"audiophools"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Conrad Hoffman said:
Or, why not go to a current drive scheme and keep voltage near zero.

600 ohms is a legacy standard from early telephony days and I'm not sure has anything particularly optimum about it for home use compared to, say, 50 or 75 ohm. 'Zero' impedance current busses, now that makes sense and is a technique common of many analogue recording console backpanes.

Sy, more information please - how do you know that was the cause ?

No need for sophisticated measurements; tapping the cable, then rubbing them on the surface of the table caused clear microphonics. The stuff was a great transducer. I still have a couple feet of it laying around if you want to try it for yourself.

BTW, the tube amp I mentioned earlier was not anything with the initials AN.

Skin effect is defined by phase lagging of the plane wave. The skin depth for a given frequency is where the plane wave begins to lag by an assigned angle, I forget what it is. I don't know if the current lag is audible. Geez, am I getting old or what?

John

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BudP said:
Sy was rubbing the cable with his rabbits foot because his partner was blinded by the double, who had no rabbits foot.
Attached is a skin effect table for RAC and RDC

That table needs very carefull interpretation. On the face of it, a delta-impedance of 5% with frequency sounds, well, significant.

Let's plug in some numbers. Assuming a DC resistance of an interlink of 1 ohms, feeding a 10k load from a 100 ohms source. What would be the change in freq response between 20Hz and 20kHz from an interlink change in impedance from 1 ohms to 1.05 ohms?

At 20Hz, attenuation due to cable Z is 10k/(10k+1). That's about -0.00086 dB. Now at 20kHz it's 10k/(10k+1.05). That's about -0.00092 dB. So, the freq response deviation because of a 5% delta in Zcable due to skin effect amounts to about 0.00006 dB. 20Hz sounds 0.00006dB louder than 20kHz. Are you sure you can hear that? ;)

Jan Didden

No need for sophisticated measurements; tapping the cable, then rubbing them on the surface of the table caused clear microphonics.

Yes indeed - this is true of a large proportion of cable types, as is well known to anyone who has had to use unbalanced mic cable with PA rigs. The fact that the noise produced often seems to have a natural frequency can't help!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
janneman said:
What would be the change in freq response between 20Hz and 20kHz from an interlink change in impedance from 1 ohms to 1.05 ohms?

A more extreme condition would be a low resistance moving coil cartridge (3 Ohms) feeding a transformer that has had its HF response optimised for that 3 Ohms. In which case, the 1 Ohm cable (not unreasonable) would cause the total source resistance seen by the transformer to change from 4 Ohms to 4.05 Ohms; a 1% change that wouldn't cause a noticeable change in HF response of even the most highly optimised transformer/cartridge combination. I really don't think skin-effect is significant at audio, but microphony, oh, I'll believe that.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
EC8010 said:

A more extreme condition would be a low resistance moving coil cartridge (3 Ohms) feeding a transformer that has had its HF response optimised for that 3 Ohms. In which case, the 1 Ohm cable (not unreasonable) would cause the total source resistance seen by the transformer to change from 4 Ohms to 4.05 Ohms; a 1% change that wouldn't cause a noticeable change in HF response of even the most highly optimised transformer/cartridge combination. I really don't think skin-effect is significant at audio, but microphony, oh, I'll believe that.

Agreed. And, actually, I cheated a bit:eek: ; interlinks are more like 0.05 ohms or lower. So the effect really isn't there for practical purposes in audio.

Jan Didden

Correction: I do consider amps that cannot cope with high capacitance speaker cable defect or poorly designed, which really is the same thing. But I wouldn't consider my gear defect because an interconnect makes a difference. I would assume that something has changed and would try to find out what.

Sy,

"edit: I believe that the table is derived using an incorrect formula, the one for skin depth for a planar conductor with no other conductors nearby."

That would be a very interesting point to pursue. The table, as presented, is the de-facto standard used in the transformer industry, for designing high frequency switch mode power transformers. I would be very interested in any additional input.

I posted the chart in an attempt to take "skin effect" completely off of the table, in conductor discussions.

Bud

True, but if an amp showed differences between two non-pathological cables, I'd kick the amp designer.

I would defy anyone to say, hand on heart, that they COULDN"T hear the difference between a 1m interconnect made from a copper conductor, and an otherwhise identical cable made with a silver conductor.

BTW, I am not alluding to the superiority of one material over another: their relative merit is contextual.

pm

Hand on heart, when I've done controlled comparison with line-level interconnect wires (preamp to power amp, both units being properly engineered), I don't hear a difference, except with pathological cables.

Going to silver on a tonearm is a different kettle of fish and chips, as EC has pointed out- I'd be surprised not to hear a difference, at the very least a perceptible level change.

I'm just fooling with the conductor issue right now, using tubular conductors of pure silver and brass in free air to eliminate any contribution by the (IMO non-issue) skin effect and the (IMO potential-issue) of dielectric insulation. At first I thought I could hear a difference. Eventually I could force myself to believe the silver was brass and vice versa. After enough swapping and very critical listening, I concluded there was no difference, but the psychological wall on this one is so high I doubt most people could overcome it. There's also the problem of comparing apples with apples, probably not possible with real world cables that have different construction and/or insulation. I also did high gain diff-amp measurements between a channel with brass and a channel with silver. Any differences were hidden in the low level noise and phase shifts. BTW, with enough gain, you'd be amazed at how much difference there is between supposedly identical channels, even after the levels have been matched exactly. I still believe there are audible cable effects, but they arise from well understood causes. The only difference between brass and silver is resistance, and if you have a situation where a difference in resistance can be heard, you'll hear it. If not, they'll sound alike.

Conrad Hoffman said:
At first I thought I could hear a difference. Eventually I could force myself to believe the silver was brass and vice versa. After enough swapping and very critical listening, I concluded there was no difference, but the psychological wall on this one is so high I doubt most people could overcome it.

I've had a similar experience in two somewhat different cases: comparing a raw feed vs. one compressed ~10 dB by an Aphex Compellor, and the second comparing tracks on a CD sampler I had a producer at work compile of his voice captured simultaneously by different microphones ranging from a ElectroVoice RE20 to a Neumann U87. In both cases switching back and forth I soon lost the ability to differentiate between them. Everything sounded the same. In the case of a delta as subtle, at least for me, as an interconnect I believe it's easy to fool yourself positive or negative in this kind of test without exceptional care, and probably dis-interested 3rd assistance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.