Audibility of Distortion Listening Test...FUN!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In the same "6 inch driver playing music pop" I got to -24dB just by turning headphone volume down. The problem seems clear, distortion products of the test become "buried" under the distortion products of my headphones.

I also experienced the same "discontinuity" in the 12dB or 15dB region, it seems that the distortion products of my headphones become similar in magnitude and opposed in phase to the ones from the test resulting in distortion cancellation that fools you. Reversing the polarity of the headphones may change things for even harmonics...

I managed to get all the way up to the -36... without missing a single trial (on my second run through the test...)

It was strange... I couldn't always "hear" the difference... but It was always obvious to me which was distorted (to a lesser degree on the highest settings)... One just sounded "wrong"...

M-audio external sound card... BeyerDynamic DT770 headphones- reasonably loud...

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 177
It has to be easily repeatable in order to discard the purely random probability of reaching a lower level, that is not so low because during the first approach you move in 6dB steps.

You will appear 6dB better than what you are in one out of every two tests.

You will appear 12dB better than what you are in one out of every four tests.

You will appear 18dB better than what you are in one out of every eight tests.

Everybody can get to the minimum level by repeating the test enough times, but it's the worse result the one that tells how good actually you are.

With the proper headphone volume setting, I think that now I can get to -18dB without mistakes almost every time.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Eva said:

Everybody can get to the minimum level by repeating the test enough times, but it's the worse result the one that tells how good actually you are.

I'm not sure that I agree with this. There are time when I've taken this test and I've been zoned in - I can easily hear the difference. Other times, due to a list of reasons such as distraction, I can't determine a difference at all.

I think your best score, if you get it more than 10% of the time, is how good you are at distinguishing distortion.

Very interesting test. The lower I go, although a difference is heard, which is distorted is in question. M-Audio headphones that came with a card was used. If I guess wrong the first time, normally I can go lower on the next run. I would be interesting to see how speakers work.

The gig is up!

Here are my results:

-45 dB on "octave - 6 inch driver"

Onboard sound on Dell Optiplex GX280
Koss UR-19 Headphones ($5 at TJMAXX) with intermittent left speaker.
Fan running in adjacent cubicle.

How did I do it?

There's a glitch in this particular setup. Judging by the disproportionate number of users who attained the -45 level in this test, I don't think I'm the only one who noticed.

The undistorted sound track has a series of two clicks just a few seconds after the start. The distorted one does not have these clicks.

I sent an email to their webmaster.

On a valid test "pop music on 6 inch driver" I reached -21dB on second try on the same setup as above. Can't wait to try it out at home with a lower noise floor.

Thanks for the link John. I'm eagerly following your 3 way thread.

Regards,
David

Attachments

• octave-6inch-dm.jpg
    octave-6inch-dm.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 175
67" Samsung HL-R6768W dlp hdtv that I use as my computer monitor. Today I had this old HP from around the year 2000 hooked up with its horrible onboard sound, which was used for the test. The TV speakers were used for the test.. two 3" mids and one 2 or 3" paper cone tweeter on each bottom side. Despite the original price tag of this TV back in 2005 ($7,000 i think, but I didn't pay anywhere near that when I bought it refurbished on eBay in 2006), its audio is absolutely terrible. Oh, and the built in EQ via the setup menu is a little screwed up too, as it sounds horrible no matter how I adjust it. There's also a Magnepan MMG-W leaned against each side edge of the TV, completely blocking the tweeters. Another pair of speakers I've been toying with are sitting less than a foot in front of those, almost completely blocking the TV speakers..

-18 dB on the 6 inch driver with pop music test.

I bookmarked it for a later time when I'm MUCH more prepared. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Re: The gig is up!

gtforme00 said:
Here are my results:

-45 dB on "octave - 6 inch driver"
How did I do it?

There's a glitch in this particular setup. Judging by the disproportionate number of users who attained the -45 level in this test, I don't think I'm the only one who noticed.

Hi David,
Yes, I don't think I did this test before, but you're absolutely right. I listened for the click and went straight to -45.

Attachments

• a.gif
    a.gif
    29.3 KB · Views: 160
It is a shame about those "clues". I don't know how much confidence you can put in the results with errors like that. I guess that is where statisticians step in and do their magic.

Some people should be ashamed for exploiting these loopholes and misrepresenting their hearing acuity. :Pinoc:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.