Audibility of output coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

Bob Cordell said:

While it is true that we should not ignore such linear frequency response deviations, it would seem that their effect would be no different, or more or less important, than differences in frequency response from one amplifier to another. ....

Granted, but what worried me is the realization we are talking of errors (no matter whether amplifier induced, coil induced, cable induced, crossover induced etc.) whose magnitude fall squarely within the range of others much more widely accepted as detrimental.

I tend to believe like you there is only a slim chance this really matters, but makes me uneasy.

(which of course makes for much more fun)

Rodolfo

As a standard, I assume measurement both step response and FFT at the speaker binding posts, i.e. the whole chain. I can see no special "transmission line behaviour" for audio amplifiers and speaker cables. If, then only for RFI (not the signal through amp). This can be effectively damped by placing a resistor of some 50 - 300 ohms directly at speaker binding posts.

Talking about transmission line remind me of something.
Inductive peaking (T coil) was used in oscilloscope to drive capacitive load of the deflection plate, and not only 1 coil, but many.

At that frequency the tube/transistor is operating with the output lagging significantly from the input, but that doesn't seem to cause any nonlinear distortion.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

ingrast said:

Granted, but what worried me is the realization we are talking of errors (no matter whether amplifier induced, coil induced, cable induced, crossover induced etc.) whose magnitude fall squarely within the range of others much more widely accepted as detrimental.

I tend to believe like you there is only a slim chance this really matters, but makes me uneasy.

(which of course makes for much more fun)

Rodolfo

I think maybe I disagree. I don't think that we can equate a linear frequency response error that is in some respect 60 dB down to the error of a nonlinearity that is 60 dB down.

When we have a nonlinearity generating an error, it is creating new spectral components, typically both harmonic and intermodulation in nature. That is a source if dissonance.

A linear frequency response error of 0.01 dB, which would correspond roughly to 60 dB down, is only going to be perceived as the very slightest coloration, far, far smaller than that produced by the loudspeakers, for example.

Bob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

Bob Cordell said:

When we have a nonlinearity generating an error, it is creating new spectral components, typically both harmonic and intermodulation in nature. That is a source if dissonance.

Yes, I was aware of that implication, which fits with the fact some (relatively) high harmonic distortion amplifiers are welcome to some listeners, as long as IM products are not out of control, something that depends on the shape of the transfer characteristic.

Rodolfo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Here we go again

ingrast said:

Yes, I was aware of that implication, which fits with the fact some (relatively) high harmonic distortion amplifiers are welcome to some listeners, as long as IM products are not out of control, something that depends on the shape of the transfer characteristic.

Rodolfo

I wonder what the output inductance is of a vacuum tube amplifier due to the leakage inductance of the output transformer. I'm guessing it might easily be more than a couple of microhenries.

Bob

andy_c said:
Hi John,

Remember we were talking earlier about the apparent discrepancy in the Bryston output inductor values between their schematics and the Stereophile output impedance measurements? I asked James Tanner about this over in another forum. Here is the thread. Looks like schematics of the 7B and 14B are in error. They actually use 1uH rather than 2uH. But the 4B we were discussing earlier is really 2uH. So this suggests the Stereophile output impedance measurement of the 4B may be incorrect (actually too low, strangely enough).

Hi Andy,

I have noticed the same thing on several reviews. The Stereophile quote of output impedance at 20 kHz seems to under-estimate the output inductance inferred from it.

I think it is dicey at best to try to infer output inductance from the Stereophile reviews, but the way that I try to do it is as follows: I look at the difference in the amount of high-frequency attenuation in the small-signal frequency response between an 8 ohm load and a 2 ohm load.

This is still probably subject to a number of caveats, but it seems to render a larger, more realistic value of effective output inductance. Note that this will estimate total effective output inductance, not necessarily limited to just the R-L coil itself, and may yield an effective output inductance even for amplifiers that use no coil.

Perhaps another approach to use the same data would be to spice a bandlimited voltage source with an output R-L combination into both 8 ohm and 2 ohm loads, and adjust the R-L combination to get a best fit to the data.

Bob

PMA said:
As a standard, I assume measurement both step response and FFT at the speaker binding posts, i.e. the whole chain. I can see no special "transmission line behaviour" for audio amplifiers and speaker cables. If, then only for RFI (not the signal through amp). This can be effectively damped by placing a resistor of some 50 - 300 ohms directly at speaker binding posts.

I'm only suggesting transmission line behavior in the sense of what kind of impedance the amplifier sees at high frequencies where it may be destabilized. I'm certainly not suggesting that there needs to be some matching situation, as, for example, trying to make speaker cables with an 8 ohm characteristic impedance.

However, a speaker cable will exhibit some of the characteristics of a mis-terminated transmission line at high frequencies in the MHz range.

Cheers,
Bob

Conrad Hoffman said:
The problem as I see it, is two-fold. Most claimed sonic differences disappear when the many pitfalls of comparison are addressed. People with great knowledge and experience seem just as vulnerable to those pitfalls as anybody else. I do it myself, almost as if there were a Jekyll and Hyde nature to audiophiles. Cold and rational one minute, then all excited about some capacitor change when things sound really good. The second problem is that when differences really do exist, people tend to blame/attribute them to the wrong things. They change A and hear something, then assume it was A that's the fundamental cause, when A really triggered B and C and whatever else. Since the pitfalls are mostly well known, yes, I place the burden of disclosure on those who hear differences that conventional engineering suggests are unhearable. Without disclosure, there isn't much to discuss, which is why we're all here. :D

Seemingly going w-a-y back (although less than 2 days), I would like to quote this as a very sober and meaningful piece of analysis.

Yes, Conrad, I have also given up on keeping up, and very sadly, as someone else remarked much later than this, we have politics and personal emotions smothering much that one would like to ponder. Would have been handy to have time to condense stuff out. Maybe sometime in future (after my time) a "relevance filter" software will be introduced.

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
andy_c said:
Just to put some numbers to this, I'm reposting a chart from an article reviewing speaker cables, where they measured the R, L and C of the cables. These numbers are per foot. The article was at audioholics.com

If the amps used were monoblocks and placed right behind the speakers using a very short length of the Goertz wire and no output coil, it seems like one could get some pretty low series inductance values between the amp output and the speaker. Would the improvement be audible? Dunno.

Oh, forget about all this nonsense. If you want the ultimate speaker cables, go to your local auto parts supplier and pick up a couple of sets of those really cheap, made in China, jumper leads.

:D

Cheers,
Glen

mikelm said:
Whenever I hear these kind of arguments - "this makes a difference, oh no it doesn't, oh yes it does" etc, I identify different types of posters.

1) those who have not tried the idea that is being discussed and never-the-less decide that they cannot believe it.

2) those who are prepared to believe what is being discussed but would like to satisfy intellectual curiosity

3) those who have done tests ( subjective or objective ) and thus have some direct experience of what they are discussing and say they cannot hear / measure any difference.

4) those who have done tests ( subjective or objective ) and thus have some direct experience of what they are discussing and say they can hear / measure any difference

Mike,

I believe you have left one group out, perhaps a sub of group 1, but indeed very different: Those who have not tried the idea because it is so contrary to established science that it will be a waste of time.

E.g. a ridiculous example: That a 1pF capacitor across the mains leads will cause an audible effect. But some "beliefs" are just that.

PMA said:
Yes, here we go again ;)
Could anybody explain me destroying sound effect of 1uH//1ohm coil and no problem with at least 2 - 4 uH of a speaker wire?? I am just one ear :D

Why ask? take a few minutes, build a coil, use a switch or relay (I don't buy into the ABX nonsense) wire it into your system and listen. It's called manual, non-electronic simulation.

Do you hear it, or not? If you do, what do you hear? Try a wide range of music. Pretend you're a reviewer and keep detailed notes. Most importantly enjoy listening to music while your at it.

Report back,
Group discusses.

If results are not what was anticipated,
hammer the messenger,
insult their mother,
roll out a couple of simulations to refute the heathen,
continue on with business as usual.

Just a thought. I posted my observations on inserting a standard coil/resistor 20-30 or so pages back.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride! It's all entertainment.

Mike.

mikelm said:

If you are interested in the reality of this situation and not just winning the argument - why not go fit a coil / resistor to your amp o/p and see what you can hear ?

If you cannot hear a difference - fine, but if you can, you may have to accept there some things you do not yet understand.

Is that so hard to accept ?

Very good, beat me to it. I hadn't read this yet.

Enjoy...

Status
Not open for further replies.