Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

So, Ideally for my case where I do not have prior experience with transformers, I should try to get prebuilt LPSUs?

Are there cases, safe tests that can make using transformers safer, more specifically if we talk about Hammond 1182N6 transformer which has two 6V output?

Is there a way to learn how to build power supplies from somewhere? All I see are electrical engineering degrees. I would just love to learn practical applications for now.
I would recommend you use prebuilt PSUs and Ian does offer solutions as well as others. There are many channels on YouTube and here is an example -

Reactions: 1 users
@NeoTheOne
Generelly always get the documentation of what he are using, here the transformer. There it should state which colour of the wires is what. Most important is of cause the input and output wires. The teansformer acts like gears: A 11V transformer with 110V input (AC!) transforms your voltage 10:1. If you connect it reversed, then 1:10.

So, take care what you are doing! This can be dangerous!
A safe way to test a transformers connection is a signal generator. Easy to use. You can then switch the signal generator to a much lower voltage than 110V and connect the transformer. Then measure with a good multimeter.
This way you can double check if the manufacturer did a good job.
With a oscilloscope you can even check if the phase of the transformer is correct.

In general don't do possibly dangerous things when in a hurry or if you don't feel good.
Some people here wear gloves to isolate themselves. Sounds strange, but it's a good thing. Buy a multimeter from a reputed brand. Fluke or Brymen or other big names are good. There are even YouTube channels or homepages just about testing multimeters and other test equipment.

Take care and have fun!
Matthias

UcBalancer is a special designed protection board to integrate ultracapacitors better with UcPure or other power supply.
With a full set of UcBalancer KIT, it makes things much easier to build top level power supplies for clocks, streamers or DACs.
  1. All connectors are fully assembled so there is no need for any soldering jobs.
  2. 1A high dumpling current with PTC fuses for a double protection
  3. With two ultracapacitor direct continuous outputs to get a best possible performance
  4. Comes with all accessories for a clean and easy installation

UcBalancer1 by Ian, on Flickr

UcBalancer0 by Ian, on Flickr

UcBalancer2 by Ian, on Flickr
Great news!! Thanks Ian for this very clean solution.

In addition to the pre-assembled connectors, are there other features absent in the other balancer boards on the market?

Is UcBalancer mechanically compatible with SPSCAP's SCP5000 UCS (5.000F)? The positive pole measures M12 and the negative is M14 while the length is 203mm.

Attachments

• SCP_STA_2.7V650-5000_20160725.pdf
    191.4 KB · Views: 80
Hello to the community,

Is there a qualitative difference in the power output between:
  • UcPure MKIII with Eaton's Ultra Capacitors
  • LinearPi MKII with UcConditioner (with e.g. Maxwell Supercapacitors)
If so, which is better and why? Originally I was thinking to implement the LinearPi with UcConditioner, but in this configurations the supercapacitors stick to much out in the height, whereas the UcPure with Ultracapacitors are very neatly stacked (just as Ian posted on 07.Jun).

@eduard In relationship to the SC clocks: What difference would you expect from UcPure IV contrary to the MKIII?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
It was a joke because MK4 not available ( yet). BUT i think is trying to achieve the best possible connection to the terminals is a good idea. I remember reading the French L'Audiophile magazine in the eighties where they put great effort in getting the best possible connection when using batteries and big caps.
I remember cleaning the contact areas and using electrolube contact enhancer.
Probably there will be a recommended torque for the terminal connections. The 3000F terminals have big bolts so very easy to apply to much torque because the tool will be longer. The reason why Ikea always supply you with tiny tools because there is no real wood at ikea.
When mounting them with to much torque this force will always be there and one day you will hear a crack. Using a big washer like Ian provides is a good way to create a steady but not to big force on the circuit board.
Greetings, eduard

Hello to the community,

Is there a qualitative difference in the power output between:
  • UcPure MKIII with Eaton's Ultra Capacitors
  • LinearPi MKII with UcConditioner (with e.g. Maxwell Supercapacitors)
If so, which is better and why? Originally I was thinking to implement the LinearPi with UcConditioner, but in this configurations the supercapacitors stick to much out in the height, whereas the UcPure with Ultracapacitors are very neatly stacked (just as Ian posted on 07.Jun).

@eduard In relationship to the SC clocks: What difference would you expect from UcPure IV contrary to the MKIII?

Thank you.
You don’t have to mount the UcConditioner on top of the LinearPi. If you have enough horizontal space you can simply mount them next to the LinearPi.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
As Ian has stated Ucpure will be the best but you need some room inside your chassis. You need to secure them in a safe way so they wont move inside the metal enclosure when you will take your latest build to an audiophile friend. At the first speedbump you will hear a sound coming from your trunk.
Of course a good idea to cover the supercap bolts/nuts with these nylon caps.
The next badge of Ucpure MK3 should be with UcBalancer included. It will keep the two supercaps as identical as possible for a decade or two.
It could be that within two years they can make more than 3000 F in the same can ,then of course we all should get a new pair.
Greetings, Eduard

I understand the enthusiasm for the UcBalancer and SC-PURE, but IMO we should try our best to refrain from asking about timelines.

Ian churns out amazing, sometimes unexpected products to fill a need time and time again including iterations. SinePi was out of the blue, Andrea's legendary Engineering would not shine as bright (not literally) without the SinePi in the Chain. Now UcPure w/ UcBalancer providing clean stable power to the Clean Side of the SinePi plugs another bottleneck. The Transport Pi MKII is underappreciated too as you can work natively in pure 5.68 Mhz Andrea optimal mode for Redbook. The MKI needed a Andrea doubler. So Ian does an amazing job to fill the gap given space and time. This will in time give me a pure SuperCap Clean chain with zero bottlenecks. SuperCap Power w/ Andrea's best clock -> SuperCap Power FPGA Q7 / Transport Pi MKII w/ a realtime low latency kernel -> FPGA DAC powered by SuperCaps. Oh, you wanted 12V UcPure, give Ian a little time, BOOM! without timeline requests needed.

If everything is about timelines, the passion may fade. This is Ian's life work. If it's all about timelines and business, it can get dull. I admire the QC and stability in the long run by just giving a little extra room. Maybe he won't give sneak peeks in the future if timelines are constantly being mentioned?

For example, I ordered the Eaton protection / balance boards the same month-year the Ukraine War broke out. I only recently canceled the Eaton protection boards a few months ago after noticing I need to deal with rivets. Then to my surprise, UcBalancer is announced. Of course, I would like it yesterday but it's easy to wait for a few months or even to the end of the year or more. The alternative is to pre-order Eaton Balance boards again, but that's another one year wait and no guarantee due to supply chain issues. So waiting for UcBalance is not that difficult when you put it in perspective. And since it's Ian's own creation, you know it's going to work seamlessly with the UcPure.

But I admire those whom attempt Transformers and Rivets. That's something I like to avoid since I'm a simpleton. Without Andrea's and Ian's help in this hobby, I would of gave up a long time ago and would of ended of filled with regret because I woudn't of known what I was missing (I have the fastest transient response attack in my niche since I have zero traditional amps in the chain. traditional amps just laggy and distored.). But we need to give them space to be creative and thorough with due diligence. Plus, I'm all about off-grid so having a RFI/EMI-filtered power outlet along with Medical Grade Mean Well DC makes more sense. I want nothing to do with Mains and thanks to Ian's Engineering efforts, I'm isolated from Mains if I implement correctly on my side and read the instructions/manuals.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Of course if new products are announced people will start asking when they are going to be available
If you have a circuit connected to your supercaps that draws considerable current ( Q7 plus future clocks) the Ucpure circuit has to be altered to recharging mode ten? times a day when used 24/7 which would be the best option for the clocks.
In the past people made 500 volt electrolytic caps by putting two 300 volts caps in series with two '' resistors on top '' . Very probably these two caps are less alike than two supercaps but i still would go for the extra safety and get Ians tiny board
Already had a fire outside my house ( because of someone not doing maintenance like it should be) dont wanna start one myself.
Greetings, eduard

Attachments

• 2023-06-10 (2).png
    2023-06-10 (2).png
    323.8 KB · Views: 78
@Drive Shaft
I posted a detailed Video on how to assemble the UCPure with Eaton's Ultra Capacitors use it as a rough guide but still do your own research and observe all safety parameters and build at your own Risk. I suggest you cover the Eaton's screws or shrink wrap the entire Caps and use the Fused switched output when feeding your project. Finish building your project on a steady plank tie the Caps down to the plank to avoid things moving then Charge last. Be safe and Enjoy the music.

Thanks again for this. It's very helpful for a Simp like myself. I would of needed the Rivet portion if Ian did not announce the UcBalancer. I was only set on Eaton Balance boards which are mandatory Rivets.

But my main takeaway was safety which I put on the back-burner since I'm eager to get the ball rolling.

So eventually, I'm going to heat shrink since I have those tools on hand. I have invested in Nylon M12 Nuts but not with Safety as a concern. I didn't know touching bare metal with both ends was a thing since I try to go industrial plastic only. So having Nylon nuts + heat shrink + electrial tape + industrial plastic container should suffice.

So now with Transformer talk and a re-emphasis on safety in the SuperCap video, I'll re-focus and take a step back.

Only thing I will need in the long term is the Molex part no for the UcBalancer Rivet setup. I'm planning to use Continuous mode so I will Molex up top once I trial-and-error with the optimal USB guage (20 or 22). So I'll Molex-up the Rivet wires too at the same time once I'm familiar.

I'm not singling anyone out. It's Human Nature. Every other thread page has a timeline question. All of us do this, but it would be nice to just take a step back to consider Ian has a lot on his plate. Is asking about a timeline directly really going to speed things up?

For example, Pulsar Clocks which were the Gold Standard for that format has disappeared from history for I'm guessing at least five years. Now, Ian is putting in extra work to roll out SC-PURE which should exceed the performance of Pulsar Clocks in that format. So why not just give him some space? An impossible product to procure at any price, but Ian's making products only a dream not long ago. Only a time machine can get you a Pulsar Clock. And now the dream is not too far off, so why not wait until it becomes a reality? Why add pressure? Sure, sometimes asking about time may not be literal but why even bring up a timeline? Our Inner Monologue cannot help it, but if we put ourselves in Ian's shoes or just think about all that's Ian has done we should cut some slack.

Andrea's Arc was a Golden Era here on this site:

I have this (Gold Standard, but different Clock format):
https://www.thewellaudio.com/twtmc-drixo/

The output goes into Ian's SinePi -> Q7....

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ise-jitter-crystal-oscillator.261651/page-255

Here, it got praise from one of the owners of an Audiophile company feeding a $5000 network device:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...y-at-diyaudio/?do=findComment&comment=1194598

It's rare to get a Wow moment out of a owner. I got a Wow moment too, but it's thanks to Andrea's hand holding and Ian's ingenuity with the SinePi. I believe initially these clocks were meant to be put assembled from scratch, but I'm too much of a wussy so at the end of the Arc finished builds were available. I got added hand holding from Andrea to assemble the Crystal. I'm too much of a wussy to even consider a Transformer too.

But since SC-PURE will be released, it's better to wait to see how that performs before considering the added Infrastructure of an External Clock.

Last edited: