AT-HA-5000 schematic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could also calculate it. If you have defined the switching points for your own, you can calculate the values. But I do not expect it to be necessary. The engineers of Audio Technica will have determined these values critically. Considering the rest of the setup of this circuit / PCB.
But of course you are free to make adjustments.

Thanks guys.

Yesterday I got confused and left my amplifier "on" arround 24 hours and the initial values have almost not been modified, which means that everything works correctly. At roughly 6mV Offset on one channel and 3mV on the other. Mosfet temperature about 47º ;)

Only an appreciation: Of course I don´t have more knowledge than ATH engineers but EMHO 150mV offset can fry an earphone and more if we talk about an ATH headset (low impedance and high sensitivity).

This is why I was surprised by such a high value and that is why I was asking if the safety circuit could be adjusted to lower values. :confused:

I don´t want to create any controversy or any misunderstanding. :):):)

Yes, I use over-ear all time. An amplifier like that (or your F5ha ;) ) does not make sense if you don´t use these headphones.

I know, today there are higher tolerances with respect to offset but it´s something that I don´t feel comfortable. Maybe I´m very paranoid in that sense :emoticon::emoticon::emoticon:

Those UHC-Mosfets has very high transconductances and hence plenty of drive, even in Class AB.
And 130mA bias is way more than enough for any headphone other than electrostatics (vias transformer).

So if I were you I would not bother.
But then it is your amp, and the only way to find out is to try.

If your MOSFETs (in fact all active devices) came from those Chinese kits then I sugggest you change them with genuine NOS parts.
Those parts supplied with the kit are what they call refurbished parts.
They are removed from equipment (i.e. used, 2nd hand, ....) and they even have means to weld on new leads to make them look new.

Just my 2 cents,
Patrick

> so maybe they have been stressed, still work....

Question is when they might fail, and how.
I had failed MOSFETs before after one year at high bias.
So I would not use any unless I have to, and then only with headphone protection to detect any power device failure.

> I don't think the mosfets will be easy to source.

Correct.

Patrick

Your opinions are always welcome Patrick.

About Mosfets: I understand that they don't "wear out". I guess that work and temperature extend or not their useful life until they fail.

I'm quite impressive with the sound of UHC mosfet. I've searched information about it but I haven't done much. Not even a category as such. What can indicate that a Mosfet is "UHC"?

For MOSFET failure modes, please refer to the reference above.

UHC means ultra high conductance (or some say current).
These were made by Renesas a few years ago for high current switching.
Also used in many Japanese DIY amps (notably by Kaneda) as well as some products.
Plenty of drive and control, but perhaps not as "refined" as lateral FETs.

2SK2586 and 2SJ555 combo Mosfet
Hitachi mosfet power amplifier

2SJ554/2SK2955 classAB SEPP power amplifier
2SJ554/2SK2955 classA SEPP power amplifier
????????????????????(3) - ??????
https://www.minor-audio.com/bibou/amp/2006nonfb_pcb.html

Patrick

For those intertested in circuits, here a Spice file of the schematics posted at the beginning of the thread.
There are no reliable models of 2SK2955/2SJ554, so I used the closest available, namely 2SK3497/2SJ618.

As you will notice, plenty of compensations all around required to get it stable.
Open loop bandwidth is very high, with about 40~50dB NFB.

Patrick

Attachments

• AT Clone Public THD.asc
    9.2 KB · Views: 240
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.