Audiolab M-DAC Inside/PCB

Hi Joseph,

Yes ineed I sould build such a system, but I would be "Killed" if I diverted my time away from completing the MDAC upgrade.

I have an Agilent E5505 PN system - so on the next PCB spin, I will construct a pair of "identical" Oscillators - using one as a referance and added 3dB to the PN plots (OK the system software automatically compensates and adds the 3dB in "twinned" oscillator tests).

Once the first MDAC update PCB's have been shipped, it be great to visit you, understand your setup and start to consider building a system - idealy with custom PCB's (with Andrew's OK and blessing).

more images - also of the destroyed RCA and USB sockets
I have heard, that the USB port resp. socket (USB 2.0 Type B) can't replace at this PCB.
it is possible to glue in a new cuboid guide element for forced centering of the USB plug to be inserted ? - go to third image of quoted post and to the URL

61400416121 Wurth Elektronik | Wurth Elektronik, Right Angle, PCB Mount, Socket Type B USB Connector | 748-0866 | RS Components

Thank you for an advice in advance.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I have heard, that the USB port resp. socket (USB 2.0 Type B) can't replace at this PCB.
it is possible to glue in a new cuboid guide element for forced centering of the USB plug to be inserted ? - go to third image of quoted post and to the URL

61400416121 Wurth Elektronik | Wurth Elektronik, Right Angle, PCB Mount, Socket Type B USB Connector | 748-0866 | RS Components

Thank you for an advice in advance.

Why can't it be replaced? With the right tool parts can be destroyed without damaging the PCB. Is it SMD or through hole? With through hole parts soldered in multilayered PCBs one must use some specific techniques.

BTW I doubt curing all the defects in these devices is worth the effort/money/time?! The design may be OK but it is over-designed and since a heap of parts were used the company choose below average quality parts. The curse for over-designing is the drawback that not 1 single bad capacitor will go bad but a large number. Keep the KISS approach alive folks!

Last edited:
Why can't it be replaced? With the right tool parts can be destroyed without damaging the PCB. Is it SMD or through hole? With through hole parts soldered in multilayered PCBs one must use some specific techniques.

BTW I doubt curing all the defects in these devices is worth the effort/money/time?! The design may be OK but it is over-designed and since a heap of parts were used the company choose below average quality parts. The curse for over-designing is the drawback that not 1 single bad capacitor will go bad but a large number. Keep the KISS approach alive folks!
I also doubt this. therefore I refused the repair and replacement service
By chance I discover this guy fortunately:
hoer-wege Modifikation für AUDIOLAB M-DAC
I was informed from there that all electrolytic capacitors were being replaced anyway to improve the sound quality. Thus it doesn't matter, whether the old ones bad caps or not.
This DAC device is in the meantime there for performing this work.
Maybe of interest of other owner's of this model in this worse condition.

P.S.:
From Audiolab in U.K. I haven't get any reply until this day.

Im surprised someone hasn't taken you out yet after taking, what, near on £100k? off people ten years ago and yet to deliver a thing to them!

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox | pink fish media

Copied from PFM.

Today's MDAC memory from 2013 !

We are scheduled to receive the MDAC2 PCB back from rapid PCB production tomorrow – so we are now “Officially” at the next stage of the project & we welcome the second stage installments.

The Second stage installment option has been added to our web page under the “Select MDAC2 Installment:” option button.

http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/

We are looking forward to Christmas as we plan to listen to the new Analogue output stage (cobbled onto a MDAC1 PCB).

Happy Christmas & all the best for the New Year.

Renata & John Westlake | Lakewest”

See The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox | Page 83 | pink fish media

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
hoer-wege Modifikation für AUDIOLAB M-DAC
I was informed from there that all electrolytic capacitors were being replaced anyway to improve the sound quality. Thus it doesn't matter, whether the old ones bad caps or not.

Now this is the gains model for that company. They exist because they improve existing designs. Now what can be replaced in audio devices? Yes, caps, diodes and opamps. If they would omit replacing even standard quality good caps we all would doubt their reputation :D It really is that simple and thus no real indicator.

Suppose I bring my device to Tiefbassuebertr GmbH to upgrade my high end device and he tells me all capacitors are chosen perfectly by the manufacturer :)

Last edited: