Aura BIB's ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Update: Ive been done with the construction for some time now, just done a lot of critical listening for about a month :) . I love these things! They sound very good for the cost of the driver and materials ( a total of about 50 dollars). At first they where a little bright, but once they broke in most of it faded away, with a little help from stuffing in the closed end...

They are being driven off a budget solid state amp putting out about 10RMS per channel. They are fairly efficient, needing only about 3-5 watts to fill the room with satisfying sound. They really come alive with the full ten watts, but tend to run out of excursion quickly with some music. A little EQ at the bottom end(below 50 HZ) or an active high pass solves this though...

They perform fairly well so far below FS. 60 HZ and lower are audible and fairly present. I took them home a couple weeks ago to visit my parents and my Dad's first reaction was "Why do those tweeters need such a big box?" needless to say he was shocked at the sound coming from the tiny Auras, and so was I, considering the living room is 25 by 35 feet. They filled the room with moderately loud sound.

The speakers themselves do have a slight break up in the higher octaves, but it doesnt bother me much. These still need a subwoofer to fill the lower octave(s), but ive been enjoying them without one without complaint. I will add one eventually, Im just enjoying these too much to leave the house and build it :)

Anyone who is a first time home DIYer like me should try these. They have a great quality per dollar ratio and the cheapest BIBs to date i believe. Thanks GM, Scott, and anyone else that helped.

Cheers,

Sergio

gychang said:

Sergio, like to see picture of your build.

My el cheapo BIB is cheap and sounds excellent.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89831&highlight=

gychang
I totally forgot about your build...Sorry i dont have pictures as I dont have a camera (poor college student) I may get some eventually when I finish them. They are bare as of now and im still looking to add a supra baffle. i believe mine are considerably smaller than yours obviously...they are about 45 inches high, floor loaded...

G

Joined 2002
Fast1one said:
Update: Ive been done with the construction for some time now, just done a lot of critical listening for about a month :) . I love these things! They sound very good for the cost of the driver and materials ( a total of about 50 dollars). At first they where a little bright, but once they broke in most of it faded away, with a little help from stuffing in the closed end...

They are being driven off a budget solid state amp putting out about 10RMS per channel. They are fairly efficient, needing only about 3-5 watts to fill the room with satisfying sound. They really come alive with the full ten watts, but tend to run out of excursion quickly with some music. A little EQ at the bottom end(below 50 HZ) or an active high pass solves this though...

They perform fairly well so far below FS. 60 HZ and lower are audible and fairly present. I took them home a couple weeks ago to visit my parents and my Dad's first reaction was "Why do those tweeters need such a big box?" needless to say he was shocked at the sound coming from the tiny Auras, and so was I, considering the living room is 25 by 35 feet. They filled the room with moderately loud sound.

The speakers themselves do have a slight break up in the higher octaves, but it doesnt bother me much. These still need a subwoofer to fill the lower octave(s), but ive been enjoying them without one without complaint. I will add one eventually, Im just enjoying these too much to leave the house and build it :)

Anyone who is a first time home DIYer like me should try these. They have a great quality per dollar ratio and the cheapest BIBs to date i believe. Thanks GM, Scott, and anyone else that helped.

Cheers,

Sergio

I wonder what they would sound like with TB W4-1320SB drivers? I would imagine you would be able to get down to around 45Hz. I was thinking of a floor loaded BiB where the front and rear sides of the cabinets are extended down a yet to be determined length and mounted to a pedestal which would be the loading surface. How did you calculate the length above the floor for loading?

Fast1one said:

Sergio

Sergio what speakers did u end up putting in? which BIB size/enclosure?

gychang

I used the speakers on the first link on the first page...Auras...as for the enclosure I used the dimensions given by GM in the second page.

With the height GM suggested somewhere around 2.5 inches, but i tried several values in that range until I found what I thought sounded best which was ~2 inches...

I'll bite!

Hey, GM

BLH = back loaded horn, yes? After seeing a number of "Spawn of ..." designs I must admit that I'm becoming interested... but as a first horn experiment I was looking for as cheap and small as possible. These Auras certainly qualify as cheap. Whadya got as a horn design for 'em?

Greets!

Correctomundo!

Only a theoretically optimum one, which is neither practical in the scheme of things or an easy build, not to mention would fit most of a typical room.

I haven't kept up with the recent horn iterations, but the Frugal horn series is certainly small.

GM

G

Joined 2002
Re: I'll bite!

AdamThorne said:
Hey, GM

BLH = back loaded horn, yes? After seeing a number of "Spawn of ..." designs I must admit that I'm becoming interested... but as a first horn experiment I was looking for as cheap and small as possible. These Auras certainly qualify as cheap. Whadya got as a horn design for 'em?

This one is small. More of a hybrid BR/BLH design though. Don't even try to listen to metal or rock on this one though.

http://www.madisound.com/pdf/fostexdrivers/fe126e.pdf

"More of a hybrid BR/BLH design though"

a horn with a port in it? Wacky! There's another nice, small one around here called 'makizou' iirc. Either way, the $30 driver for the experimental speaker was a bit more than I was hoping to pay. Not that it's sooo much, but I can't just be like "hey look! I just found $70 in the pocket of these pants! Hmm I can get a couple of fostex for that..."

But a couple of $10 auras on the other hand...

Horn would need relatively med/small footprint. It could be kinda tall. It should not require the presence or absence of walls or corners. I have the woodworking capability to make a medium-complex enclosure ... poorly. I thought of maybe the simpler double-horn "spawn" designs, but haven't seen any info on applying them to a really cheap driver.

errr... this is still on-topic as long as we're still talking about the auras, right? :cannotbe:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.