Attention Raffi and Till (Roemhild)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
YES, YES...

That's a real stunner!

The system that really hooked me on this stuff (years ago) was a an MIT professor's (Cambridge Ma)...

Tweeters -- Decca Ribbons (horn loaded)

Midrange -- Quad Electrostatics

Sub -- Concrete TLINE

He was playing Miles Davis

I was a BELEEEEVHA

Audio_idiot said:
Hi Roemhild,
You listed CORAL 8A70 as one of your favourate driver,Plainly out of curiousity, what did you use them in? In your new theory too? and what is the box design?

I think I can get my hands on a pair of those...

Thousand thanks

Cheers

Hi

the 8A70 is one (if not the) favourite fullrange driver I have got. I have had them in a 25ltr sealed volume together with a 15" bass. I have had it in a 55ltr BR and in a backloaded horn.

Right now I have got it together with a Fostex W300A-II. The coral is in 25ltr closed, the Fostex in a new designed TML.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77544

regards Till

P.S. if you can get me a second pair too please do it!! I need 3or 4 more for my soround system.

Impulse H6 questions

Hi Till!

I sended to your e-mail address what I seen in the hornlautsprecher.de web page. It was nor Zip-ed.
Now I cann't see your web page! It is not working! I get the message: "Hier entsteht eine neue Internetpräsenz !"

Please tell me to which e-mail address should I send the drawings again.

Greets:

Tyimo

Re: Impulse H6 questions

Tyimo said:
Hi Till!

I sended to your e-mail address what I seen in the hornlautsprecher.de web page. It was nor Zip-ed.
Now I cann't see your web page! It is not working! I get the message: "Hier entsteht eine neue Internetpräsenz !"

Please tell me to which e-mail address should I send the drawings again.

Greets:

Tyimo

Hi Tyimo,

the Hornlautsprecher-page is under construction (and under my name)

please send the plan to: roemhild ->at<- einklang-audio ->dot<- com

Pretty much the same way as a normal reflex tube. As you know, when vent cross-sectional area increases, so you need to increase length for a given alignment, assuming of course, nothing else changes. Also, if you have a flared vent, which starts narrow and expands, it needs to be longer than the equivalent straight port. The narrower the initial opening, the longer the vent needs to be.

So in these cabinets, as in the more usual sort of small vent bass reflex enclosure, the length, throat area and mouth area of the vent (or horn, if you prefer) is chosen to provide the correct reflex tuning and passband for it's action. The difference is one of degree, so the flare type (exponential or whatever) is selected & tuned for lowest vent distortion. At least, that's the way I see it. GM, Martin, Dave or Ron (or any of our other experts) will be able to explain the physics of it far more accurately than I can. And probably rip me to pieces in the process. Be kind to me guys!

What do they sound like? If done well (& Raffi & Till are very good at these), pretty good, assuming you are using a reflex box as your baseline, and base your technical assessment on that. Compared to their small vent reflex brothers, they couple to the air much better, as you'd expect, and present a far larger image of the sort of scale you'd usually associate with a decent horn design. A well designed horn will slaughter them in some areas of course, but then, a good horn usually beats reflex boxes anyway in these subjects (low distortion, high efficiency, control of the driver athigh levels etc.), so that's no great surprise. On the up side, these big vent reflex cabinets counter with (usually) deeper bass for a given box-size before room-boundaries are brought into consideration, and ease of construction, just like their small vent brothers. Each has it's own trade-offs, so it's apples & oranges really.

Hi Scott!

Pretty much the same way as a normal reflex tube. As you know, when vent cross-sectional area increases, so you need to increase length for a given alignment, assuming of course, nothing else changes. Also, if you have a flared vent, which starts narrow and expands, it needs to be longer than the equivalent straight port. The narrower the initial opening, the longer the vent needs to be.

Thanks! I knew it. I think I have to re-edit my question:

How can I calculate the HelmHoltz resonant frequency of a known Vb Box with a known sized expo horn shaped reflexport-tube?

For example:
Vb: 25L
vent lenght:45 cm
vent throat: 120cm2
vent mouth: 435 cm2
flare type: expo

So in these cabinets, as in the more usual sort of small vent bass reflex enclosure, the length, throat area and mouth area of the vent (or horn, if you prefer) is chosen to provide the correct reflex tuning and passband for it's action. The difference is one of degree, so the flare type (exponential or whatever) is selected & tuned for lowest vent distortion. At least, that's the way I see it.

I think you mean the BLHs of Till and Raffi, but my question was about the Impulse H6. This speaker is a "bit" different from the Replikon...:)

Greets:

Tyimo

Greets!

Human hearing is only acute over a fairly narrow BW, otherwise our audio systems would be limited to ~ a phone's BW since a wide BW speaker system's distortion alone would make it unpleasant to listen to, not to mention all the added distortion a typical room adds.

Indeed, I'm convinced it's the harmonic distortion of horns, certain box alignments and driver's FRs that makes them sound so good to some since it 'colors' the sonic presentation in our acute hearing BW just right, like foods rich in fat does to our sense of taste or 'hot' color biased TVs, etc. to our sense of sight, etc..

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.