Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter

Help please!

Today updated my FifoPiQ3/Reclockpi/DualMonaDac Stack to LinearPi power supplies.
But did a double fault: 1. did not set the Supply for the FifoPiQ3 to 3.3V 2. reversed Polarity :((

Now FifoPiQ3 seems defective. If I connect LinearPi (now set to 3.3v) to it Voltage no LinearPi sinks to around 1.1V an no LED is lit.
Any chance to troubleshoot?

Regards Branko

Sorry to hear about your mishap with the voltage. It's very easy to mis-wire something since the supply PCBs look the same! Hope you don't have to replace it. One practice I've adopted is to label my LinearPis and LifePO4 Minis (or PSUs in general) - whether they were being used for 5V or 3.3V. I also note on the Phoenix connectors which terminal is positive. I take a red Sharpie and color the positive screw terminal. Even as meticulous as I am I'm sure this has saved my bacon a time or two. I've seen images from other members who do this as well.

PXL_20230220_205104357.jpg PXL_20230220_210901348.jpg

@iancanada, I thought I remember seeing a post where you recommended which of your boards used in a DAC/streamer would benefit the most from either batteries, or ultracaps. I can't seem to locate it. On my next build I was going to power the StationPi Pro (both RPi and audio sides) with LinearPis, and the Fifopi Q7 and Dual DAC with LifePO4 minis and UcConditioners. Is this the best strategy?

I've built an audiophile grade NAA with PurePi, UcConditioner 3.3v, Combo384 and BridgePi, FifoPi Q7 with SinePi, HdmiPiPro. My DAC is Denafrips Terminator II which has two clock output, so I use them to connect to SinePi. The sound qualify is amazingly good!

Attachments

• IMG_4769.JPEG
    IMG_4769.JPEG
    652.8 KB · Views: 383
Reactions: 1 user
Amanero + BridgePi + FifoPi Q7 would replace WaveIO. I don't have enough room in my enclosure and Amanero + BridgePi + FifoPi are modular, so each module is 'on top' ... I once installed the same configuration with FifoPi Q3, but I would like to confirm that this will work too, before I order.

This isn't the question about Amanero against WaveIO, but Amanero + BridgePi + FifoPi Q7 (plus Accusilicon) against WaveIO.

here some pictures of my streamer made from products ian canada it sounds great.

ian canada products: PurePi, isolator ii, FifoMA 1.5.
the dac is from dion audio a philips 1543 nos deferentially switched including custom output transformers.
it also has a second dac (khadas tone1) that I only use for audio from TV.
furthermore a rotary encoder, infrared, 7.9 inch touchscreen and an mpd oled screen.
the front plate does not look very nice now and will eventually be replaced.
for the rest a lot of electronics recycled from an old PA amplifier.

I'm not an electronics guy, I just like to tinker with things.

Attachments

• 2023-02-26-10-20-51-223.jpg
    2023-02-26-10-20-51-223.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 359
  • 2023-02-20-17-49-14-691.jpg
    2023-02-20-17-49-14-691.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 367
  • 2023-02-26-10-31-12-544.jpg
    2023-02-26-10-31-12-544.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Dear IAN!

I need help!

I put together 2 units with FifoPi q7 and TransportPi MK2.
We use I2S output.
All settings in Volumio were made as described.
When we play dsd, my SMSL dac pops, and my friend Topping d70s dac doesn't even play.
No matter what we do on the dac or on the MonitorPi, the problem persists.If we switch the volume to dsd direct, there is no problem, but in this case it does not play dsd.
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Kornél from Hungary

I am new here, can I add these together as "a start":

• Raspberry Pi 3B+
  • Ian Canada Dual mono DAC
  • Ian Canada Output Stage IVSTD
  • Ian Canada Controller

Later: FiFoPiMa 1.5 Reclocker, maybe coax input and output.

As I understand the DAC needs to be powered by 3.3 v

Question 1: Can I use the Linearpi Solo for powering the DAC?
Question 2: Do people use the volume control on the Controller? Or does everyone use an external preamp?

The PUREPI looks pretty but I like it all to go into a box eventually....

1677593550801.png

A friend of mine ask for audiophile RPi network streamer transport solutions. I have some recommendations for him.
Just to share the options here in case somebody want to know the selections clearly.

"I recommend three fully integrated audiophile RPi network streamer transport solutions for you:

A. Low cost but still great sound quality streamer transport solution
1. TransportPi Digi (#20B)
2. UcPi (#47A)
3. Optional MonitorPi (#49A)
4. Optional acrylic cover (#51A)

B. Fully function audiophile grade RPi I2S/DSD network streamer transport
1. TransportPi MKII (#20A)
2. FifoPi MA (#1C)
3. PurePi (#48A) with optional UcConditioner 3.3V (#26A)
4. Optional MonitorPi (#49A)
5. Optional acrylic cover (#51A)

C. Flagship RPi I2S/DSD network streamer transport
1. HdmiPi Pro (#17B) or TransportPi AES
2. FifoPi Q7 (#1D)
3. StationPi SMT (#35C)
4. LinearPi 5V(#32A)
5. UcConditioner 5V (#25A)
6. LifePO4 Mini 3.3V (#42A)
7. UcConditioner 3.3V (#26A)
8. MonitorPi (#49A)
"
D. Simplified flagship RPi I2S/DSD network streamer transport
1. HdmiPi Pro (#17B) or TransportPi AES
2. FifoPi Q7 (#1D)
3. PurePi (#48A)
4. UcConditioner 3.3V (#26A)
5. MonitorPi (#49A)

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

UpgradeUcConditioner by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
Thanks, this is a good way to think about such a project.

Doing such a same post for the streamer/dac would be great too:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I asked Ian but no reply so i copy and paste part of message to see if anybody else can help.

Hello Ian,
Already a few months ago i finished what i call my digital tower as you have probably seen on diy audio.
I chose to do it the best i can piling up to many boards right from the start so when things are not working i have no clue where to look!!
ALL the power supplies are working because i tested them with a big load resistor and most circuit boards have some kind of indication to show there is power present.
When i disconnect the connection to the Italian clock boards it is also indicated.
All the leds that you installed on the boards show me things are working. I mean they show that the boards are '' connected ''

If i will order the monitor Pi in Paris will i be able to get '' additional information '' that will tell why there is no music??

Greetings, Eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
I am using the DDDAC board which gets its input from a pile of Ian circuit using the pictured adapter.
There are:
The '' old '' station pi
Fifopi Q3
Reclockpi
Sinepi
The '' old '' lifePO4 board.
Several conditioners with supercaps.
The raspberry Pi circuit.
The clockboards from Italy with power supply from DDDAC designer.
Roon Nucleus.
EtherRegen from Uptone audio.
There are no leds showing that something is not working. If i disconnect the Italian clocks it will be indicated by the leds.

So just wondering if i will install the Monitor Pi circuit it will provide additional information that could tell me more about why i dont have any music right now?
P.s ordering this board wont be that difficult.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• fifo toren 3.jpg
    fifo toren 3.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 46A_DDDAC_UFL_Adapter.jpg
    46A_DDDAC_UFL_Adapter.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 231
  • Eduard_Boards.jpg
    Eduard_Boards.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 226
  • 20220108_123715.jpg