Aurum Cantus AC200/50C2C 8" Woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

I appreciate the post and all info matters.

I'm just not sure I trust the source of a bunch of sizzle and boom car stereo guys who dont like it. You are well aware that how a driver is implemented is everything in this hobby. The right crossover with a good match on the tweeter side can make or break any driver. I don't think subjective tests are going to cut it for telling me if a driver will work with a compression driver and 4 awesome subs in my application. I'm going to stick with objective performance and see for myself. I just know my first step is to know the measurements are there before I let myself get caught up with how it worked with the wrong tweeter or wrong crossover in a test where the rave is the Morel midbass driver.

This next system is all about efficiency and I was looking at 8" drivers to keep the speakers a sane size with a waveguide compression driver. I don't even want to go under 92db/1 watt. I will likely go lower in frequency with a bigger waveguide then. If I'm forced to go wider for the waveguide then the baffle width will support a 10" pro driver. Not looking for 87db hifi midbasses.

I am just finishing my first waveguide speaker that took the XT25 down to 1600hz with active crossing to an RS180. I had these drivers and bought them on the cheap. They are avoided like the plague by passive crossover guys because of their qualities past where you would cross them. In their comfort zone thought they are awesome. I avoid activating the 3000hz issues in the RS180 by it being 35+ db down in level and the twin peaks are off the radar. I lowered the distortion on the bottom end of the XT25 with a 8" wide wave guide. The sweet spot now on the wave guide version XT25 is anywhere in the room. Active crossovers allow phase alignment with 8th order and also for notch filters to tame resonances or break-ups. The result is so impressive to me that I wanted to try something bigger. I'm not going sideways or down. The midbass of the RS180 is to me, excellent. As a TMM it has lots of efficiency.

I am posting next week on the build.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.