ATC SM75-150S Dome Mid Measurement Data

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
blackreplica said:
Just for the sake of argument, i fail to see a compelling reason based on the objective measurements to choose this ATC over say, a Dayton RS52. In many ways they are actually quite similar. Distortion levels are similar. Breakup on the rs52, being much higher in frequency means the usable passband on the dayton is larger although the hard cutoff for both on the low-end is about 500Hz. I am not sure about how the dayton fares in terms of dispersion, but being a 2 inch dome, it cant be any worse than the ATC. The biggest difference here is the fact the dayton can be bought for nearly 1/10th the price

Thoughts?

zaphs rs52 test: http://www.zaphaudio.com/smalltest/

I think mark K tested the dome as well and produced similar results

The RS52 was tested at 90db/1m. I did 90dB/2m or 96dB/1m. No doubt the budget Dayton would fall to pieces before the ATC would.

ShinOBIWAN said:

The RS52 was tested at 90db/1m. I did 90dB/2m or 96dB/1m. No doubt the budget Dayton would fall to pieces before the ATC would.

What would you equate the ATCs upper amplitude limit (~600hz XO) as far as power compression, distortion, etc? Would they be able to keep up with a compression driver at 2-2.5khz or are they just direct radiators with good dynamics?

I'm most interested in their capability above 110dB, right around 1w/1m for a quality CD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
thadman said:

What would you equate the ATCs upper amplitude limit (~600hz XO) as far as power compression, distortion, etc? Would they be able to keep up with a compression driver at 2-2.5khz or are they just direct radiators with good dynamics?

I'm most interested in their capability above 110dB, right around 1w/1m for a quality CD

Well the figures shown at the beginning of this thread were taken at 96dB/1m. 110dB and clean performance is a big ask of any driver. I really wouldn't like to speculate about such things considering the $700 price tag of an ATC mid. My guess is that it would happily play in the 600hz+ range with steep 4th order+ filters at those levels and still remain subjectively clean. I'd think THD would be in the 2% range across the passband but that's a guess based on previous performance and assuming a relatively linear rise in distortion with regards to output.

The ATC would have no problem keeping up with the dynamics of a compression driver. The problem is that the ATC doesn't have the same colourations so it would be interesting to see what happens when the two are paired.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
tinitus said:
Just wonder about those 110db...can sound be called hifi at such levels :confused:

Thadman mentioned 110dB at 1m. A realistic listening distance is around 3m making that 98dB. Considering peaks of upto 12dB in average music content then you can take that down to 86dB average SPL. This is all pretty sobering because most systems have no hope of conveying realistic transients and peaks at decent distortion and without compression.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
tinitus said:
Seems to me these mid domes especially would be some benefit from a MTM configuration
I Use the domes in MTM configuration coupled with a Stage accompany 8535 as tweeter:)

Attachments

• mtm.jpg
    mtm.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 691
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
The spacing between the drivers is a consequense of their physical dimensions as you could see in the attached image:). It is the S-version and I cross them electronic at approx. 1400 hz.
Compared to use "only" one mid per channel my subjective impression is that this configuration gives a more precise and controlled "soundstage" and more "body" to voices etc.

Attachments

• dscf1282.jpg
    dscf1282.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 805
diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Patrik:

Wow, very interesting (and exotic) setup you have there. Would you mind providing some more detail about it? What woofer, what are you using for a crossover? Whats the story behind the cabinets? Thanks. I'd love to see more pictures too if you're so inclined.

Agreed. Those ATC are addictive so the more the better :) Despite the smallish picture I believe the visible bass driver is a 9" ATC probably SB75-234 in either SC or LC variant. The SA planar is another well regarded driver. You might remember Thylantyr who uses about 8 or so per side in line arrays. Alcons and SLS also have best of breed planars but these aren't available to DIY'ers sadly. I think the Alcons is designed by the same chap who originally did the SA.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
m0tion said:

Really? I'd never heard of it. Do you know of any measurements available? Vendors?

Yep, SA is well regarded but mainly in pro circles. They can take a large amount of punishment and distortion is frighteningly low. Only real problem is that you have to fashion your own front plate or use the horrible horn that SA can provide.

http://www.stageaccompany.com/en/products/ribboncd.php

There was some measurement knocking around on the net. Try Google. Also take a look at Alcons who do a beefier version of the SA in a line source. There's some distortion figures on that and I think I remember it as being around 1% at 120dB!

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
m0tion said:
Patrik:

Wow, very interesting (and exotic) setup you have there. Would you mind providing some more detail about it? What woofer, what are you using for a crossover? Whats the story behind the cabinets? Thanks. I'd love to see more pictures too if you're so inclined.

The bass driver is ATC SB75-234 SC. The cabinets where made about five years ago and I´m still not shure what kind if configuration I should go for. I have more bass units of the same kind and a pair of ATC SB100-375 SC to choose from :).
The crossover is of the swedish brand "Supreme" and is custom built for this application. I will try to make som kind of measurements in the next weekend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.