Audio Nirvana 15" is it still good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an in-house calibrated screech meter.

We have a 5 year old Shih Tzu who loves classical music. When I'm listening to it she jumps up on the couch next to my chair and listens with me. If there is an occasional screech her right rear leg twitches and I push the down treble button on my Marantz remote until she stops twitching.

The number of times I have to push the button is the screech measurement. Usually it's just one or two. Not very high level audio science, but it works and she's happy.

I have an in-house calibrated screech meter.

We have a 5 year old Shih Tzu who loves classical music. When I'm listening to it she jumps up on the couch next to my chair and listens with me. If there is an occasional screech her right rear leg twitches and I push the down treble button on my Marantz remote until she stops twitching.

The number of times I have to push the button is the screech measurement. Usually it's just one or two. Not very high level audio science, but it works and she's happy.

:):):):):):):):):):):):drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink::drink:

Dogs really are truly amazing

A good dog deserves a good super tweeter! :)
What are using for a super tweeter or what would you recommend as well? I may want to add them to my AN Classic 10s.

Madisound has a Fostex FT17H Horn Super Tweeter for $48. Next one up is a Fostex FT96H Horn Super Tweeter for $150. That's as much as I paid for the AN drivers themselves.

It really depends on the whether the dog approves of it or not. Without joking though I am somewhat concerned about higher frequencies that I can't hear, but may really bother her.

So many options depends on budget and application. My simple logic says any tweeter that goes out an octave above your hearing range should work. I use a Beston RT002A which is good when crossed above 12,000 and better when crossed above 18,000. I'm sure those you mentioned are good too. When I win the lottery I'll try a Raal.

Bingo! You just hit the nail right on the head.

FR drivers, and particularly the ANs, are extremely accurate and detailed. If you have a great recording it will sound great. Likewise, if you have a lousy recording it will sound lousy. All the flaws will show up and sound even worse than with most other speakers. So those recordings probably won't be very enjoyable.

And that may be why you haven't been happy with any FRs including the Fostex drivers you talked about earlier.

For me personally I'm willing to forgo some of my poor recordings (that I didn't realize were that bad before) in order to achieve 'Nirvana' with others that are well recorded.

When I listen to the Second Movement of Brahms's Violin Concerto by someone great like Itzhak Perlman I want to be moved to tears on the sheer beauty of the moment. That's my personal goal, although not necessarily everyone else's.

Perhaps FRs are not right for you.

I have owned, built, or borrowed a great many loudspeakers, and think I know when I'm hearing a genuine problem with a given system. I am far more forgiving than many when it comes to accepting the limitations of loudspeakers, and The Classic 12s just didn't dance with certain recordings- not because the recording was inherently inferior, but because they have some significant response peaks that were laid bare by those recordings. But by far the biggest problem was the HUGE suck out from the upper bass to just below 1K. It made them sound disjointed and aggressive. I had a choice to build front loaded horns for them, or wide baffles, or any other number of space inefficient attempts to pick up this region, but in the end, the Voxativs came in and simply blew them away. No contest at all. It was like comparing the junior high school drum band to the London Symphony Orchestra.

I am definitely a FR fan- if I wasn't, I wouldn't have dropped $3000 for the Voxativ drivers with a pair of cabinets I will be soon replacing. They are everything the ANs were not: Detailed without harshness, balanced bass to low bass, balanced midrange response, and beautifully extended, natural high frequencies. They will bite if fed a bad recording, but the result is still listenable, not excruciating. I am very happy with them, and as my Ampeggio Due style BLH cabinets come closer to leaving the shop, and entering my listening room, the anticipation grows…

I guess those Voxativ are pretty good. Not all AN drivers are equal and the application makes a major difference. I had the good fortune to listen to some of my favorite recordings on the Grenada speakers with the Feastrix driver and I'll admit it was better than my own set up, with AN Super Cast 12's, Goldwood 18 inch H Frames, and that little Beston on the top. Nevertheless the differences were more in refined details and sound stage and nothing at all like comparing a jr high band to the LSO. Just my 2cents worth.

true.

Never did a tapped horn sub.
Almost did.
Have a huge push pull slot loaded 6th order (2' x 2' x 4') with 4 x 12's.

Think my 4 x 18's had more whoomp (both tuned and boosted/subsonic at 27hz), even though they had 1/2 the excursion of the 12's making for an overall equal displacement of air.

I have owned, built, or borrowed a great many loudspeakers, and think I know when I'm hearing a genuine problem with a given system. I am far more forgiving than many when it comes to accepting the limitations of loudspeakers, and The Classic 12s just didn't dance with certain recordings- not because the recording was inherently inferior, but because they have some significant response peaks that were laid bare by those recordings. But by far the biggest problem was the HUGE suck out from the upper bass to just below 1K. It made them sound disjointed and aggressive. I had a choice to build front loaded horns for them, or wide baffles, or any other number of space inefficient attempts to pick up this region, but in the end, the Voxativs came in and simply blew them away. No contest at all. It was like comparing the junior high school drum band to the London Symphony Orchestra. …

Glad you elaborated on the issue with the AN Classic 12 Ferrites. From your earlier post I thought you were experiencing unpleasant sound from poor recordings that was accentuated by full rangers, but apparently that was not the case.

I spend some time comparing the FR curves among various AN drivers. The Super Series seems to be fairly consistent as size increases even from 10 to 12 to 15. And there is not much variation between Ferrite, Alnico, and Neo.

In the Classic Series, however, it’s a different story. Things are nicely behaved for both Ferrite and Alnico up through the 10s, but then the 12s show that big dip between 100 and 1000 Hz. It’s still there with the Classic 15s, but not nearly as pronounced as with the 12s.

Whether the dip will be as objectionable to other people as well is hard to say, but it certainly explains your dissatisfaction. Glad you pointed it out.

I’m still a big AN fan based on the performance of the Classic 10 and would certainly use more of their drivers in the future. Would have to think twice now about the Classic 12, however.

Thanks.

The worst part is I had already chosen the 10 as the driver I wanted, but was convinced by the "bigger is better" argument made by their purveyor. I was told not to put much stake in the graphs- that the data was really meaningless in choosing a driver. So I took that leap of faith. Oh, well. It wouldn't be the first time I have learned the lesson to stick with my first choice.

Sorry to say, but you guys should try the AN Super 15" - it's a compromise still, like all speakers, but there's no music I can't play on it.

Have to say that I saw this thread back in August and checked out the Audio Nirvana Super 15, 12, 10 and 8 on youtube and was amazed at the fantastic sound of these full ranges. I spent a few hours just listening over and over :). I checked out some reviews as well and they were positive. They are somewhat pricey but well worth it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.