Audio precision help choose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wait a second.
I agree with the serious stuff at work.
But even so I don't have at work a precise distortion analyzer, Altough I guess I can just look at the spectrum of the output signal through the spectrum analyzer.
Nevertheless, I disagree with your statement that the performace I have listed are achieved by a $100 soundcard and $50 program.
You show me that and I will believe you :)

Number one a $100 SC won't even be balance or perhaps 192KHz sample freq nor it will have enough dynamic range.
Second how do you plot a precise frequency response within 0.01dB precision with such a set up?
If that would have been the case than I guess that most users of high gear such as APX515 would shoot themselves on their foot for having spent 6.2K on an instrument that can be replaced by $200 PC based system (exception for the bandwidth)
The specs I have listed are pretty tight I guess, but I am really interested to see if your statement is true and I can achieve them with a soundcard.

That would be awesome.
Can you show me something? Do you have any feedback of personal usage of such a set up? I would be really curious to see it with no sarcasm intended.

In my experience a lot can be achieved with such a simple sound card+PC in comparison to heavy duty AP-gear. Of course one has to have a certain understanding of the measurement, it's not a plug and play solution right from the start.

Laptop + external USB-interface is the optimum for me.

I worked quite a bit with AP-stuff, it's nice, it's heavy duty, but it has to be kept in good shape (service needed!) otherwise the signal generator looses quite a bit of its qualities.

If that would have been the case than I guess that most users of high gear such as APX515 would shoot themselves on their foot for having spent 6.2K on an instrument that can be replaced by $200 PC based system (exception for the bandwidth)

For analog it might be so, but I guess the real AP-stuff is mostly used for digital circuitry (jitter and whatnot) that's not so easy to do with a soundcard. Also most 'users' are companies and these have different requirements.

Hannes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.