Attachments as Links

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have to admit about the pictures.
Everytime I want to see a picture, I have to click and login.

Also.. my two cent to improve about pictures, is :
When browsing in the treads.. the paperclip is for attachments.
My thought is, when you click on the paperclip.. you'll get a list with only the attachments and/or pictures that is putted there in that thread.
Idea?.. I don't know. Just 2cent;)

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn.
(sorry for the bad english)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bas Horneman said:
But to the point I was trying to make. Is that if you host your pics somewhere on the net it is still possible to display them...just have not figured it out yet..as you can see...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you replace the tags with the VB code ones it works... click on the IMG biutton above to generate a set

dave

Bandwidth wouldn't be such a problem is users knew how to compress their images. I know that some do since many photos load very quickly. But others can take 15 secs... on a 2Mbit commercial DSL connection!

The little check box for "did you search" slows people enough to make them think. A similar check box for "did you compress your attachment" might make them really think.

Also, a limit on the size of an attachment to less than 50K would automatically force uploaders to compress most of their images. In fact, removing BMP as a valid extension might show an immediate drop in file size since it automatically weeds out the graphically-challenged.

If BW is still needed, get rid of avatars, email notification and other extras that are not needed to communicate DIY.

:)ensen.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AudioFreak is busy, busy trying ways to keep our traffic below our bandwidth allocation... since attachments represent 1/2 our bandwidth usage it only makes sense to attack it there. And without unlimited bandwidth (ie unlimited $$$) something like this needs doing. diyAudio continues to have explosive growth, and any and all ideas to help save bandwidth will be welcomed.

Anything we do will be a compromise... personally i like the thumbnail idea (getting it to work is a whole other thing).

AF is still optimizing the way this works & is continuously working to make this forum better.

In my browser i am not asked to log in for each picture -- matter of fact i am rarely asked to log-in, so i expect that this issue has to do with how your cookies are set up.

dave

I dislike it a lot, loose of ready images.

I dislike it a lot, and i will tell you all friends my reasons, some serious, some of them kidding.

1) If images are not already open, to compare schematics will be a little bit harder. When a lot of friends are cooperating to increase certain design, a lot of images succed one after the other, how can i open all them, have to minimize and open, and them minimize other and open... can use thumbs plus or something alike... the way we are doing is easy, whe schroll and ready to compare.

2) Our magnificent forum will loose one of their best qualities...Multimedia...not only words, but also images...better if we had sound too, but one image has a 1000 words meaning . I am afraid a lot of people will migrate to others foruns, because now is more levelled one each other, the advantage of ready image finished.

3) Some time we have not enougth time to read all thread words, this way, fast a check in images..no image, no fast check anymore. how can i found excelent Eva's analyses without seeing their hands (smile)

4) Its not fair, i do not think because i am poor, in comparison other country people, and my system is slow, the entire forum will be levelled underlined, levelled worst than it can be, i will wait, because my system is low, and i think you can go faster, or not?

5) I already ordered and already paid for draws to invite Asiatic people that do not speak english to come to us, with some designs, they can move circuits, modified, cut, include, without a word, image can do that, substitute words if you have one schematic appearing all time. This way Destroyer will have to eat those papers with Mustard.... no good! (kidding)

6) Brazilian football, and English football, and wide world football are teaching us all the time that is no good to change the team that is winning... can be bad!... this way, no good idea change our wonderfull forum to be another one... alike others.

I have more 16 reasons, but i am tired to type... i think those are enough.

Please, you that did that, move it again to old model, please, or give me the responsable adress, want to send him a gift, a pack, with a protude material to put atop the computer to remember me (hahahaha... smile if not can be hard!)

Carlos

A forum friend told me some related caipinha

This is tradicional drink here, is made of Cachaça (sugar cane destilled very strong) mixed with smashed lemmon and suggar... i prefer not to smash lemmon, because its protection had not so good taste, but give some taste characteristics that is not avoidable.... but only feel pieces of lemmon surround will be better.

Caipiríssima, is the super, a superlative, same the above but used Rhum.... from Cuba and other Central America countries... sugar canne also.

The best, my taste, is Caipiroska (russian) because is made with Russian Vodka with lemmon and suggar also...better, Vodka have not strong taste, when you perceive, you are in a hotel.... goooood!

Carlos

Very good to be here with you all

I fell good to see how much good ideas and comprehension of my friends, really, i suppose Planet10 gave us one new way.... to "scape from Astragaard".

Can agree you all, but agreement cannot move this situation, we still loosing quality, I will have now to consider other facts, i am prepared to adapt myself to new situation.

Carlos

Is it spelled this way in brazil?
We know it as caipirinha and it indeed is a nice drink especially when it´s hot.
A good girl-friend of mine is working in the embassy in Paraguay just a few miles from yourself;) and she´s addicted to that stuff (you know what I mean, she´s not an alcoholic but...)

but agreement cannot move this situation
Of course it´s nice to collect ideas to improve the forum
but most imprtantly we should prove some patience as this is a free service (and a good one) where people are working hard to keep it running.

best regards to the crew!

The images shall stay as links but that stupid link shall load the images within the post itself, not in a different window. Come on guys, it is easy to do it that way.

ps: test attach too...

ps2: why oh why is it opened in a new window?

Attachments

9.6 KB · Views: 83
I would like to see a thumbnail of the images in the page.
Without a preview ppl would have to open most images anyway which probably doesn't lower the amount of traffic generated by huge amounts.
A pop up with the full image could be opened by clicking on the thumbnail.

When the width & height attributes of an image are specified then all/most browsers are smart enough to show placeholders of the correct size so the text doesn't jump around during loading.
A thumbnail would allow for the widht/height to be fixed, making it easier to program.

purplepeople said:
Bandwidth wouldn't be such a problem is users knew how to compress their images. I know that some do since many photos load very quickly. But others can take 15 secs... on a 2Mbit commercial DSL connection!

The little check box for "did you search" slows people enough to make them think. A similar check box for "did you compress your attachment" might make them really think.

Also, a limit on the size of an attachment to less than 50K would automatically force uploaders to compress most of their images. In fact, removing BMP as a valid extension might show an immediate drop in file size since it automatically weeds out the graphically-challenged.

I've been whining about graphics sizes on this forum for a good long time so I'm with purplepeople on this. Make only gif, jpg and png valid as graphics. And, 50K is a good limit. I have yet to see a photo on the forums that couldn't convey the message in that size or less. Another thing many posters don't do is CROP. Often the object being shown is less than 25% of the photo size. When people want to show their speakers there is no need to include their drapes and ceiling.

I think people believe that megabyte photos are OK because of DSL but increasing graphics size tends to defeat the purpose of DSL. On top of that, most servers can't deliver the data as fast as DSL is capable of. Most web sites I visit can barely eke out 1.5K. DIY lately is averaging less than 1K. I recently visited a site where the server was delivering at 18K - what a treat.

I don't think a check box "did you compress your attachment" is going to get the job done. If the file is too big just refuse it and automatically send them to a page with a tutorial on file types, compression and cropping. A note on composition and proper exposure for black items wouldn't hurt either.

I'd rather have a forum with no pics than no forum at all. The guys are doing a good job and have to work within certain constraints...... we get this great site for free. An additional click to see a pic is no great hardship.

I agree with Bill on the sizes of some of these pics...... users have to learn to reduce the resolution as well as crop. You don't need 1600x1200 for the web....... 640x480 is more than adequate.

I'm stuck with a 56K modem so large pics are a pain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.