Audioyin Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you also get them from Sayal? :)

The 8" model (around 13 bucks) actually does a decent job for bass, but I still plan to replace it with a TangBand w8-740c.

If you team up the 6" (plastic cone, rubber surround) with a w3-871 full-range speaker crossed over at 100Hz (as weird as it sounds) it seems to sound pretty nice together. Unfortunately, my only tests were in a less-than-ideal shoebox and I can't say too much more about that.

I still plan on using the speakers (now labeled Power Pro Audio) in a 2-way for use with my computer. We'll see how well they sound in a decent MDF enclosure. Not much time to build those now that I'm concentrating on getting the 5.1 system finished, as well as a home-brew plate amp. :p

Good to know someone else tried 'em out. Have you tried T/S measurements of your own? I'd like to see someone else's numbers to compare notes...

CrisTUFR
Yeah i got them from Sayal in Burlington! Is there more than one Sayal store? Or did you get yours there too? They sometimes have interesting looking speakers there sometimes but upon close inspection usually seem to be of poor quality. Although they do have cheap tweeters which I guess could be used in line arrays.

I don't have tools for measuring t/s paramaters but I could see the 8" working good for bass. I have two 6" ones. Did someone mention them being treated paper? Cuz mine is not paper, feels like poly but could be any cheap plastic really.

The tang band idea actually sounds nice.

Using shoe boxes as speaker cabinets rules :)

I got mine from the Waterloo location (where I'm located). If you go to www.sayal.com it lists all their locations. There are 4 or 5 of them, I think.

The model of Audioyin 6" speakers I have is plastic coned. I bought another 6" off of them that was treated paper. I found the plastic one to sound slightly better.

If you can get your hands on a W3-871S, it actually does make a good partner to the Audioyin. Unfortunately they have a horrible Qts, so they're hard to contain in a box. I figure you can proabably wing it in a sealed enclosure with a tangband with pretty good results. Rounds out the TB's sound a little bit on the lower end.

Just how bad? Any good for learning?

I'm wondering just how bad these speakers are? I've got a Sayal nearby and would like to pick up something to learn on. I'm not to worried about working with MDF but need to start with something basic and cheap first.

Basically can I treat building a speaker using these parts as tutution towards a future speaker? Or are they so bad I'll only learn how much it hurts when I drop it on my foot?

I'm assuming the crossovers they sell are no better?

These would be fine for learning. As long as you can figure out their T-S parameters (which FuzzMeasure can help you with) you can build a suitable box for them. Their Sharp brand dome tweeter also works quite well.

The crossovers suck pretty badly. I bought two sub crossovers because they were on sale, and then I unwound one of the coils until I got the desired crossover for a speaker I'm working on now).

I haven't completed anything with them yet, but I would really like to try one of these days. :)

Cheers,

Chris

I just wanted to say I finally picked up a few things.

Horn tweeter 3x7" according to the label. Don't remember the price but not much.

A 6" midrange. Rated at 150 Watts I think.

A 8" rated at 100 watts.

The higher rated crossover. This was the most expensive part with a pair costing me over $27. The next cheaper felt really light weight.

It's all in a cardboard box right now. The 8" is bottom mounted to fire down. The other two are on the front. I'm honestly suprised in how well it sounds. Plus no smoke

:D

The current box is about 18"x14"x14". I'll likely be buying some MDF this week to build something more permenant. The current sound is fine but I'm wondering if anybody thinks I should change the size? I'm leaning towards 18"x12"x12".

I think I need to fix the crossover to the box some how. I used disconnects and they only fit tightly the tweeter. I'd rather avoid soldering anything just yet. If the crossover is firmly mounted then everything will be okay. But if it's just sliding around -)

Nomis said:
Hello Chris, I also bought a 12" AudioYin Model A1240 and looking for its parameters, before trying to measure them myself.

I agree, the speaker looks fairly well made.... at least for the money it costs.

Have you had any luck in finding some information ?

I only have a 6" and 8" in my basement, so even if I were to measure those two, it wouldn't help. :p

Make sure to post the parameters to this thread once you extract them.

Cheers,

Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.