Audiom | 100-W audio amp is 20 times more efficient than Class D chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An ethernal phenomenon named: "fantasies"

So, as I see, Audium Semiconductors (now NXT) abandonned their 20 times more efficient fancy 100 W audio amplifier and started to explore perpetuum mobile or how to obtain 25W from 5V / 100mA (0,5W - USB2.0) or from 5V / 900mA (4,5W - USB3.0)!

And your view of the underlying theory?

Hello Zola

The few posts you have made to date seem to be in general cynical snipes. There is no mention in that video of USB that I saw. Leaving aside marketing hype, as an expert of 20 years standing in the field your view of the theory of the solution would be interesting I am sure....

A little more detail:

"Audium’s IP exploits the high peak-to-average-power ratio inherent in an audio signal. An audio amplifier rarely operates at full output power due to the characteristics of an audio signal, together with the dynamic range of a volume control. The company’s technology ultra efficiently amplifies the signal over the entire operating output power range. The system architecture includes techniques to minimize both fixed losses and output-dependant variable losses, and the modulation schemes use low switching rates to minimize switching losses. Power rail switching means that the amplifiers operate efficiently from a low voltage rail most of the time, with a DC-DC boost converter being switched into circuit to drive higher voltage transistors on extreme audio peaks. Existing audio power amplifiers, such as Class D, only achieve optimum efficiency at or near full output power. Audium, therefore, provide a significant power saving advantage."

There is no mention in that video of USB that I saw.

That's because it's mentioned on the main Audium web page, not the video.

Audium Semiconductor

Last but not least, why do you (and many others) constantly keep comparing this amplifier with D class amplifiers? According to the poor explanation they gave, it is absolutely not a D class amplifier! If you want to classify it, it is more likely a modified BASH amplifier. And BASH has much less problems with idle consumption!

Do BASH amplifiers require an output filter?

Attachments

• Audium.JPG
    Audium.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 210
Well, nearly 200 people have checked this thread today and I guessd quite a few of those looked at the video link I posted.... For such a revolutionary piece of technology and given the demonstration and extra information I have posted I am really surprised that apart form Zola and tA1 (hope you don't mind but the full monty is a lil long!) none of these lurkers have expressed an opinion! Especially as there were so many nay-sayers earlier in the thread ....

A little more detail:

"Audium’s IP exploits the high peak-to-average-power ratio inherent in an audio signal. An audio amplifier rarely operates at full output power due to the characteristics of an audio signal, together with the dynamic range of a volume control. The company’s technology ultra efficiently amplifies the signal over the entire operating output power range. The system architecture includes techniques to minimize both fixed losses and output-dependant variable losses, and the modulation schemes use low switching rates to minimize switching losses. Power rail switching means that the amplifiers operate efficiently from a low voltage rail most of the time, with a DC-DC boost converter being switched into circuit to drive higher voltage transistors on extreme audio peaks. Existing audio power amplifiers, such as Class D, only achieve optimum efficiency at or near full output power. Audium, therefore, provide a significant power saving advantage."

.. at near idle. And besides, all these rail switching and fancier modulation class D schemes have been seriously explored decades ago and none of them sound as good as regular old straight PWM. Look for AES papers on it. If there were a decent way to get 20 TIMES more efficiency out of an audio amplifier I'm absolutely certain Texas Instruments and Analog devices, etc., would be doing it already. These guys are either on crack or hoping everyone else is.

>> Andrew Eckhardt

.. at near idle.... uh... no .. at usual listening levels ... thats the point

And besides, all these rail switching and fancier modulation class D schemes have been seriously explored decades ago and none of them sound as good as regular old straight PWM. Look for AES papers on it. If there was a decent way to get 20 TIMES more efficiency out of an audio amplifier I'm absolutely certain Texas Instruments and Analog devices, etc., would be doing it already. These guys are either on crack or hoping everyone else is.

...so there are no new ideas then ... ?? ;-) Cos big capital has thought of them all??

.. at near idle. And besides, all these rail switching and fancier modulation class D schemes have been seriously explored decades ago and none of them sound as good as regular old straight PWM. Look for AES papers on it. If there were a decent way to get 20 TIMES more efficiency out of an audio amplifier I'm absolutely certain Texas Instruments and Analog devices, etc., would be doing it already. These guys are either on crack or hoping everyone else is.

Don't worry, the sound quality of the amplifier will be masked by the horrid scream of the NXT BMR's they will be coupled with.

They do qualify their goals, "We are not targeting Hi-Fi or professional audio, we believe our audio is in line with consumer requirements, our target is 1% distortion or less." I have had similar problems with DC switching regulators, i.e. getting decent efficiency at very low power out. They must see a niche in very long battery life, I don't see the USB application being that interesting. If you needed a couple of seconds of sustained output this and regular class D are on par and you are limited by the USB supply in the end.

Last edited:
That's because it's mentioned on the main Audium web page, not the video.

Audium Semiconductor

Do BASH amplifiers require an output filter?

Anonymus1, I didn't say It's a Bash amplifier. I said that "it is more likely a modified BASH amplifier" than a class D amplifier. Look at these output filters, do they look to you as filters for a 100W amplifier in class D? Anyway, we just may assume how this amplifier works, no dataseheets, neither any explanation from the manufacturer! Does it seems to you a little bit weird that we have to assume something in a so precise science as electronics is?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.