Austin A166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A166 drawings

layertone said:

I do still have the Austin II drawings (a big mess) & will work with Dave (planet10) to do his magic for a final as per ronc approval.

I have tried to redraw the drawings of Ron’s A166 with curved bends in dwg-format from the drawing in pdf-format on the Frugal-horn site The result is still just a ruff sketch. I haven’t don the dimensioning properly yet. I’m thinking that I might apply the measurements from the drawings of the non curved A166 as much as possible. However is there anyone who has, and is willing to chair their drawings of the A166. I would appreciate it very much because I really would like to build a pair.

/Fredrik

Attachments

• a166 curved sketch 1.png
    a166 curved sketch 1.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 262
Re: A166 laminations

wirewiggler said:
I guess the prefered material is Baltic burtch plywood. Has anyone tried using solid pieces of plywood for the strait sections of the pipe and glued them to laminated plywood that has been routed to shape for the curved sections? Would it change the tuning of the horn to use the existing dimentions from the current plan and just round the ends?

Thanks
Bill

Gee, I like this idea. I've shied away from the layer construction because of the waste aspect. It takes a lot of wood to do the whole thing that way! But with plain panels for all the straights, that would save a lot of scrap. Of course the other method suggested - just using something thin and flexible to round off the bend, then filling the voids with epoxy or sand, etc., is another good approach.

The notes here about curved bends vs. angular panel construction suggest that smooth curves are more important than I had previously thought. So, I will look to build mine with curves, one way or another.

And, I'm particularly glad I found Bob's comments, which clear up some of the dimensions in the currently available plans. I'll go back to my new CAD version and try to roll those in.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.