Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Those looks WAY cooler than I could have ever imagined! Something straight out of Judge Dredd! Now the big question, how to they compare in your system to the Accusilicon clocks?
Thanks WuBai, I'm glad you like the SC-PURE clocks.

I have almost all kinds of audio clocks. I'll post the clock comparison very soon.

Ian

Reactions: 5 users
Excellent work as always Ian and look forward to the comparisons
clsidxxl

Nice clock Ian,You designed them from A to Z from a crystal SC Cut,or you worked from an established base.
---------------------

Thanks guys,

SC-Pure was designed especially for the SC-CUT crystals. Different from all other oscillators I have experienced, SC-Pure uses some great technologies to get the best possible performance out of the SC-CUT crystals. I'll post more information later.
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fight-the-jitter.192465/page-425#post-7344391

SC-PURE0 by Ian, on Flickr

Reactions: 2 users
Hello Vlad,

For me Raspberry Pi 4 it`s just to noisy, have compared both and for me 3B have better sound with only ethernet cable connected and Ian Canada stuff.If you are going to keep Pi 4,put at least a shielding plate to the next board.Still you have more interference and noise injected on your Raspberry board.And one more advantage models up to version 3B 1.2, you can split 1,8 and 3,3v for even better performance with better power supplies.With Raspberry 4 you are going to mess up the boot sequence and not going to work.
What if you use the Isolator II from Ian Canada? It galvanically separates the GPIO of the RPI 4 from the rest of the stack. And separate power supplies of course.
I use an RPI4 because I play a lot SACD's and use the peppymeter plugin in Volumio. The shield plugin (Volumio) is installed to reserve two cores for the mpd (music player) process.
The Pi has a heatsink on top of it that also shields it. WIFI and Bluetooth are disabled.
This is my current setup, RPI 4 and AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC. And it sounds nice. But I will start building a new one based on Gabster videos. I will use a StationPI Pro and test also all Ian's boards horizontally (eddy currents). I will also test the difference between the Isolator II and Shieldpi Pro.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm really curious of your findings when you compare!
As I also want to build the best possible streamer, for certain I'll chose some options which I haven't thought of before, because I'll like some design choices of you!
Ah, and for the caps: Have you used digikey's and mouser's search, as they are really powerful and extremely well working? Then, if you have the specific part number you can look the part up with octoparts.

Has anyone an idea about quality differences between supercapacitors from Eaton and Maxwell? There is a huge pricec difference.
Eaton is + 100 € per capacitor. Maxwell 50 €.
I wouldn't buy from a certain Chinese website since these capacitors are potentially dangerous.
@Panamarenko

Please buy Eaton from Mouser or Digikey. Don't buy Maxwell from non-official distributors to avoid getting the fake ones.

Reactions: 2 users
What if you use the Isolator II from Ian Canada? It galvanically separates the GPIO of the RPI 4 from the rest of the stack. And separate power supplies of course.
I use an RPI4 because I play a lot SACD's and use the peppymeter plugin in Volumio. The shield plugin (Volumio) is installed to reserve two cores for the mpd (music player) process.
The Pi has a heatsink on top of it that also shields it. WIFI and Bluetooth are disabled.
This is my current setup, RPI 4 and AUDIOPHONICS DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M DAC. And it sounds nice. But I will start building a new one based on Gabster videos. I will use a StationPI Pro and test also all Ian's boards horizontally (eddy currents). I will also test the difference between the Isolator II and Shieldpi Pro.

Yes, that's very good idea. ShieldPiPor was designed to work with the RPi heatsink, and provide a EMI shield and a power supply filter.

Ian

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t seem to find a RPI heatsink that works with ShieldPI Pro, there is not enough room in between, can you help with a link to a heatsink?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-09 084153.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-09 084153.png
    324.3 KB · Views: 156
Reactions: 1 user
Hi Ian,

I asked in another tread wether the Mono DAC can play native DSD.

I got this answer:

IIUC, RPi GPIO Bus uses a clock generator to drive the I2S bus frame clock signal (LRCK). For Native DSD, LRCK becomes one of the DSD channel data signals. Apparently the clock generator doesn't support that. Therefore the only way to send DSD over RPi GPIO bus is via DoP protocol (DSD over PCM). In that case the PCM stream must not be altered in any way or the DSD data will be corrupted. The volume controls must be set to full volume level, and no device passing audio should be allowed to resample the audio stream (as some OS can do under some conditions). Unfortunately DoP is inefficient so the maximum DSD sample rate is cut in half as compared to using Native DSD.

For that and other reasons some people prefer to use RPi to stream over USB bus to a USB dac, instead of using the GPIO bus.

I want to play DSD with the Mono DAC and the ReclockerPi Q7. Is it possible. Do I have the make certain settings with the controler board? Also I want to try PCM 384 and higher. The max rate falls back to 192K is the max sample rate.

Thank you,
Jan

@JanDH

FifoPi Q7 has a built-in lossless DoP decoder so it plays native DSD by the DoP from GPIO. But limited by the Linux core, so far the the highest you can get is DSD128 under this configuration. The default settings will support this.

If you want to play native DSD directly without DoP, you can use a StationPiPro with an USB streamer that connects to the RPi. Up to DSD 512 can be achieved in this case.

Ian