Audio dissertation topic for PhD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A general question to all:

Are there audio topics (specific to circuit design) that you believe could be used as PhD research and/or the subject of a dissertation?

I told a potential advisor of mine about my interest in audio, and he told me that designing a circuit or circuit idea would be a tough sell as a dissertation topic for school. Any ideas about an audio circuit idea that merrits attention?

Hey, iam currently doing a masters and thinking about a phd. You have to remember getting a phd itself isnt worth alot. You really do need publications. The only way to get those are to be doing research in active feilds. If you look on the iEEE explore you will note that almost all research related to audio is in class D amps. And where do you plan to get a job after you finish your audio related phd ?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi HFGuy,
Yes, but Mr. Stanley Lipshitz is relevant to audio design and circuit design, also as an example of the types of papers that can be written.

Audio design skills are transferable to power supply design, servo design and vibration analysis directly. I'm sure many other areas utilize the same skill set.

-Chris ;)

What about trying to find a measurable parameter between the subjective differences of different amplifier topologies /classes? I think something like that could be extremely interesting and useful to the audio community.

Perhaps if you knew someone with perfect pitch you could compare them in a double blind listening test against an average group and see how each groups responds.

-=Randy Knutson
Mankato MN

rtarbell said:
Are there audio topics (specific to circuit design) that you believe could be used as PhD research and/or the subject of a dissertation?

I told a potential advisor of mine about my interest in audio, and he told me that designing a circuit or circuit idea would be a tough sell as a dissertation topic for school. Any ideas about an audio circuit idea that merrits attention?
Getting the degree is difficult enough..so, in light of that, you decide also to try something that is going to be a tough sell??

Put casts on both legs and arms, duct tape your eyes shut so that it is even MORE difficult..

Have more discussions with potential advisors to come up with something they would be more inclined to like. Don't slap your judge across the face just before the trial, unless your trying for an insanity plea..

HFGuy said:
Hey, iam currently doing a masters and thinking about a phd. You have to remember getting a phd itself isnt worth alot. You really do need publications. The only way to get those are to be doing research in active feilds. If you look on the iEEE explore you will note that almost all research related to audio is in class D amps. And where do you plan to get a job after you finish your audio related phd ?

The process by which you aquire the PhD is the valuable aspect, not the topic of the dissertation. The chances of setting the world on fire with the thesis is not zero, but close.

Cheers, John

The point of doing a Phd is to be a leader, you are expected to make a contribution to your area of study. Doing what everyone else does isnt what is wanted. A survey type thesis on the subjective nature of amp topologies would be an impossbile sale as jneutron mentioned.

I must have been fortunate- my dissertation committee was terrifically helpful. They kept me away from doing anything really stupid. The one suggestion from them that I didn't take turned out to be gold for someone else, and in retrospect would have saved me six months of hair-tearing-out.

rtarbell said:
Any ideas about an audio circuit idea that merrits attention?

What have you tended towards, analog, digital, hf, e/m theory, what??
HFGuy said:
The point of doing a Phd is to be a leader,
The process of a PhD is to learn to think outside the box. It is from that type of thinking that new paradigms arise.

HFGuy said:
i thought the point of doing a phd was to lose your sanity
No, just one of the perks.

Cheers, John

SY said:
Genus Homo, though don't let that fool you, for me it's girls all the way.

Lets see....wine...women...song...

Your my hero...

Older hero, but hero nonetheless..;)

Got the kitchen up and runnin..love the wine chiller, amazed that the wine tastes so much different when it is not served as cold as the fridge does. Got a decent chardonney, and I was suprised at how much better it tastes when it's not fridge cold..

Sheesh, what I've been missing...don't worry about me, though....it handles 52 bottles...

Cheers, John

hyjacked tread

Originally posted by rtarbell

told a potential advisor of mine about my interest in audio, and he told me that designing a circuit or circuit idea would be a tough sell as a dissertation topic for school

`````````````````````````````````````````````````
definitely do not want that person as an advisor!

naysayers are too expensive

``````````````````````````````````````````````````
might want to contact the local aes, to find a real mentor

http://www.aes.org

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.