ATC drivers : models

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ATC Drivers available

From my understanding, only the non-super linear versions of the drivers are available from places like Solen.ca. The drivers ATC uses in their monitors are the "newer" (mid ninties) Super Linear ones.

So, I've always wondered if the units available for chumps like us are NOS (new old stock) or ATC is still making the older versions for the DIY market (I think it is the former). Anybody know?

I have the mid and LC version of the 10" drivers - taken from an early 90's Proac model (Studio Tower) and I love them.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Re: ATC Drivers available

TwangBar said:
From my understanding, only the non-super linear versions of the drivers are available from places like Solen.ca. The drivers ATC uses in their monitors are the "newer" (mid ninties) Super Linear ones.

So, I've always wondered if the units available for chumps like us are NOS (new old stock) or ATC is still making the older versions for the DIY market (I think it is the former). Anybody know?

Just to clarify:

When you order a driver from ATC, you'll nearly always find that it will be built on request, often with a couple of weeks to a couple of months wait. At least that's my experience after ordering 8 drivers spread over 4 orders. One thing I'm certain of is that the stuff available to DIY'ers hasn't been laying around for a few years.

The SL technology applies to the bass drivers and yes this is exclusive to ATC's mid to top end products. However the SC, LC and SL variants all share the same common components ie. basket, cone, spiders, surrounds and the basic motor design. Where they differ is the VC topology for the SC and LC, and the SL has the hysteresis reducing ring at the top of the gap and a larger magnet to bring the BL figure back up due to the drop in efficiency because of the use of a wider gap to accomodate the SL bits.

In terms of performance, Bob at ATC said the SC(short coil) is superior to the LC(long coil) for linearity and therefor measured performance. The SC is the best of them all but they all share the same tonality and family sound just with decreasing distortion and increased linearity as you move from LC to SC to SL.

The ATC dome mid that you or I can buy is identical to the ones used throughout the more serious monitors they make. The current version is the mk3 which is easily recognised by the curved profile waveguide, this was introduce in 2000 I believe or at least the first models using it showed up about then. The mk1 and mk2 look identical when mounted in the cabinet but you'll find that the very first version used a slightly smaller magnet system.

There maybe other differences between each because some of this info here is just gathered from what little there is available about these drivers. Most however is straight from ATC themselves that I've noted during emails and telephone conversations.

If you've got a serious question about ATC drivers then I'd highly recommend emailing ATC directly. They're very helpful in such situations and Bob or Billy are the best for technical questions.

Sorry, I think I have some parameters in my old computer but it is hard to get it going. From what I remember this driver needs a rather large enclosure. Can´t remember all simulations I have done but the underhang resp. conventional voice coil model needed something like 100 L and 70 L reflex cabinets.

Maybe it´s possible to get some information from this English retailer;

https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk...0_165&osCsid=aa71a786774a5b9b61d372feb8224053

FWIW I use Volt woofers and though I have heard a large speaker with some ATC woofers I think they resemble each others

ATC SB75-234SC
size: 9" (24cm)
dB: 85
Fs: 31hz
Qt: 0,325
Xmax: 10mm
Power: 150W
Le: ?
Moving mass: 41g
Price: £260

Volt BM2500.4
Size: 10" (25cm)
dB:92
Fs:32hz
Qt:0,21
Xmax: 8mm
Power: 200W
Le: 0,9mh
Moving mass: 48g
Price: £221

I see these two drivers quite similar. If I knew the Le of the ATC, I could make a choice.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Seem to be so

Though the low 85db of the ATC seems a bit strange, considering the high Fs and thick poleplate, but maybe its too thick fore a weak magnet

Might make sense to look at the individul different character(sound) of the two, as it seems like they really will be different

tinitus said:

That I dont understand

The VOLTs I have seen all have PRO like Fs around 30hz, and highish SPL
But surely I dont know much about VOLT

Volt have a Studio range and a Pro range of drivers. I ordered the R 3143 which had a Fs of 29 Hz and a VAS of 110 but received the RV 3143 with a Fs of 34 and a Vas of 76 , thus my 120 liters enclosures were to large. But I fixed the problem and in the end I am very pleased with the result!

Drivers having a rather high Fs were regarded by me as not that suitable for Home-HiFi but I have changed opinion. I think it was the American speaker manufacturer Talon that claimed that a very low Fs easily leads to cones that don´t stop so fast, in other words cone-flapping (we are taking vented boxes). Despite having no "subsonic" filter and DC-coupled amps I can´t notice any flapping at all even when playing at loud volumes. Cone flapping may introduce Doppler distortion. AS I recall, ATC woofers don´t have very low Fs specifications as well.

BTW Volt B 2500.1; a 10" unit has a Fs of 25 Hz and in a vented box I don´t see so much of a reason to go much lower.

Of course I have no interests in the Volt company or any other company in the audio business.

Just to clarify:

When you order a driver from ATC, you'll nearly always find that it will be built on request, often with a couple of weeks to a couple of months wait. At least that's my experience after ordering 8 drivers spread over 4 orders. One thing I'm certain of is that the stuff available to DIY'ers hasn't been laying around for a few years.

The SL technology applies to the bass drivers and yes this is exclusive to ATC's mid to top end products. However the SC, LC and SL variants all share the same common components ie. basket, cone, spiders, surrounds and the basic motor design. Where they differ is the VC topology for the SC and LC, and the SL has the hysteresis reducing ring at the top of the gap and a larger magnet to bring the BL figure back up due to the drop in efficiency because of the use of a wider gap to accomodate the SL bits.

In terms of performance, Bob at ATC said the SC(short coil) is superior to the LC(long coil) for linearity and therefor measured performance. The SC is the best of them all but they all share the same tonality and family sound just with decreasing distortion and increased linearity as you move from LC to SC to SL.

The ATC dome mid that you or I can buy is identical to the ones used throughout the more serious monitors they make. The current version is the mk3 which is easily recognised by the curved profile waveguide, this was introduce in 2000 I believe or at least the first models using it showed up about then. The mk1 and mk2 look identical when mounted in the cabinet but you'll find that the very first version used a slightly smaller magnet system.

There maybe other differences between each because some of this info here is just gathered from what little there is available about these drivers. Most however is straight from ATC themselves that I've noted during emails and telephone conversations.

If you've got a serious question about ATC drivers then I'd highly recommend emailing ATC directly. They're very helpful in such situations and Bob or Billy are the best for technical questions.

I have a 12 inch sl and the sc versions in front of me and the magnets look exactly the same size, actually both speakers look the exactly the same. The only difference is on the info plate at the back the SC says type sc and the sl's say type SL. The ring will be internal so I cant see it.
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.