Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Do you like long antennaes (cables running at MCK) running back to the source from the DAC (I don't), the whole point of the fifo is to put the master clock in the DAC.

So it looks like this: [Transport]-spdif-[fifo-dac]. Its nothing to fear works great.

not really, simply take shorter as possible the distance from the DAC to the source, the same box
so, MCLK close to the DAC, then back to the source or to the FIFO that acts as the source

Please, let me know why you want to use S/PDIF source, that embeds the clock, when I2S source are available, a cleaner signal than the S/PDIF.
Also to come back to I2S.
Like to go from Berlin to Oslo via Sidney.

Not all devices used will be high end audio gear...
Good example is the PS3 and my Sony 400 Disk Blu-Ray Changer and also its going to be a multi channel setup on my end.
Probably looking at a 10.2 Setup ( taking into account bi-amp speakers too )

Last edited:
Not all devices used will be high end audio gear...
Good example is the PS3 and my Sony 400 Disk Blu-Ray Changer and also its going to be a multi channel setup on my end.
Probably looking at a 10.2 Setup ( taking into account bi-amp speakers too )

that's ok, sorry
I was talking only about the best way to listen something close to live music, not about any kind of entertainment

you are right, I'm a little dated, wireless is not useful in my music world, just a cable do easily the job

nah, wireless is very useful in your world you seem to be just prejudiced against it. one of those audiophile superstitions I guess

oh my God...
yeah thats what I said:p

Seems you don't understand, synchronizing the source from the DAC, FIFO is no longer useful
Linn docet

didnt I just say that before? forgive me, are you just trolling here?

But I'm dated, since I still prefer to listen to a live Staynway performance

I presume you mean Steinway? nothing dated about that, in fact whats that got to do with anything I said?

that's ok, sorry
I was talking only about the best way to listen something close to live music, not about any kind of entertainment

I figured that's what you meant.
In all honesty my wife and kids will most likely enjoy this piece more than I will. I always wanted a flexible processor that I can enjoy for both music and my home cinema :cool:
Either way I looked at it...

I figured that's what you meant.
In all honesty my wife and kids will most likely enjoy this piece more than I will. I always wanted a flexible processor that I can enjoy for both music and my home cinema :cool:
Either way I looked at it...

Long time ago I took a good advice that really solved a lots of my would be problems. Audio and video should be two separate systems. In the first place this works for me as a lifestyle - no TV in the living room, just in bedrooms - mostly for movies. But that gives me chance to have a really good two channel audio system in the living room. In the bedroom I recently replaced my Marantz receiver for Pioneer Elite SC68 and that was easy solve. Really awesome machine. If I had to deal with as many channels with my DIY stuff I would never finish. This way I do not care much for video as much I care for audio, so I could put my attention to where is needed. Also video and FIFO, we spoke about that before, are not going well together because of the delay.

Now multichannel is critical for stereo multi way speakers and that where some of us are spending our energy. So far it is extremely complex in achieving the final goal, but when done, it gives a great results. Just like Qusp, I welcome any development in that direction.

One nice thing about this FIFO and extention boards is that it can make a very flexible and evolutive system. We should not expect that everyone has the same objectifs and needs toward it... For my part I have a 1500$ DAC with no I2S Input, a 2500$ Digital cherry Amp and a pair of modded Magnapan MMG speakers and only one place to listen to tv, video and HIFI audio... I time this will probably change but the FIFO will stay ( once again thanks Ian ;-)

Last edited:
Long time ago I took a good advice that really solved a lots of my would be problems. Audio and video should be two separate systems. In the first place this works for me as a lifestyle - no TV in the living room, just in bedrooms - mostly for movies. But that gives me chance to have a really good two channel audio system in the living room. In the bedroom I recently replaced my Marantz receiver for Pioneer Elite SC68 and that was easy solve. Really awesome machine. If I had to deal with as many channels with my DIY stuff I would never finish. This way I do not care much for video as much I care for audio, so I could put my attention to where is needed. Also video and FIFO, we spoke about that before, are not going well together because of the delay.

Now multichannel is critical for stereo multi way speakers and that where some of us are spending our energy. So far it is extremely complex in achieving the final goal, but when done, it gives a great results. Just like Qusp, I welcome any development in that direction.

Yup..
And that's why FIFO will be an option that will be enabled on Audio only inputs :)

Exactly, thats the benefit of the fifo vs a synchronized transport, you can have that same performance from any one of your connected transports. I dont fancy sending clock sync lines back to 4 different places, if that were even possible.

Spinning discs dont really do it for me these days, I like to be able to use my audio system to produce music as well as listen to it and I love internet radio for discovering new artists, or simply enjoying music that I didnt choose.

Not everyone has a 'Staynway' in their acoustically treated living room; let alone a matching ensemble of players to collaborate with. I listen to all types of music, some even the Devil's own electronic music and besides I sometimes like to listen in a more passive way, so I can sit down, relax and perhaps even hold a conversation.

I was thinking 2 of those DIY ESS9018 eBay modules running a total of 16 channels !!

The middle man (the DSP) that will do all the filtering and control will be HifiDuino based.

I already started the gathering of parts. I have the Arduino Due and a 5" touch TFT on its way and next step will be the 2x Ebay DACs. Right now im going to worry about the audio part of it and add in the Video sections later.

Right now I'm DSP hunting :)

Hey Ian...
Hows your dual clock board coming along ?

I'm in at least for 1 as i will be running Dual ESS9018's and they need a good clock :)

To run 9018 at dual mono, Si570 board would be a better option, because it running 90.xxx and 98.xxx MCLK, and has dedicated dual mono output port.

What's going? Well I'm enjoying the music...now :D

But I have to finish the jitter testing report;)

Ian

I was thinking 2 of those DIY ESS9018 eBay modules running a total of 16 channels !!

The middle man (the DSP) that will do all the filtering and control will be HifiDuino based.

I already started the gathering of parts. I have the Arduino Due and a 5" touch TFT on its way and next step will be the 2x Ebay DACs. Right now im going to worry about the audio part of it and add in the Video sections later.

Right now I'm DSP hunting :)

which 8 channel ebay es9018 are you talking about? I havent seen one that exposes all the 8 channels of output.

seems you are also waiting for a multichannel fifo =) even then I doubt it will be 16 channels, unless Ian allows them to be chained together somehow. 16 channels really limits the scope for DSP, I would recommend a mix of active analogue and digital crossover for that many channels. I dont know if the new mini DSP miniSHARC allows 2 to be teamed, but that may be an option for reasonable money. not sure where the number of channels tops out with programs like Allocator

if you are prepared to spin your own multichannel IV stages and power supplies, the AKD18P is a great choice, you would not need his controller either if you are skilled with arduino. the whole ackodac system its excellent, but I suspect over your budget to do 16 channels, but if you are prepared to just get the dac boards and do the rest yourself its not so bad.

I would not recommend going for cheap es9018 solutions, its simply a complex dac to get right, so its expensive and requires skilled layout, there is no way around that. the ebay 9018 boards i've seen and the one I think you might be talking about, are severely flawed. if its the one i'm thinking of all the outputs are combined to 2 channel and not all the digital inputs are available without cutting traces.

I would not recommend going for cheap es9018 solutions, its simply a complex dac to get right, so its expensive and requires skilled layout, there is no way around that. the ebay 9018 boards i've seen and the one I think you might be talking about, are severely flawed. if its the one i'm thinking of all the outputs are combined to 2 channel and not all the digital inputs are available without cutting traces.

Thanks for the heads up, i realized soon after i looked at the board again that its a 2Ch unit...

However i did get some free samples from AD :p
I got 2x ADAU1966 and 2x ADAU1445 :D

Let the Games begin !!! :eek:
And yes the FIFO is still in the picture...