Audiolab 8000A recap and mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi and i have a further question about this amp
I found on the web some comments about its sound as being dry, flat, hard and ultimately not involving.
I see that it has a separation pre/amp.
As a power amp only with a different line stage could it be better ?

Or viceversa is the line stage worth something ?
I happen to own one perfectly working and unmodded. I have been offered 100 GBP.
What should i do ? sell it or keep it and use it as a line stage or power amp ?

Peeping inside the built is quite spectacular ... and those Sanken output pair.
Love Sankens. What i have to do ?
Thanks a lot for the very interesting thread.
Kind regards, gino

Snubbers on the bridge rectifier is always a cheap upgrade. There's often a ton of 10-20MHz rubbish floating around generated by rectifiers switching off and resonating the leakage reactances that may or may not affect amplifiers. It can have either no effect or a huge one. The gritty treble mentioned makes me think it could be a huge one.

Another cheap mod is to force opamps into class A, whether that's possible in the Audiolab I don't know.

I made some modification in my audiolab 8000A amp.
The current source/sink rtansistors are replaced in Line/Tone stage, and at the input section of Power amp.
To be used four position J5xx-series current regulator diode, this pin compatible with original BC550 and BC546 To-92 transistors cases.
The BC546 To92 device is a 3 lead package.

The j5xx current regulating diodes are described as
Features: two lead plastic packages.
They are NOT pin compatible.

I had one of the later 8000A and didn't find it uninvolving at all, specially after the mods. It does depend a lot with what you pair it with, both source and speaker dependent. If you have one of the black ones why don't you listen for yourself and see if you like it? Leave on for a day or two to warm up and judge for yourself.

I had one of the later 8000A and didn't find it uninvolving at all, specially after the mods.
It does depend a lot with what you pair it with, both source and speaker dependent.
If you have one of the black ones why don't you listen for yourself and see if you like it? Leave on for a day or two to warm up and judge for yourself.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very valuable advice.
Problem is that i have listened to it, briefly. And actually i found it puzzling.
Clean for sure, but also flat and hard, not harsh. Like it has a little drive for the speakers. So i took it out of the system.
But i wonder if i have been to hasty.
I see 4-500VA of very nice toroid, good ps caps, a pair of powerful Sanken per channel.
I need to know if when paired with a better line stage the power amp section could be ok. And i need to know now because i have this offer.
For me 100 GBP is too little for this amp. What do you think ?
Usually in the integrated the weak part is the preamp.
But i do not have a good line preamp to test the power amp section alone.
Thanks again, gino

500 VA inside the 8000A? Obviously something is wrong here

Sorry ... i do not know exactly. I see " Mains 240V/fuse 2.5A on the back " ... i cannot read the brand and model of the transformer.

But in the end i would like only to understand if at least one of the two sections of this unit is ok even without mods ... as it is ... in stock form
The preamp or the power amp would do the same
Because if at least one of the two sections is ok i will keep it and use it accordingly. Stop.
Then with more time i could think about modding the best section i would say.
I think that a good base is always needed even with mods in mind.
I am sorry but english is not my language so i could be not clear in my question.
Thanks again, gino

Last edited:
I think it was 300 or 250... I remember it was bigger than average. Power section is 60w and it had lower bass and control than my Brio-R.

£100 is not far from what they are sold on eBay, depending on age and shape, original box, etc. If you were to buy something equivalent new it would cost over £500. It has a very good phono section, the headphone out is also good, has lots of features and is built like a tank. The sound depends on your taste. My recommendation is to let it on for a couple if days am listen for a few days before making you opinion. If you don't like it at all and need the cash and it's taking a lot of space, sell it. I did like it very much but my speakers are very musical and source was good enough. It's so clean, it gives you what you feed it. Give it some time and see what you think of it. There are probably better amps for the money, I only changed it because I needed remote. I mod it as hobby for fun and it was worth my time.

Last edited:
I think it was 300 or 250... I remember it was bigger than average. Power section is 60w and it had lower bass and control than my Brio-R.
£100 is not far from what they are sold on eBay, depending on age and shape, original box, etc. If you were to buy something equivalent new it would cost over £500. It has a very good phono section, the headphone su and is built like a tank. The sound depends on your taste. My recommendation is to let it on for a couple if days am listen for a few days before making you opinion. If you don't like it at all and need the cash and it's taking a lot of space

Thank you very much. You have made me to decide on what to do.
I sincerely hoped that the power amp section was good because IMH experience with other integrated usually is the preamp section that is sonically weak (like Rotel amps for instance, i do not know why).
Many many times pairing the power amp section with a better line preamp elevates remarkably the overall performance.
I am completely out of analog LPs these days.
So i will end selling it also because i understand the price is fair.
Thanks a lot again. Issue closed.
Kindest regards, gino

Try 150 at the very most

Hi and thanks a lot. Unfortunately i am already compromised.
I have to say that the listening test was quite disappointing because i knew how famous it was in the old times.
I remember some extremely positive reviews on What HI-FI mag ... always with 5 stars and best of the test group.
Then i set it up even with easy speakers, and the sound was flat ...
Maybe a ps recap is really needed after all these years.
Thanks a lot again, gino

Your comment is wrong .....average Rotel amplifier is far better and correct technicaly next to an audiolab.
Rotel has also every potential to sound right only the phono stage of the audiolab might be better

Hi i have not been clear. I have a great respect especially for the Rotel power amps. The preamps maybe are also ok but at a much minor level.
I was mentioning tests on Rotel integrateds that confirmed what you say i.e. that while the line stages was so so the power amp sections were very good indeed.
I understand now, and thanks a lot for that, that is not the case with this Audiolab.
I thought very differently seeing a good PS and above all those wonderful Sanken ... they are not enough i am afraid.
This is exactly what i wanted to know. Both sections are so so.
The phono section instead is good, but it is of no interest to me.
I do no listen to LP at all.
Issue closed. I will sell it immediately.
Thanks again and kind regards, gino

Last edited:
Famous ... well yeap !!!
Reminds me of a Mel Brooks film i think History of the world but i might be wrong and he was talking about a singer i think describing him as :
World famous in Poland ......

Hi and well ... let's say that the magazine at the time endorsed this integrated giving it always top scores in the tests.
And for their reference system they adopted a pre plus mono power amps combination of Audiolab units. They liked very much the products i guess.
When i read the post about the tricky biasing philosophy i got an headache ... what they have done ? i like much better simply and working system.
To end i understand that extensive mods are needed to make is sound good.
At this time i am in a difficult position because i will move soon.
What a pity ...
Thanks a lot again for the very kind and valuable advice.
Kindest regards, gino

Interesting views on the 8000A, I have used one since 1994 mainly with KEF 104/2s (until recently) and always found it involving and musical...:)

Hi and thanks for the valuable advice.
After reading mixed opinions my doubts are still about the "usability" of at least one of the two section, 1) the preamp or 2) the power amp.

If at least one of the two is good sounding i could keep it and use another preamp or power amp. This i need to know for sure.

Moreover i wonder if the two sections can be used without any modifications, just connecting the preamp/power amp ins/outs.
I have always seen a switch to separate the two sections ... and i see no switch on the back of the 8000a.
I mean can i connect a different preamp to the 8000a power amp inputs without any problem ?
Again, if even just one of the two sections is good i will keep it for now and then think about some mods.
But if both have questionable sound quality i will sell it because i have a possible buyer waiting
Thanks and regards, gino

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to say using the Audiolab with some Fostex full range speaker designs (back loaded horns) I played with I was unsure about the sound (it never quite sounded right, so I went with SET valve amps for these sort of speakers), but on more normal speakers no problem.
Currently using the 8000A to drive the woofers in an active OB design (4X eminence 15").
There is a slight mod to use the separate sections, I did it many years ago so it was more versatile. Have a look where the pre and power connectors are; there is a link that needs removing and a cap adding, I cant remember the exact details but it should be on the internet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.