"Audiophile Optimizer"....fish oil...?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Right. Therefore I recommend you use an async USB DAC with separate clock domains, where the RPi clock has no direct effect on the outgoing audio.

A BBB or one of the other more advanced boards are a better choice if you are OK with the slightly more specialized environment.

The beauty (for me) of the RPi was to tap right off the I2S ...

But this thread is about optimizers not RPi

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I wouldn't install it, but for security reasons:

- It requires a network connection
- It asks you to disable your firewall
- It asks you for your password

From a purely technical point of view, running a streaming service over WiFi is probably the worst transport you can have since it's the most susceptible to interference.

Sorry but I really do feel that you are just someone else trying to pull one over on those less knowledgeable with computers. I'm sorry to say but I'm not one of them.

I've been repairing, and assembling computers and networks for about 6 years including quite a few high end gaming pc's, I've run servers for both games and web (with php, mysql etc). I've used windows server, various linux distros, I can feel my way around HTML, PHP, C++, Assembly, and more.

I'm also sorry to say it but surely you must know how easy it is to fake a few dozen reviews. I'll even give you the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps you did get all of those reviews and only doctored them a bit.

You can not tell me that using a different OS, stripped down, on any powerful modern computer will improve the sound in any way.

I mean what argument could you be trying to make, perhaps with less load on the PSU there is more wattage available to the sound card? Gimme a break

And as cmiu007 pointed out, tell me again how much legitimate Windows Server 2012 licenses are. Even for the "Essential" edition it is around $400. Then hardware, which I'm sure you recommend nothing less than a huge X79 rig with a 4930k but maybe I'm wrong.

Then if you still want to even keep going you have to pay for your program too! HAH

Hello TheTubeAmper,

I'm with you, for years I have used linux with mpd or Logitech Media Server and SqueezePlay/SqueezeLite.
Just last weekend my wife came home from her brother, she helped him setup his new laptop with Windows 8.1. She told me that she really liked Windows 8.1 with the Modern UI apps.

Until then, I have stayed away from Windows 8, but I got interested, after all I like to play with computers. So I installed Windows 8.1 Evaluation on one desktop and I'm surprised how well designed it is. And very fast, much faster than Windows 7. I find the negative reviews about Windows 8 misleading. And somewhere a journalist admits that negative reviews do sell better...

Then I was reading about this Audiophile Optimizer and I decided to swap a harddisk in my audio server and play with operating systems. Windows 8.1 on the audio server sounds similar to linux.

But after I installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials Evaluation and played a few flac tracks with Foobar2000/wasapi, both my wife and I were *wow*ed by the difference in sound. And we listened to a fresh installation without any audiophile optimizations. Really, all I could do was listen and listen more.

Our daughter will be a student for two semesters and I hope to be able to get student discount for Microsoft software, otherwise I stick with the evaluation release and reset the evaluation perido with a command like 'slmgr /rear'

I'm not sure how I want to 'optimize' this Windows based server, perhaps just stripping the GUI and use server core only (command line). Spending €100 on a hobbyist optimizer is for my budget a steep prize, perhaps it's just a bunch of scripts compiled into an executable.

Anyway, this Windows Server Essentials 2012 will be my music server from now on, and I admit that I need to study the ins and outs, like I had to to with linux before.

I'm using LiveTuner, it lets you tune windows for low latency.

I use my PC for everything: audiostreaming, surfing on the internet, video encoding, simulation, ...
Sometimes when I do CPU/HD intensive stuff I get hick ups on my USB DAC.
With this tool no more hick ups :)

I use the following settings:
Device optimizations: desktop
Application optimizations: office/internet
Decrease windows defender priority
Remove temporary files
Optimize windows timer resolution for low latency
Deselect: set windows X's live as default

When you click on analyze it let you see the different optimizations it will do depending on your choices, only when you click on configure those optimizations are done.

Nice tool and it's free :)

The 4 services you need to run your PC as an audio device ONLY on WXP are:

Event Log
Plug and Play
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Audio

It will play music, but not much else and will appear like W95.

There is a ""Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator"" service, that is not the same as above and this can be disabled.

HOWEVER the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service that is needed MUST BE ENABLED or your machine will not boot. If you disable RPC, your OS and machine will NEVER BOOT AGAIN.

Tweaking these services can destroy your machine beyond the repair of any tech geek. Reinstall as well as BIOS level switch adjustments will be needed to get your machine back if you make a mistake.

Task manager:
You can set the priority of the music player app to ''realtime''.
You can also close explorer.exe once you get your music player running.
You can then close task manager, and your pc will be a bare blue screen with one app.

I make no guarantees, and if you destroy your PC it is not my fault.

The above is the barest most stripped version of XP that will run music. I have a dedicated laptop configured like this playing music now into my main system. This laptop cannot do anything else once set up this way - it is a music appliance, nothing more.

I wonder how soundcard configuration normally available only through GUI screens (e.g. switching clock to external one provided by the DAC) is performed on these crippled windows "appliances" upon startup.

In linux it is trivial - calling amixer in a startup script.

The best playback solutions I've found are Foobar2000 with the ASIO plugin on various versions of Windows, and MPD on Linux.

In both cases I compared the SPDIF output with the original FLAC files and verified it to be identical bit for bit. This is a standard test I do on any serious computer audio setup, and once I've proven it to be bit perfect I leave it alone. If the digital side is bit perfect, and you're using an asynchronous DAC that generates its own low-jitter clock, what is there left to tweak? :)

Windows can be dreadful at introducing clicks, pops and stutters especially on older machines. Using ASIO with a soundcard that supports it does help, and I guess removing the unnecessary services helps too.

If the digital side is bit perfect, and you're using an asynchronous DAC that generates its own low-jitter clock, what is there left to tweak?

If the DAC clock is fed back to the soundcard (external/slaved clock) then there is no effect of jitter. If only asynchronous resampling is used (ASRC), the effect is only reduced, never eliminated.

That does not say that SW can influence the soundcard output jitter in any controllable/repeatable way.

If the DAC clock is fed back to the soundcard (external/slaved clock) then there is no effect of jitter.

Yes, this is the meaning of "asynchronous" in the context of USB audio. The DAC sampling clock comes from a local crystal oscillator and the audio data is "pulled" out of the computer at a rate to match this oscillator.

Most USB audio devices are "adaptive" which works the other way around: the computer pushes the audio data out, and the DAC sampling clock is varied to match the rate of the incoming USB packets. Software can influence jitter slightly in this case, but certainly not in a controllable or repeatable way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.