Audio Power Amplifier Design book- Douglas Self wants your opinions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Esperado,

It seems young (and uncivilized ) people (always the same) just do not realize that phase or delays matters in a feedback path.

Phase or delays ?
Phase delays or time delays ?
Once again, the usual confusion.
Bob Cordell wrote a short paragraph on delay in feedback.
It's a reccurent topic :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/177139-feedback-delay-time.html#post2362902

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/jan-didden/454-feedback-how-late-time-same-time-all-time.html

Kindhornman,

I was only saying that I don't think that there was anyone building a class-D amplifier from scratch as a diy project but speaking about commercial designs that are created by Bruno. I am not sure that there is at this time a demand to build diy class-D amplifiers. Not yet anyway.

This is why I feel a bit uneasy with Bob Cordell chapter on class D, it's not directed towards DIY. I think it's a topic needing a dedicated book.

Last edited:
Phase or delays ?
Don't it was clear i told about input capacitances of the (base and emitter) input transistor ?
I suppose you know the charge (and discharge) curve of a capacitor ? (i'm too able to be supposing and arrogant)
What is the difference, at a given frequency, between a phase difference and a delay ? How can-you tell looking at the two waves in an oscilloscope ?

Unless you have a flat bandwidth in open loop, you will have phase turns at the upper frequencies between original signal and feedback signal.
They will act like a delay (increasing with frequency) between error and correction. As the amplifier is not perfect, this will increase high order distortions.
Bruno (and other designers) have shown that what is important for audible quality is how much loop gain you have at 20kHz which you can use for feedback
To jan.didden, (because your comment is interesting), and before to leave definitively this thread, I agree with what you said about the benefit to get as much feedback at 20KHz as you can, that i prefer to describe (looking at my green and red graph ;-) as moving the decreasing slope (apologize for my poor English) at higher frequency.
All what i tried to propose, with a lot of pain here, was CFA is a nice way to move the slope to the right of several octaves, or to get higher slew rates, or...all is correlated and so simple..
About "how much feedback as you can", read in an absolute way, i'm not so sure. I usually work in a very pragmatic way, trying to set each stage gain (IE local feedbacks) for minimal distortion results in closed loop and fixed global gain. (Yes, michaelkiwanuka, i own a distortiometer)

This will be my last contribution in this thread.

If you spent "a lot of time in my life" in uncontrolled listening tests, then I fear you've wasted a great deal of your time.

If your listening tests had been controlled you would have come to the conclusion that there is no audible difference between a well designed VFA and a well designed so-called "CFA", although "CFAs" are demonstrably inferior to VFAs in audio applications at least.
MikeK, how much time have you spent on controlled listening tests?

Not being argumentative or taking sides .. just after clarification to put your comments & pontificating in their proper perspective.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bruno (and other designers) have shown that what is important for audible quality is how much loop gain you have at 20kHz which you can use for feedback; say the right top of your red block.
Then, if you increase the loop gain toward DC (your green block) it doesn't make a difference.

What many people do not realise is that when you design amps with a flat wide bandwidth (like low or no feedback amps), which would be the red and green the same, almost always you end up with the top of the red block lower than with the first case.

So although visually it looks much flatter, because it is lower at 20kHz, it actually sounds (much) worse.

jan

Nonsense jan.

In a VFB you can have 70dB or more loop gain at LF and say 50 dB at 20k. In a CFA it's quite easy to have 50dB at 20 k, where of course it matters, and 50 dB at LF.

I don't know about you, but if the distortion at 1k is already at circa 10 ppm with 50dB of loop gain - CFA example - I see little point in piling on even more feedback which is what you are suggesting.

As for the comment on the sound, well I really don't know where you got that one. PIROOMA perhaps? ;)

Last edited:
if IMD is the bigger audible problem with distortion than harmonics - then high loop gain at our most sensitive hearing range, in the range of most musical instrument's fundamental or peak energy seems more valuable than "flat loop gain"

since higer low frequency loop gain feedback reduces the error of IMD difference products folding down into lower, more sensitive frequencies by the higher loop gain at those frequencies - and IMD difference products are anharmonic so masking isn't as applicable

IMD also includes TIM, FM, PID as subclasses - and they are reduced by the amount of feedback gain at the product frequency

additionally you have to add resistive shunt or internal feedback in typical VFA to flatten the loop gain response over audio - perhaps "throwing away" the gain at worst, at best just not applying it as effectively by using it in the local loop(s)

this is a well known result - that higher global open loop gain feedback gives greater distortion reduction than the same gain divided up, "linearizing" local stages in series - and why feedback theorists from Bode, Mason, Horowitz to Lurie all recommend maximizing global feedback within the limits of the global loop stability constraints

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I am not advocating flattening the gain by loading the TIS although I have done that for experimental purposes.

There is NO scientific study indicating a link between higher leavels of -ve feedback and better sound, and especially at the very low levels we are talking about here. Lots of opinions and passionate arguments, but no facts.

Bode, Mason, Horowitz et al may well teach what to do to get better measured performance, but they cannot answer the question: does more feedback at lower frequencies make an amplifier sound better?

I have never claimed I am a purist but regardless how one achieves it, higher gain at lower frequencies does make a substantial difference in improving the sound. After adding Linkwitz Railey equalization into the feedback and input of my amp, I have never gone without it in 10 years and everyone ever listening to music at my place remains glued to the chairs. You could not do this befor digital music since record warp would destroy your system.

You have to have the power supply to sustain operation at this elevated gain at LF. There is just no way that anyone can argue away this fact and the only way you can experience it is adding it into your system.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In a VFB you can have 70dB or more loop gain at LF and say 50 dB at 20k. In a CFA it's quite easy to have 50dB at 20 k, where of course it matters, and 50 dB at LF.

Well this is actually the point I was making. If the two cases have the same LG at 20kHz, as in your example, they will have the same sound quality (other things being equal, for the discussion).

The CFA curve looks flat (it IS flat), and the VFA looks like it starts to drop already at very low frequency. But any way you look at it, the VFA will have better specs below 20kHz. Whether that matters is another issue, but the LF distortion of the VFA will be lower, the DC offset will be lower, the damping factor will be better; the important 20kHz spec and subjective sound quality will be the same or better, although the CFA will look 'flatter' and having a wider bandwidth!

jan

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
does more feedback at lower frequencies make an amplifier sound better?

Bonsai, basically your question reduces to: does lower non-linearity make an amplifier sound better?

But compared to what? To be meaningfull, the question should be framed in 'all other things being equal', and then the answer is yes.

OTOH if you increase negative feedback but in that process change some other parameter in the amp, the result may be higher feedback but lower sound quality.

jan

I can hear the difference and I do not need controlled tests to hear it. The question was intended for those who claim that VFA is demonstrably superior and yet they claim that in controlled listening tests the difference is impossible to hear.

Those who claim that CFA is demonstrably superior are more aggressive here then opposite.
In my opinion both could sound equally good when properly designed.

OT/

Sounds, they're all dependant on exhaust tuning. My VR6 has sweet howl at 6K+ rpm and a deep growl at 2K :D

/OT
OT/
Sure, the sound depends on the construction of the exhaust (obviously). However, opposed to a flat-plane crankshaft, the firing order of a cross-plane crankshaft is irregular (LRLLRLRR or so), resulting in the typical V8 burble sound of US V8 engines (brab brab brab brab), like one of the cylinders is not firing. A nice vrooooom requires a much more complicated exhaust system, which rearranges the order of the exhaust pulses, see pic.
/OT

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    exhaust.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 158
I can hear the difference and I do not need controlled tests to hear it. The question was intended for those who claim that VFA is demonstrably superior and yet they claim that in controlled listening tests the difference is impossible to hear.

When ears are no more adequate enough all is left
are measurements and in this matter VFAs "sound better"
the same way that an average SS amp will indeed sound
better than distorted SETs unless , of course , that distorted
signals sounds more pleasing , wich can be the case.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.