Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

SC-Pure 22.5792MHz clock is already a bit better than Pulsar clock at the same frequency. It could be one of the best 22.5792MHz audio clock so far we can touch.
I removed some clocks from the comparison chart because the posted phase noise numbers are way off from the actual measurement by a calibrated phase noise analyzer. Just want to avoid any possible missleading.

22.5792 MHz ultra-low phase noise clock oscillators comparison chart
Phase noise (dBc/Hz)0.1Hz1Hz10Hz100Hz1KHz10KHz100KHz1MHz10MHzNote
SC-Pure, SC-Cut-65.48-91.82-120.9-147.91-160.03-166.01-166.19-168.52-167.97Square output, 3.3V
Pulsar, SC-Cut, OCXON/A-90-120-145-160-165-165N/AN/ASquare output, 3.3V
CCHD957, AT-CutN/AN/A-97.38-126.39-148.89-161.76-168.82-169.69N/ASquare output, 3.3V

ScPure22FinalPost

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
MonitorPiPro and PurePiII spotted in the wild….
Attempt at a DAC stack! Put a nice knob on that pot!

IMG_8065.jpeg

IMG_8066.jpeg

MonitorPiPro is interesting. Lets you control the DAC AND input selection on future ReceiverPiPros I think. I had to jumper my receiverpi pro to select the input but basically if you turn the knob it asks you for the input and then you select your volume for that input.
I don’t have power supplied to my output board yet but that’s coming soon. PuriPiII has cool purple UC and a sync charging function I haven’t tried yet.
IMG_8071.jpeg
IMG_8072.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
MonitorPiPro and PurePiII spotted in the wild….
Attempt at a DAC stack! Put a nice knob on that pot!

View attachment 1209145
View attachment 1209130

MonitorPiPro is interesting. Lets you control the DAC AND input selection on future ReceiverPiPros I think. I had to jumper my receiverpi pro to select the input but basically if you turn the knob it asks you for the input and then you select your volume for that input.
I don’t have power supplied to my output board yet but that’s coming soon. PuriPiII has cool purple UC and a sync charging function I haven’t tried yet. View attachment 1209131 View attachment 1209132
@fusion360guy
This looks great. Thanks for sharing. Could you please share list of components/hats positioned from bottom to top.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @iancanada I'd appreciate your inputs here. I want to build a simplified version of your flagship streamer with an RPi4 (the one that Gabster built here). I'm trying to understand the max bit rate/ resolution such a streamer would support for both PCM and DSD playback. The manual for FifoPiQ7 and HdmiPi Pro themselves seem to indicate PCM upto 24bit/768Khz and DSD native upto 1024, but I'm assuming there are other limitations such as RPi4's inability to send native DSD signals.

1. What is the max bit rate/resolution that Gabster's build (PurePi + FifoPiQ7 + HdmiPi Pro + RPi4) supports for PCM and DSD playback?

2. If I want native DSD support all the way to DSD512, I reckon I need a BridgePi with Amanaro Combo384. Where do I insert this in Gabster's stack above? PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro?

3. Also the new SC-Pure clocks you are going to release, does it support only 384Khz max for PCM signals?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Hi all, here is a list of the Streamer/DAC stack I posted yesterday:

0. Amazon Spikes (stand)
1. PurePi II power supply (clean 5V and 3.3V power) fed by iFi Silent iPower2 Power Supply
2. Raspberry Pi3B
3. ShieldPiProMkII shield (reduce noise, although this should be higher up in stack, i don't have a required adapter so its here now)
4. ReciverPiPro input board (input from GPIO, HDMI (I2S), RCA (Coax digital), Optical)
5. GPIO Spacer to get next board above receiverPi input hardware
6. FiFoPiQ7 (reclocker magic)
7. MonitorPiPro installed onto FiFoPiQ7 (new board combining ESS controller and monitorPi functions and then some. no manual yet. I am one of the first users)
8. 9038Q2MPIDualMonoPlus DAC Hat (converts to analogue out). Remove clock as FiFoPiQ7 is doing the clocking function.
9. OPA861 Fully Balanced Zero Feedback 1/V Stage (XLR and RCA outputs)

Notes
i) FiFo Master clock connected to DACHat Master Clock.
ii) 3.3V connected from PurePiII to FiFoPi and then bridge to all 3 3.3 volt blocks on the DAC Hat board. Be very careful not to mix the polarity up or you will blow the boards.
iii) This is still somewhat non functional as I need to power the OPA861 with +5V, -5V and Ground from a clean power supply such as the LinearPi Solo or Duo, and then this also needs fed with another external power supply. So I am working on figuring out what i want there. I do get sound, it is just not loud as obviously the OPA861 opamp board needs power to amplify the signals I assume.
iv) I had to jumper the ReceiverPi Pro to select audio input to the RCA digital input (coax). I believe the future receiver boards will be able to have a jumper from the MonitorPiPro to the ReceiverPixxx to enable the selection from the front panel to work. Of course you could attach your own switches to do this function easily.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi @iancanada I'd appreciate your inputs here. I want to build a simplified version of your flagship streamer with an RPi4 (the one that Gabster built here). I'm trying to understand the max bit rate/ resolution such a streamer would support for both PCM and DSD playback. The manual for FifoPiQ7 and HdmiPi Pro themselves seem to indicate PCM upto 24bit/768Khz and DSD native upto 1024, but I'm assuming there are other limitations such as RPi4's inability to send native DSD signals.

1. What is the max bit rate/resolution that Gabster's build (PurePi + FifoPiQ7 + HdmiPi Pro + RPi4) supports for PCM and DSD playback?

2. If I want native DSD support all the way to DSD512, I reckon I need a BridgePi with Amanaro Combo384. Where do I insert this in Gabster's stack above? PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro?

3. Also the new SC-Pure clocks you are going to release, does it support only 384Khz max for PCM signals?

Thanks in advance for your response.
It's capable of 768KHz, but RPi software limits to 384KHz so far

2. 2. If I want native DSD support all the way to DSD512, I reckon I need a BridgePi with Amanaro Combo384. Where do I insert this in Gabster's stack above? PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro?
Please wait for my RecieverPi DDC unless you have USB input only.

SC-Pure 45/49 support up to 384KHz

Got it @iancanada much appreciated. Quick follow up question - What does the ReceiverPi DDC replace in this stack - PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro? I have a Denafrips Pontus II DAC and I prefer to use I2S input on the DAC and ideally get native DSD512 / PCM 384Khz playback. Let me know if ReceiverPi DDC will better suit my needs. Thank you!

0. Amazon Spikes (stand)
1. PurePi II power supply (clean 5V and 3.3V power) fed by iFi Silent iPower2 Power Supply
2. Raspberry Pi3B
3. ShieldPiProMkII shield (reduce noise, although this should be higher up in stack, i don't have a required adapter so its here now)
4. ReciverPiPro input board (input from GPIO, HDMI (I2S), RCA (Coax digital), Optical)
7. MonitorPiPro installed onto FiFoPiQ7 (new board combining ESS controller and monitorPi functions and then some. no manual yet. I am one of the first users)
8. 9038Q2MPIDualMonoPlus DAC Hat (converts to analogue out). Remove clock as FiFoPiQ7 is doing the clocking function.

Notes
ii) 3.3V connected from PurePiII to FiFoPi and then bridge to all 3 3.3 volt blocks on the DAC Hat board. Be very careful not to mix the polarity up or you will blow the boards.
iii) This is still somewhat non functional as I need to power the OPA861 with +5V, -5V and Ground from a clean power supply such as the LinearPi Solo or Duo, and then this also needs fed with another external power supply. So I am working on figuring out what i want there. I do get sound, it is just not loud as obviously the OPA861 opamp board needs power to amplify the signals I assume.
iv) I had to jumper the ReceiverPi Pro to select audio input to the RCA digital input (coax). I believe the future receiver boards will be able to have a jumper from the MonitorPiPro to the ReceiverPixxx to enable the selection from the front panel to work. Of course you could attach your own switches to do this function easily.

Hope this helps.
For future are you going to plan ShieldPiProMkII placement between Fifo Q7 & DAC Hat? required adapter will be a spacer or any thing specific?
I hope this is complete separate stack from the streamer build you have.
If yes, the input Digital signal from streamer will reach ReciverPiPro, then ES9038Q2MPiDualMonoPlus DAC HAT converts to Analog using FifoQ7 clocks and OPA861 gives the analog output to the next channels in the flow....am i correct in understanding the flow?
What software RPi will be holding here particularly for this DAC scenario.
Can we plan to add TransportPiAES/HDMIPiPro HAT also to this stack (to use as Streamer+DAC in same stack).....will that work? pros and cons/Limitations if any Please?

I need to power my OPA861 I/V board with +5/-5/GND.
Considering I will also have a streamer stack and a separate DAC stack with PurePiII, is the best solution a dual LinearPiMarkIIDual?
And then I see that this needs to be fed AC or DC power.
Can I use this to power the streamer and the DAC stacks with 5VDC AND the OPA861 with +5/-5/GND?
I see in the manual recommendations for a toroidal transformer to power the OPA861.
But then how do your build that power supply?

help 🙏

For future are you going to plan ShieldPiProMkII placement between Fifo Q7 & DAC Hat? required adapter will be a spacer or any thing specific?
I hope this is complete separate stack from the streamer build you have.
If yes, the input Digital signal from streamer will reach ReciverPiPro, then ES9038Q2MPiDualMonoPlus DAC HAT converts to Analog using FifoQ7 clocks and OPA861 gives the analog output to the next channels in the flow....am i correct in understanding the flow?
What software RPi will be holding here particularly for this DAC scenario.
Can we plan to add TransportPiAES/HDMIPiPro HAT also to this stack (to use as Streamer+DAC in same stack).....will that work? pros and cons/Limitations if any Please?
Yes. This is interim to see what else I need to buy for the DAC build. The Pi is only there to mount the receiverpipro onto. I need to buy a kit to be able to mount onto PurePiII directly without the Pi.

Yes the recommended build is with the shieldpipro elsewhere.

So I plan to have following flow.

Streamer i built before (see older post) with the HDMIPro as well. So I can send out from the streamer i2S or digital spidif use the TrasportAES.

New MinusPi DAC stack I am thinking will be

1. PurePi power
2. ReceiverPi ProII or ReceiverPi DDC for hdmi i2S input (input from i2S output of my streamer stack)
3. GPIO kit if some sort Ian suggested for ShieldPiPro to connect to ReveiverPi
4. ShieldPi Pro noise reduce
5. FiFoPiQ7 reclock
6. ESS9038DualMonoDAC II Hat convert (upcoming)
7. OPA861 I/V
8. MonitorPi Pro as the integrated controller.

For now I will use my existing receiverpipro and 9038dualmonoplus and see what functions I get.

This was just a basic test to see if the DAC and output boards worked. And I discovered I need a truckload of different power 😂 super fun project.

I currently output from the streamer via coax or optical out to my Cambridge DACMagic 200M. I am going to try to better the DM200M with Ian’s stuff.

My current setup for analogue is XLR to powered Focal Audio A50 monitors. So when I ditch the Cambridge it will be XLR out from the custom built DAC OPA861 to the focal audio.

Eventually I will build a preamp but so far the DAC xlr out provides more than enough volume via powered speakers. Ie precessional line out signal to powered monitors. I am a musician too and I love XLR.

Cheers

Last edited:

0. Amazon Spikes (stand)
2. Raspberry Pi3B

Notes

Hope this helps.
Note this was a test build to test DAC build and board and MonitorPiPro and receiver boards. The pi is just there to mount the receiver board. Eventually the DAC will be its own thing and the streamer will not have a DAC or any analogue on it.

I need to power my OPA861 I/V board with +5/-5/GND.
Considering I will also have a streamer stack and a separate DAC stack with PurePiII, is the best solution a dual LinearPiMarkIIDual?
And then I see that this needs to be fed AC or DC power.
Can I use this to power the streamer and the DAC stacks with 5VDC AND the OPA861 with +5/-5/GND?
I see in the manual recommendations for a toroidal transformer to power the OPA861.
But then how do your build that power supply?

help 🙏
Are you planning to use Ians PSUs or building your own?

It's capable of 768KHz, but RPi software limits to 384KHz so far

2. 2. If I want native DSD support all the way to DSD512, I reckon I need a BridgePi with Amanaro Combo384. Where do I insert this in Gabster's stack above? PurePi > RPi4 > BridgePi + Amanaro > FifoPi > HdmiPi Pro?
Please wait for my RecieverPi DDC unless you have USB input only.

SC-Pure 45/49 support up to 384KHz
Hi @iancanada , the fifopiQ7 documentation, it says
• Support I2S input/output up to 768KHz
* Support native DSD input/output up to DSD 1024
Is RPI a bottleneck here. For example I want to build a streamer where can use HQPlayer to upsampled to DSD 1024 (my desktop supports it) and then use HQP NAA software to stream it via ethernet. If I use RPi would i be able to stream DSD1024?

Reactions: 1 users
Glad to follow this thread for a long time now. I intend to build a streamer for my coax input only dynaudio focus 20 xd.
Seems like a way to go will be purepi2+ rp4 + fifoq7+ transportAES (shieldpro2)?

Also looking forward to the futur sc-cut clocks. Is thé 2023 group by still active. I’le like to get in but i need to sell a couple of audio stuff in order to pay the new ones.

Looking for the linearpi mk2, is there a y chance to see a 9v version available at some point?
Also looking forward for a uc conditionner available in 12v and 9v. That whould be very great.
In the meantime would someone have a reasonnable option for a 9v psu for my pro-ject nos dac? Best regards.
Ps: something form audiophonics is an option…
But i like ian approach

Are you planning to use Ians PSUs or building your own?
I have a purePi 2 for each stack. I re read the manual. To power the OPA I/V I need a dual linear pi.

Where I’m stuck is what to power the dual linear pi with? His guide recommends a toroidal to supply AC but also says you can use DC non polarity supply??? Page 4 and page 7 of linear pi dual manual. I have no ideas what to shop for. If I build the toroidal thing is there a guide somewhere.

A toroidal supply is just a transformer. It takes your mains power 120V or 240V AC and creates two secondaries at some other voltage like 7VAC. So it is a transformer with a bunch of wires. You would need to look at the specific transformer wiring diagram for what wires go where. If you are freaked out about any of your house wiring and afraid of working with 120V mains wiring, you should probably pass on this.

Antek makes some reasonable transformers.