Audiophile coaxial drivers????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Theoretically the tweeter should be recessed so the woofer is a bit closer to the listener. ...Also the ideal shape of the horn mouth is unfortunatelly not the same as ideal shape of a woofer membrane..

Also since the woofer cone is moving the "horn" is not always the same for the tweeter.

Yes but the tweeter as such is at the back !

I was comparing the SEAS C16N001/F to a 2 way combo like the W16NX001+T25CF002 and the crux of the matter is that the 2 way combo sounds more smooth whilte the coaxial probably has better interaction between the mid and tweeter.

However the Beyma driver is very different from the CEAS mentioned above.

I am not convinced that the location of the horn mouth is crucial for the phase, I think rather that the source of the sound is the important element here.

The Beyma is very interesting, I couldn't find a good full range bass reflex alignment for it (perhaps it's easier to do in another kind of box?), meaning that it could be an interesting sattelite speaker when coupled to a sub. Or indeed, by using a dsp in the low frequencies. It has enough xmax reserve for that to work at living rool sound levels.

A fullrange, but not high sensitivity alternative would be this:....I have the 10" version, time alignment is very good, passive crossover much easier than the tweeter response implies, but not phase correct.

It may not be as sensitive as say the Beyma or B&C drivers listed earlier but it's Fs is lower and hence it may go lower in a suitable box.

B&C, Beyma and 18 Sound products often mirror each other.
8CX400F - High Output Coaxial Ferrite Transducer

The question really is which is the better (or best) driver (for a particular appliation).

I've been looking now at the 6" Beyma. Because of its remarkably low distortion and great wide listening spot, it looks ideal in a small closed compartiment within a bigger box that houses a substantial subwoofer. The 90db sensitivity of the woofer part of this Beyma will make it easier to find a decent subwoofer driver that won't need an enormous cabinet.

http://profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/6CX200Nd.pdf

Only minus point seems to be, an inconvenient form that will make flush mounting undoable for many.

Yes indeed, the shape of the basket makes it difficult.
I am not a native english speaker and hence i was struggling to find the good word!
The ciare looks cool as well. It would be good to find distortion curves for it to compare to the beyma who does very well in that respect.

I mentioned previously that my main speakers use the beyma 8bx. As it offers around 90db, it is much easier to get good bass out of it compared to the more sensitive newer 8" speakers. I am really happy with it.

Last edited:
But the Beyma has a "fixed waveguide".

That it does just like the B&C 6HCX51. Wonder what these wavegides do to teh midrnage response of the woofer though. They look imposing.

There is also a bigger Ciare:

Wont the larger drivers beam more? The smaller 6" drivers will corssover to the coaxial tweeter by them time the woofer section starts to beam.

Wonder what these wavegides do to teh midrnage response of the woofer though. They look imposing.

I must say I am wondering about that as well. Even so, the Beyma documentation of the 6" variant shows low overal 2nd and 3th order distortion.
The 8" woofer has a huge distortion peak (unfortunately as it's in black and white I cannot see if it's the relatively harmless H2 or the more irritating H3) at around 2khz, exactly the frequency where the ear is most sensitive. Therefore I would indeed cross it at 1.5 khz, the minimum recommended crossover frequency in the fact sheet. Now if you're using the speaker at living room volumes only, then you can cross a bit lower still. The tweeter response can also use some notch filters, or an EQ in the audioflow.

Wont the larger drivers beam more? The smaller 6" drivers will corssover to the coaxial tweeter by them time the woofer section starts to beam.

That is indeed possible, but I am not sure if this will be very noticeable at around 2khz where you'd probably cross.

Now if you're using the speaker at living room volumes only.

My primary interest in Coaxial drivers stems from the requirement to have the same speaker system for 2 (or 2.1) channel audio and 5.1/7.2 channel video.

This dictated that the system would need 2 tower speakers capable of operating from say 45Hz-20kHz, a sub or 2, and 3-5 smaller speakers for center and surround that had the same "voice" of the tower speaker. Hence the idea of using a Coaxial or widerange driver (to cover 200-20kHz) that would be the same across all 5/7 speakers. Something like these
Pioneer EX series review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Hi-fi and AV speakers

Tannoy Definition 5.1 speakers review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Hi-fi and AV speakers

KEF 7.2 Reference Series review from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Hi-fi and AV speakers

Then I chanced upon a document by Frazier speakers that talked about teh advantages of coaxial speakers...
http://www.frazierspeakers.com/download/coax.pdf

That it does just like the B&C 6HCX51. Wonder what these wavegides do to teh midrnage response of the woofer though. They look imposing.

I run the HX255 crossed at 2 kHz and the crossover point can't be seen in the polar response at all. With a bit of overlap the dip in the woofer response is almost gone, too.
http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=104&thread=22150&back=&sort=&z=5 bottom of the page
I could have taken something with higher sensitivity because it is not running fullrange, but I needed something that fits in the cutout for the CH250.

Last edited:
I will try something from the PA side in the near future - the Beyma 8CX300ND. It is of the type with a horn that extends to the front. The disadvantage of this construction is the slightly more rugged frequency response. The advantage is that there might be less IMD due to the physical separation of the tweeter waveguide and the woofer cone.
Because I want to build a small closed-box active nearfield monitor it looks as if the IMD advantage might be more important for me than the frequency response disadvantage. Furthermore frequency-response aberration might be more easily corrected than IMD.

Regards

Charles

I read an article where they took a coax and added another woofer of the same size and padded it down 6 dB. The problem with the horn in the coax was that it was depressing the woofer response in the lower frequency range. It's an interesting solution for this type of coax. I think the article was from Australia.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.