Audiophile Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
otherside said:

Isn't it better to avoid caps in the signal path?, the B1 is a single supply buffer so the caps and biasing are required. Compared to a single pair of JFETs from dual supplies how can the B1 be better? or is it better?
Cheers

It will take me longer to explain to you that you are worrying about all the wrong things than it will take you to build the B1 and see for yourself ;)
Kan'to kai de variese :D

you've not been doing your homework.
The B1 can operate from single supply or from dual polarity supplies.
It can be configured for DC coupling or AC.
It is adaptable to most buffer situations.

Thanks for the tip Andrew.

On the document from Pass this is not mentioned, yes you can alter it any way you want and power it any way you want, but then it wouldn't be the B1 would it? It would be another buffer with different characteristics...

It will take me longer to explain to you that you are worrying about all the wrong things than it will take you to build the B1 and see for yourself
Kan'to kai de variese

Well i don't disagree Juma that listening to it is the best way to decide for myself...
Sigoura tha to kano :)

Cheers,

Of course, why people need to bring up B1 and PGA2310 as suggestions to someone trying to beat Dartzeel, Burmester and Einstein is anyone's guess...

Well like i said on the original post i'm not trying to beat any design or any of these preamps. What i said is that chipamps are hugely underestimated and that when driven with a very good pre amp they perform exceptionally well...

So what this thread is all about is gathering bits and pieces of ideas and information on how to built a pre amp that can drive a chipamp equally well or close to these top machines.

Also i'm not a newbe in electronics, yes granted my experience with audio is not extensive and that's why i'm here asking questions... I'm a professional electronics design engineer and i'm designing dozens of PCBs every year.... so complexity is not a problem...

Look up the B1 thread.

I'm trying... same thing with the LSA, the threads are so huge that it takes literally days to go through them. I think that's a big problem... there should be summarising threads or something... there is so much information and "irrelevant" posts within the thread that unless you've followed it from the beginning it's impossible to do so.

"It appears the opamp inside the PGA is comparable to an OPA134 ..."

Well that explains it. I regard the OPA134 (tho not my favorite) as a reasonable op amp as well. :D

Agreed. If OPA134 were in the PGA, PGA would be very transparent. Chris Muth (Who designs the mastering consoles for the world best mastering studios = we hear his equipment everyday) swear by OPA134 and he uses them for some of his mastering gears. I'm not a big fan of OPA134, but probably the reason BB chose it as a internal opamp of PGA 2320 is to reduce coloration. I think it was a reasonable choice.

I'm still keep testing PGA2320.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.