B-1 assembly, Pass boards and PEC pots

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
The knobs for the pec pots. What kind are they? All the knobs I have been looking at either I can't find the datasheet (allthough I admit not having searched all that much) or they are just 6mm. Should be 6.32, no?

Yes you're right; the PEC pots being Canadian/American are the equivalent of the old English imperial 1/4inch.
These from RS are a nice Knob. They used to do them in 1/4 inch but you'll have to search.
| Passives | Resistors | Knobs and Dials | Aluminium Knobs

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The knobs for the pec pots. What kind are they? All the knobs I have been looking at either I can't find the datasheet (allthough I admit not having searched all that much) or they are just 6mm. Should be 6.32, no?

Let me look. It was either Mouser or Digikey. I'll be back.

Yes, have a look with mouser: 450-3000

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thanks you. Have you tried the PEC stereo pot? I read Peter Daniels give some praise to it. I am thinking I use that one instead of dual mono pots...

Nice build you've got btw.

Some complained about the channel to channel tracking of the stereo pot. Not a problem with the individual pots, it gives a way to have a "balance" function, and two is how the original is.

russellc

Some complained about the channel to channel tracking of the stereo pot. Not a problem with the individual pots, it gives a way to have a "balance" function, and two is how the original is.

russellc

Yes, I read the thread wherein he says that some people don't like the "mushy" sound and mentions the stereo pot syncronicity issue. I ordered dual mono's myself.

The Aikido switched attenuator from Glassware is designed to offer that facility.
A master volume control in the centre gives big dB steps two channels & 6positions/steps.
Either side is a dedicated L and R small dB steps adjustment that can be used to fine tune the volume or used to balance up an unbalanced stereo signal. These are single channel 12position/step switches.
In practice it works very well.

I tend to leave the L & R set to -0dB and use the master to give 10dB steps from -0dB to -50dB. If I want to be finicky I can add a bit extra attenuation by stepping the L+R down in steps of -0.9dB to give a slightly lower volume.

Because it uses 3 cheap single wafer switches, it gives good value for money.
0.9dB steps from -0dB to -59.9dB and balance control, is as much as I could ever ask of a switched attenuator.

If you want more info on correcting an error see my earlier Aikido post.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/110016-adequate-volume-control.html

It would also make a very good wide range LED/LDR controller pot with balance at each volume step.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.