Avebury A12P build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Strange. They seem to have vanished from the relevant page; they're present for everything else. Have to fix that. And on that note, I'm off, since on principle, I try not to discuss these boxes / the site in question on the forum.
Fixed, and as i suspected it's not all that deep at 16 5/8", so tempting!

Btw i noticed it says for A12 and A12.2p, SPL 89db, 7Ω nominal. Am i correct in assuming that 89db is spec'ed of the Averbury with the old A12 driver?

Dealing with curved board on the 2nd Avebury

If you have to choose between board that curves in or out, choose to lay it down so that it curves out. It is a lot easier to pull it in than to push it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3253.jpg
    IMG_3253.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_3251.JPG
    IMG_3251.JPG
    973.3 KB · Views: 441
spacers

The spacers help keep the vertical partitions in place while glueing and clamping. The spacer inside the H section is tricky to remove. It has to be lifted up straight. Put a couple screw into the board part way in and grab the head of the screws and pull it straight up, it should come out

Attachments

• IMG_3256.JPG
    IMG_3256.JPG
    838.3 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 396
almost done

Had planned to finish sanding this weekend and start applying finishing coat, but only managed to get one sanded, so had to wait till next weekend to finish. Brought the Aveburys inside to start listening. Hooked them up to my Clone Firstwatt F2J. Only able to do a quick listen, but first impression is that they have more bass than Sachiko. The A12P are also nice to listen to. Does not have the shout that the FE206 had. Before the Avebury, I was listening to the A 7.3 in open baffle miniDSP xover to a Emminence Delta 15 and biamped. The A12P mids and highs are silky. In an A/B comparison, one might be able to tell that the A 7.3 mids and highs are a bit better.

Attachments

• IMG_3278.JPG
    IMG_3278.JPG
    870.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    952.1 KB · Views: 285
I would love to hear your impressions of these once you've had some time with them. Particularly versus the 7.3 OB set up you had going.

I've got my 12Ps in the stand mount cabinet right now and I'm very curious how a big cabinet like the Aveburys would change the sound.

Avebury vs A7.3/Delta 15 OB

The A 7.3 /Delta 15 OB was 2 ft X 4 ft in size. It uses miniDSP for xover and EQ. the F2J clone powers the A7.3 and an Adcom amp drive the Delta. The sound was nice and open. The A7.3 mids and highs are exceptional. The Delta 15 had to be EQ'ed to get to 25 in room otherwise it ran out of steam at about 40. The distance between the 2 drivers is about 26 in center to center so they were too far apart to cross them higher than 200hz. Somehow the the mid bass region 120-250 hz which correspond to the xover region never sound very well integrated. Because I use these for stereo as well as home theater, I did not like the bi amp set up in stereo mode because my home theater receiver has no preamp out so when watching movies, I had to disconnect the wires from the F2J to the A7.3 and connect the receiver output to the A7.3 only and limit the low end of the front speaker outputs to 100hz. The OB was never meant to be a permanent setup. The Aveburys provide the desired solution, same speakers for stereo and home theater by just switching the speaker cables. In the mids and highs the A7.3 wins , but in the mid bass and bass, the Avebury wins. The A12P mids and highs are not bad, it just that the A7.3 mids and highs are amazing. The Aveburys mid bass can be a bit much at times. There seems to be a +6 dB peak at around 100hz. I dont know if it is related to room modes or what. I still need to experiment more with placement. The current placement is 2ft from back wall and 2 ft from side wall. I also had a pair of Sachikos a couple years back so I am relying on memory to compare them with the Aveburys. The Sachikos front facing mouths and the FE 206E 's peak in the mid range cause them to have a more forward sound and a large soundstage that seems like a wall of sound. The Avebury's rear facing mouth also produce a large soundstage but they seem a bit more laid back. The Sachikos gets to about 55hz while the Aveburys can get to 40hz in room. The response curve of the Aveburys is 6dB to 12 dB higher then the Sachikos from 160 hz to 40 hz

bqc thanks for the detailed review.

Vaughn,

If you are looking for more impact and space is of concern, the Pensil (even standard one with 10.5" x 11.5" footprint) can be an option. I had my A12 (previous gen metal) in the MarKen and then the DBR cab for quite some time; recently I built a pair of Pensil 12 - sounds better to me.

Your compact bookshelf in a FAST config should be good too with the right woofers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The A 7.3 /Delta 15 OB was 2 ft X 4 ft in size. It uses miniDSP for xover and EQ. the F2J clone powers the A7.3 and an Adcom amp drive the Delta. The sound was nice and open. The A7.3 mids and highs are exceptional. The Delta 15 had to be EQ'ed to get to 25 in room otherwise it ran out of steam at about 40. The distance between the 2 drivers is about 26 in center to center so they were too far apart to cross them higher than 200hz. Somehow the the mid bass region 120-250 hz which correspond to the xover region never sound very well integrated. Because I use these for stereo as well as home theater, I did not like the bi amp set up in stereo mode because my home theater receiver has no preamp out so when watching movies, I had to disconnect the wires from the F2J to the A7.3 and connect the receiver output to the A7.3 only and limit the low end of the front speaker outputs to 100hz. The OB was never meant to be a permanent setup. The Aveburys provide the desired solution, same speakers for stereo and home theater by just switching the speaker cables. In the mids and highs the A7.3 wins , but in the mid bass and bass, the Avebury wins. The A12P mids and highs are not bad, it just that the A7.3 mids and highs are amazing. The Aveburys mid bass can be a bit much at times. There seems to be a +6 dB peak at around 100hz. I dont know if it is related to room modes or what. I still need to experiment more with placement. The current placement is 2ft from back wall and 2 ft from side wall. I also had a pair of Sachikos a couple years back so I am relying on memory to compare them with the Aveburys. The Sachikos front facing mouths and the FE 206E 's peak in the mid range cause them to have a more forward sound and a large soundstage that seems like a wall of sound. The Avebury's rear facing mouth also produce a large soundstage but they seem a bit more laid back. The Sachikos gets to about 55hz while the Aveburys can get to 40hz in room. The response curve of the Aveburys is 6dB to 12 dB higher then the Sachikos from 160 hz to 40 hz
hi
to compare a open baffle with a box lspeaker ike the aveburys seems a bit weird. of course the mid will be better in a open baffle and of course the bass midbass will seem more evident in a enclosure like the avebury?
just a thought

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Vaughn,

If you are looking for more impact, the Pensil (even standard one with 10.5" x 11.5" footprint) can be an option. I had my A12 (previous gen metal) in the MarKen and then the DBR cab for quite some time; recently I built a pair of Pensil 12 - sounds better to me.

Your compact bookshelf in a FAST config should be good too with the right woofers.
youv got mail!
I asked you about dbr vs marken!

Those look really good. I have enjoyed reading about your build. I am thinking about building a pair for myself once I get through with a few other projects that are already in process. Any updates on these or other impressions you have after having them around for awhile? Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.