• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Australian speaker group buy anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm about to embark on my first full range speaker project, probably using the Fostex FE87E or something similar.

The limited selection and high prices of full range drivers in Australia means I'll probably end up buying from the US, but to make an order worthwhile, I'm keen to do a group buy and spread the shipping costs.

So... is anybody interested in a purchase from Madisound ?

I'm in Melbourne (eastern suburbs), and I'd be happy for locals to pickup parts when they arrived, or to post them within Australia at standard postage costs.

I am NOT trying to make money on this - shipping costs would be spread amongst buyers according to the proportion of the total shipping weight that their order is.

If you're interested, list the parts you're after, and I'll get a shipping quote from madisound.

Hey mate,
I'm interested in some speakers from Madisound, and also in Melb...
Email me if you like (i think it's enabled, yours isn't...).
Looking at either Silverflute W17RC38 4 or 8 Ohm 6.5" Wool-filled Paper Cone Woofer or something similar.

Cheers,
Danny

Sorry people, but this group buy isn't going to happen.

Shipping charges pushed the price too high for some people.

For those who wanted Fostex drivers, the savings over the local distributor prices (Major Music in Sydney) were still small, and if I was unlucky enough to be charged import duty, I would have probably paid more than the local price.

For those after the Silver Flute and Hi Vi drivers, unfortunately I can't offer any other suggestions. Does anyone out there want to become a Hi Vi driver agent in Australia?

Thanks to all involved.

If you dont mind me asking, what was the total price of the parts when you sent in the quote?

Was the group buy only to save on shipping, or were you seeking a discount also? Because I find it's often quite easy to get at least a 10% discount on most products over the net if you send an email asking for it.

Considering it's a group buy and the total price may have gotten quite high, i suspect you could've asked for a highish discount and received it.

However, I beleive that if the total cost (including shipping) is over $1000 AUD you have to pay customs and GST. I think to find the approximate cost of customs and GST, add 15.5% on top of the cost (so $1000 would be $1155. not cheap)

Hugz, I'm not sure if your question was addressed at me or Mark, but the total for the group buy was only about US$300, so I wasn't expecting any discounting. The aim was to reduce shipping.

The problem is dividing up the shipping charges. Dividing by weight means that the person ordering larger but cheaper drivers pays lots of shipping charges relative to the actual driver cost.

A larger group would be required to make the shipping small enough.

The fostex drivers are available locally through major music in Sydney, albeit at a fairly high price. The HiVi drivers are not however available locally, and there appear to be few wide range drivers available at all in Australia.

I was looking at getting some Silverflute 6.5" drivers from this. They are under $50 USD for a pair from madisound, however with shipping included, i was quote just about double this (through the group buy). That's a bit much for me, and it'd be more beneficial for me to buy similar vifa drivers locally for around that price.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.