, he would have spent the time to fix it.

The ORIGINAL DESIGN is very good and elegant. The FOLDED PLANS are a mess.

BTW, if you lay them out side by side (a row 16 feet long) it's going to be hard to get a good pattern but if you stack them so the mouth is as close to circular as possible (8 x 8 feet) you will probably find them a lot easier to work with.

Last edited:
Gangui, thanks so much for dropping by. You've provided a ton of info here, cleared up some misconceptions and painted a nice picture of the social, economic, environmental and political scene of what I can only assume is a beautiful place to live. And a bunch of useful info about the website in question as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.