Audiophiles, a different perspective

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audiophiles:

Claim that music comes first, yet are musically unadventurous.

Say they want accuracy, but seem dismissive of actual science.

When they have a sense of style, it's often bad (lovingly crafted out of the best materials but tasteless nevertheless)

Dismiss success stores like the iPod or Bose without trying to learn from those examples.

i dont consider my self anything , i just love music and everything used to make it wether is instruments , a cd player , a sound board etc

i sometimes listen to the music , other times i listen to the gear (why not ? )

i hope i never find the perfect sound (there isnt one) , i just want to keep searching for the fun , anyway with my budget i dont have to worry about that :D

Last edited:
I put a lot of emphasis on "diy" so audiophile is whatever I want it to be.
I just cut the audio chip amp portion from a dead projection TV PCB. Luckily, I found the schematics online which saves me some time; got everything but the input caps. Just need to put together a power supply and hook up some speakers and see what it'll do.

Tinitus said that he didn't like the term hi-fi , he liked more audio .
hi-fi , as 20-20000Hz BW under 1% distortion , is the goal .
Today ,we can reach well above 20 KHz high cut-off limit with HD
recordings and of course with properly sized cut-off points at Dac's end.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Does anyone know the origin of the word Audiophile in English? It seems to date from the mid 1950s, but it's hard to tell. Does anyone have an example from the 50s?

I believe that in French it was first used by Eduard Pasteur who went on to publish the Revue de l'Audiophile in the 1970s. He registered the word with the Acadamie Francaise (though it doesn't appear in their online dictionary)

Wavebourn is right. IF the audio reproduction is really A-OK, then we can more easily enjoy the music. However, Wavebourn and I are audio designers and are sensitive to what we listen through, and sometimes just have to endure (like my latest car radio) in order to get the music and info we seek.

Wavebourn is right. IF the audio reproduction is really A-OK, then we can more easily enjoy the music. However, Wavebourn and I are audio designers and are sensitive to what we listen through, and sometimes just have to endure (like my latest car radio) in order to get the music and info we seek.

Right, and it is a curse... Like, one man saw a beautiful lady on a beach, and started talking to her... She asked him, "What is your profession?" He said, "Machinist!" "Well," - she replied, "Suppose you come to this beautiful beach and see it is full of machines!"

:D

I remembered the time an audiophile friend of mine ask me why was the monitor sounded smeared and lifeless,ect. when he heard a mix through Brian Carlstrom's Manley tube monitors.

I told him as recording engineers, we have to look at the good and the bad and 100% of what we recorded.

Then we sprinkle studio magic on it.

But of course, its more optimal to get a nice signal first, and do little bits of magic.

Then that mastering engineer somewhere smokes a bowl, and steps on our mixes to match the current loudness war.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.