Avalon Acoustics Speaker build? (or something as transparent)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I've always loved the Holographic effect and also the sound of the Avalon speakers. I know they can be very spendy. And I don't want to be buying the diamond tweeters or anything. I also don't want to get into the crazy hard cabinet builds like they have. I'm just looking to build a two way design on the relative cheap.

I guess basically I want to build a speaker that has that general feel and deep deep soundstage with pinpoint resolution. I just want the drivers and crossovers for now. I'll worry about a cabinet later.

Is there any type of already made parts list out there for something like this? I know some guys made some clones but I don't want to get THAT crazy with it. Obviously mine wont' be clones but I want them to sound good enough.

What about this Eton 7": The Madisound Speaker Store

And this Accuton:
The Madisound Speaker Store

Could those work together? Is there a driver set list I could just copy and buy?

Or is there an already made parts list for some other DIY speakers I should do? It's just I HATE overly warm syrupy speakers. I want something like Avalons or even the Thiel sound. Something very revealing of all the small details and hear every last whisper in the Audience etc. (and obviously not be bright either).

I may even just buy some old speakers with awesome cabinets and just gut em and put in new parts. But like I said I'll worry about the cabinets later.

Thanks.

I did see that pluto before. Neat looking little speakers. I don't need the amp part though and would like something with the Avalon sound and imaging.

I guess I could spend around $1300 or so for the drivers and cross overs? If that would get something decent.

I have some nuforce reference 9 v2 amps right now. Which I think are amazing. Incredibly fast and deep soundstage. Would like some speakers that image extremely well with a ton of air and separation.

Right now I'm using some Vienna Accoustic Haydyns.

My first thought is:
RAAL 140-15D+
c173-6-090
This combo is very good together when used in good cabinet/ crossover
because of the high resolution, very good transient response and closely matched spectral decay(Raal tweeter+Accuton midrange is used in EA MM7)
...at most 2.5k when it's all said in done but the price/performance ratio is very high

My first thought is:
RAAL 140-15D+
c173-6-090
This combo is very good together when used in good cabinet/ crossover
because of the high resolution, very good transient response and closely matched spectral decay(Raal tweeter+Accuton midrange is used in EA MM7)
...at most 2.5k when it's all said in done but the price/performance ratio is very high

I've heard good things about the Raal. That looks like the combo on the Clearwave speakers? I think he's a DIY guy who started selling them. It's still to high than I want to spend right now though.

I know the Eton I posted was used on some of the Avalon speakers before (well not sure if that's the exact one or not). I definitely want pin point imaging and a deep defined soundstage whatever I get. I don't like diffused soundstages and like a lot of air and detail. And these crossovers seem the most daunting part. Maybe there is a kit I can buy. Someone out there must have a proven design with the ceramic tweeter in my price range with a diagram and parts list. I don't think I can do it without a parts list, especially for the crossovers.

I may even just buy some old speakers with awesome cabinets
and just gut em and put in new parts. But like I said I'll worry
about the cabinets later.
Thanks.

I see a couple of options:

1. You have enough money and selling Viennas even more to buy
new good quality commercial speakers which will do what you desire

2. Get a well documented kit and see how it works. You like Eton
because of Avalon, so you might try Eton kits.

3. Take your time and learn how to DIY speakers

4. Modify your Viennas to become Avalon alike, there
is potential in drivers installed which appear to be Seas brand
and add a separate bass box, either as a subwoofer or 3 way
configuration.

..or similarly:

Kairos (Pair)

Kalasan is certainly better looking though, but more difficult to DIY the cabinets.

v1001:

-cabinets are integral to the design of the crossover. You can't just use any old cabinets you want, no matter how awesome. You can of course make them later at your convenience.

I did find that out recently as I was searching. So I will definitely keep that in mind from now on.

I see a couple of options:

1. You have enough money and selling Viennas even more to buy
new good quality commercial speakers which will do what you desire

2. Get a well documented kit and see how it works. You like Eton
because of Avalon, so you might try Eton kits.

3. Take your time and learn how to DIY speakers

4. Modify your Viennas to become Avalon alike, there
is potential in drivers installed which appear to be Seas brand
and add a separate bass box, either as a subwoofer or 3 way
configuration.

Those are all actually great ideas. I love the sound of the Viennas (just this model anyway). I'm already blown away at how deep and transparent they are. And have thought about upgrading the parts in them. I would still need to know what drivers to use to do that and what to actually buy if anyone has any knowledge on that to help me choose.

I didn't even think of Eton having a kit. I just checked and they do. I'd be willing to do that. Does this look like something that would be decent to anybody? I wouldn't mind buying that and then later working on a cabinet to go with it : The Madisound Speaker Store

Anyone have any opinions or objections to this kit then? The Madisound Speaker Store

Should I go ahead and pull the trigger? Seems like a good price and good place to start. From the reviews they sound pretty detailed and good quality.

The Kairos are going to be a LOT better for not a lot more. ;)

You can also do at least as well with the Etons for less.

Ex.

http://meniscusaudio.com/continuum-pair-p-1324.html

The best thing to do on a budget is look through various DIY show winners and then find more information on the design that won that you like (and can afford). The midwest audio fest is perhaps the largest in the states.

Midwest Audiofest 2013 - The premier gathering for audio enthusiasts featuring Speaker Design Competition, Auto Sound Challenge and Parts Express Tent Sale

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.