ATC SCM20

??? What sort of improvements are you looking for if the sound is not to be changed?

PS Some ATC speakers have no baffle step correction (for example) and this would be well worth addressing if this is the case with your speaker. I don't know whether this is the case or not with your speaker. Anyone?

Last edited:
The components in an ATC speaker tend to be good quality but the technical performance delivered for the price tends to be modest at best compared with better engineered speakers from Genelec, Neumann and the like. If you consider the ATC speaker in the link above it would benefit greatly from some DIY attention to introduce baffle step correction, improve the radiation pattern with a waveguide, active crossover if this available and possibly more. The high quality components mean it is well worth doing if interested in improving technical performance. Of course, improving the performance will substantially reduce the resale value given the strength of the brand so it is not necessarily recommended.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
To the op: don't modify them, at 6000€/pair for bookshelf (edit: pslt are 9000€/pair!) if you dislike them sell them and go buy or build something else.

Waveguide on ATC won't do, ATC philosophy is wide radiating pattern over a large part ( most) of the freq range ( +/- 80* so around 160* pattern). Trying to 'solve' this ( even if it makes sense) will have a poor outcome if you like the 'sound' of this brand.

Trying to modify the passive xover won't bring anything. Maybe switch to active filtering ( like in the bigger amplified model SCM110A) but it'll probably be not as easy as it seems and will kill resale value for sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
About bsc ( baffle step compensation) and ATC: i know the pro range and most of them have a 'bass compensation' potentiometer on the back ( both passive and active).
It makes sense as they can be inwall mounted or used freestanding.
I don't know if they use it on hifi models but for bookshelves i bet they rely on wall bass reinforcement. For a tower i don't know? Anyway it can be implemented before amp, it's a simple high shelf attenuator with freq defined circa 115/ width of cabinet in meter. So around 480hz for scm20pslt should be in ballpark ( 115/0,239= 481hz).

If OP have a computer as source any plug in of hi shelf eq on output should do.

Trying to modify the passive xover won't bring anything.

It will if there is no baffle step correction like in the ATC speaker in the link above. The linked speaker is an SCM19 rather than an SCM20 so the OP's speaker may be OK but having seen something like this it would seem rather unwise to make assumptions. ATC seems to be a rather different company these days to what they were a few decades back.

A shallow waveguide can smooth the directivity of the tweeter over the lower frequencies while doing little at the high frequency end. The Harman Revel speakers are an example of waveguides on wide beamwidth speakers.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think we mostly agree Andy and the famous mid driver use a short horn to achieve the 160* pattern but it work way lower than their 2way models ( usually xover circa 2,5khz to softdome, mid is used typically from 400/700hz).
For BSC when missing we usually implemented it by using an eq before the amp on monitors out of desk. Nowadays i would stick a vst plug on output of daw an call it a day.

Iow what i purposed to solve the hypothetical issue.

Anyway after living with 110A for some years as main at work i know I dislike this kind of loudspeakers and truly prefer narrower radiating pattern despite the ATC strength ( the mids are really transparent and revealing but i find them boring overall / including other biggers monitors in the range like 200 or 300 ).
They require a lot of treatment in room to sound at their best which is not the best choice for domestic use imho ( the downside to wide radiating pattern).
Each one it's own i suppose.

Last edited: